Cabo for 1st time

3,109 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Keeper of The Spirits
MAGA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My fiance and I are going to Cabo next weekend. Planned it when the football team is off.

I have never been but she has 2-3 times.

We're staying at the JW Marriott. What is the best transportation to hotel and back to airport? Taxi or shuttle?

And if shuttle anyone have a name of a company?

Plus what are the mist do's in a 4 day stay.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Maros for a bulldog and bad ass seafood.
Texas Ag Mom
Just FYI. Cabo is a region made up of 2 towns. San Jose del Cabo where the airport is & Cabo San Lucas which is about 30 min south of SJ. The JW is a bit north of SJ. I would estimate the drive time to CSL to be about 45-50 min. SJ is the smaller of the 2 & a pretty quiet small town. If you plan on taking a taxi between the 2 towns it will cost a fortune so you might think about renting a car. If you decide to rent a car be very careful who you rent from. Lots of scams on rental cars!
MAGA
AG
I'm just very leery of driving in Mexico. If you have a wreck your screwed.
The Lost
I'd just take the shuttle since you're staying at a large hotel. We stayed at an air bnb between the cities so we rented from hertz. Super easy, no issues at all.
Mustang1
AG
Cabo Adventures- zip line or dolphin tours are an option
ORAggieFan
The JW is great. Stayed there in June. It is a drive to San Lucas.

Must hit Flora Farms. Real close. In downtown San Jose there is a place called Claros Tacos or similar. Amazing fish tacos. Lots of locals.

Hit Walmart and buy some beer. Insanely priced at resort.
Ted Logan
AG
Downtown Cabo is actually pretty trashy. I was there last month and didn't care for it at all. We stayed at the marina because we were fishing, so everything was within walking distance. The second we stepped off hotel property, people were offering us fake cigars. As soon as you tell them no, they'd offer coke and weed. Cabo Wabo was dead and most of the nightlife pretty much sucked in the downtown area.
Ted Logan
AG
Having said that....I can't wait to go back (for the fishing)
KDubAg
AG
Ted Logan said:

Having said that....I can't wait to go back (for the fishing)
Any recs for fishing charters? Going there in Nov. I've seen other threads already, but what's your recommendation?
Ted Logan
AG
We went out with redrumCabo. They run a bunch of different boats with different price points so you can cheap or expensive if you want. Their website shows all the boats. We were on 19's Toy which was a 35' Bertram. Very comfortable boat and the staff was great. That was the only time I've been to Cabo, and I would definitely use them again when I go back.
MAGA
AG
Decided to just pay for a shuttle to and from airport/hotel.

I just can't risk driving in Mexico. I wish I could.
bam02
AG
I emailed back and forth with a few shuttle services for best price to CSL. They pretty much were all identical price-wise. We went with Cabo Ground Services. Great service and nice vehicles.

Fish as much as you can. Eat as much as you can.

We had one of the best sushi dinners we've ever had at Nik San and one of the best meals period at Edith's. You have to go to Edith's.
ORAggieFan
I rented a car and no issues. Being at JW really glad I did. No options to leave without it.

I called Amex and got details of coverage. Basically had everything covered. If you do rent go with big American company like Avis. It's about 25 minute easy drive.

You're basically in the burbs. Cabs will not be a good option.
Ag_07
AG
bam02 said:

We had one of the best sushi dinners we've ever had at Nik San

This.

We did a half day fishing trip and stepped off the boat and took our catch to Nik San for lunch. Hell upon arrival the fish was too warm to cut so we had drinks at the bar while it cooled down. We told them it was up to the them what to make but to just make as many dishes as possible. They brought out dish after dish after dish of shashimi and sushi made up different ways.

Best sushi we've ever eaten anywhere. We basically crawled back to the room.
Texas Ag Mom
I have never not rented a car in Cabo however I certainly understand the hesitation. The Cabo "regulars" recommend 3 specific car rental companies if you change your mind. As I said before there are lots of scams running in the Cabo car rental industry so be careful. The big "American" car rental names don't really have much bearing when renting in Mexico where they do things their own way. People are always shocked when they get a quote online & when they arrive they find out that the car cost double the price because of the insurance. You have to know what the insurance rules are & be prepared because they will lie to you at the counter.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g152515-i84-k9903341-Car_rentals_in_Cabo_San_Lucas-Cabo_San_Lucas_Los_Cabos_Baja_California.html
The Lost
Yeah, the hertz guys tried to blame me for damage already on the car, but I told pics right when we rented it and he gave up real quick when I showed him.
flown-the-coop
AG
We went last January and rented a car from Avis. I was concerned as well but do your research on TripAdvisor and Flyertalk. Mexico requires a basic level of insurance for rental cars. They use to quote their rates without that coverage but a law was passed in the last couple of years and your quoted rate MUST include that basic coverage (liability i beleive). We added the LDW equivalent for a 4 day rental on a Fiat 400 and I think it was just over $300 all in.

As others have said, the JW is in Puerto Los Cabos, which is north and east of San Jose del Cabo. We drover to CSL and it is about 40-45. Depending on your desires, I wouldnt even mess with going down there. Artista at the JW is phenomenal and there are some really great dining options in SJC. Its geared to the retired white folk so plenty of art stores, nice food, etc.

I would not stay at the JW if you are against renting a car. Unless you intend to not leave the resort. Drive from airport is easy on the bypass (do not go the old route) and stop at the Mega Mart for alcohol and snacks.
MAGA
AG
We have had a great time in Baja California Sur.

The JW Marriott is outstanding. Very secluded from the rest of the world down here. Very quite and relaxing resort and staff is so nice. 13 pools and all infinity pools. Adult only poor with swim up bar.

Have gone to Cabo San Lucas 2x. We did. A dinner cruise on a yacht to the Sea of Cortez/Pacific, love the Lands End.

Took taxi last night to Cabo Wabo, Marina and Ruth's Chris, cab was $60 one way but oh well.

Friday night went into San Jose del Cabo and ate dinner at a local mom and pop Mexican cantina called Las Guacamayas. We had Stone Bowls with melted queso with fajita and chicken. Sizzling hot.

I will definitely be back to Cabo. Love it here.
BCS AG 2012
AG
My wife and I used Transcabo when we went on our honeymoon last summer. Very friendly drivers that speak English and they have beverages on the shuttle. I would definitely use them again if I go back. We booked online prior to the trip and everything was paid for before we got there. Shuttle was on time both ways.

http://www.transcabo.com/
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Sounds like a great trip, but did you really go to Ruth's Chris in Cabo?
TP Ag '87
AG
Travel agent/friend rec'd these restaurants:

The Office on the Beach
Flora's Field Kitchen
Edith's
El Farallon
Sea Grill at Las Ventanas

This is for wife and young kids so,... any thoughts?

Thx.
MAGA
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Sounds like a great trip, but did you really go to Ruth's Chris in Cabo?

Yes we did. I'm a big fan of RC's. I go to a RC almost anytime im out of town if there is one there.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I knew a guy who did that with Del Frisco's, they used to give you a coin at every new Del Frisco's you went to
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.