SPG Marriott merger

1,921 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by flown-the-coop
Jock 07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just merged my SPG and Marriott accounts. My gold status from SPG got me gold with Marriott
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Long time Marriott gold member. Will admit that Marriott gold has treated me pretty well.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I am a long time SPGer, I am interested to see how this will go, lots more options but lots more people with access to high end spg props
07&09Ag
anyone know how it will work the other way. I'm platinum with mariott and wonder what that will get with SPG
flown-the-coop
AG
Platinum at Marriott, linked and IMMEDIATELY receive email from SPG saying welcome to Platinum status.

Points can be transferred from Marriott to SPG at a 3 to 1 rate. Nice deal.
HeightsAg
I am a Lifetime Platinum SPGer and I hate the merger. I have little to no interest in staying at most Marriott properties and I believe Marriott will slowly kill off many of the benefits that made SPG such a great loyalty program. I plan to burn all my points and go Hyatt or Hilton come 2018 when the merger goes into full effect. On the other hand, I'm sure Marriott folks love that this went through.
farmer95
AG
Just made SPG Lifetime Platinum last week. Put me in the 'not too excited about the merger category'. I fully expect the lifetime benefit to be very diluted if it remains at all after the programs combine.
Matsui
AG
instant linked me as well. i'm a marriott fanboy, so i love this.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I think the merger adds a lot of budget friendly properties in cities that Starwood is not. While that's great for redemption, the added members to the program will dilute the availability of the Starwoods luxury brands on points.
Ag CPA
AG
Ag CPA
AG
Noted that my Starwood gold transferred to Marriott gold (which is a higher status considering stays); maybe that's a consolation prize.

Everyone needs to quit crying, across the board Marriott is still better than what you are going to consistently get out of Hilton or Hyatt if you are a serious traveler.
Matsui
AG
Hilton downgraded their programs a few years ago. Lots of Hilton fanboys moved over to Marriott which I think is the best.
aggiedata
AG
quote:
Points can be transferred from Marriott to SPG at a 3 to 1 rate. Nice deal.
Should I transfer to SPG from Marriott or vise versa?

I'm not Gold on either.
Random Ag
AG
I am a Marriott Gold (50+ nights year) and I was a little disappointed to only get SPG Gold, which I understand to be 25 nights a year. Seems a bit like a consolation prize for SPG folks to get a 'higher' status at Marriott.
While I am sure SPG has more luxury properties, in last few years Marriott has done a bit better - Edition and Grand Bohemian 'chains' are 2 examples.
RangerRick9211
AG
The 1:3 is SPG to Marriott.

E.g., 83.3k SPG = 250k Marriott = 7 night cert. (Cat. 1-5) & 100k RRs, i.e. on the doorstep of Companion Pass.

You've always been able to combine URs with a spouse. But with the merger and SPG's spouse combination as well, you the ability to combine spouse points from Amex MRs, Chase URs and SPG/Marriott.

For us, it also means we know have a Chase UR to Alaska link for Emirates' redemptions.
TXAGFAN
AG
Matsui said:

Hilton downgraded their programs a few years ago. Lots of Hilton fanboys moved over to Marriott which I think is the best.
I was a Hilton guy for years. I prefer Marriott's program, but find the places I'm going and properties I'm staying at for work with Marriott are not as nice. For example, Hiltons lower end properties like Hampton Inn are more consistent and often nicer than Courtyards and Fairfield Inns.
Texas Ag Mom
We are Marr Plat & I have linked our accts but I am not really sure how this helps me. It gives me more options for cashing in points but if I understand correctly it will cost me a lot more Marr pts to stay in an SPG property. We travel a lot & we almost always stay in a Marr. We are Hilton members as well but I like the Marr website for booking a lot more. The biggest advantage for me is that when you pull up available room categories you can click on "room details" & for most properties you get updated info on how old the hotel is &/or recent renovations. I always choose a hotel based on this info. As far as I know Hilton doesn't provide this info so they loose biz from me.
HeightsAg
Of course the redemption is going to be different since the way/rate that you earn points are drastically different on a per dollar spent basis between the two programs. The right way to evaluate whether it's worth converting and redeeming your points is redemption value of a hotel point. For SPG, if you can get $0.02/point, you are doing pretty well. That means it would have costed you $200 w/ tax for a 10,000 night property. Any lower than $0.0175, I typically will just pay out of pocket. I don't know what is considered "good" for Marriott but certainly you can't compare one SPG point to one Marriott point. I've found that many people focus a lot of effort on how to earn as much point as possible but not nearly as enough on how to maximize redemption.
flown-the-coop
AG
For those who don't already visit, Flyertalk is THE resource on these topics.

I have been a Hilton Diamond for 15 years and a Marriott Platinum for the past year. I will say the overall recognition and upgrades are better with Marriott. YMMV
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.