Where to stay in London and Paris for a first timer

1,602 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Vernada
AggieMavsfan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My fiance and I are traveling through Europe in 2 weeks. We will be in Paris for 2 days at the start of October, and then London for 2 days after that. We are booking accommodations sort of last minute because I had a long, complicated passport ordeal. We have been targeting AirBNBs that are are $100 a night. London and Paris are more expensive than the cities we are starting in though. In Paris, I think I'm set on a place in the 5th arrondissement, conveniently located for Notre Dame and luxembourg gardens with good metro access.

London, I haven't done much research yet. Flying in and out of Gatwick (LGW). As of now, my London list of attractions include Portobello Road Market and Westminister Abbey. Any suggestions on where to stay in London?
Cody 91
AG
If you're on a budget the Holiday Inn Notre Dame is usually cheap and has views of the Eiffel Tower. Rooms are small but that's Paris. It is right next to the metro station, as well. It might be called HI San Michel.
Kurt Gowdy
AG
Both cities have excellent metros/undergrounds. Just find a spot close to a station and you should be fine.

With only two days in each city, you won't be in your room at all so don't overspend on a room because of its "premiere" location.
schmendeler
AG
I can second the fifth arrondissement. Haven't stayed in London.
aggiegal99
When we were in London, we stayed with family in Golders Green. It's about a 15-20 minute Tube ride from the heart of London. I just did a quick search, and there are several hotel/B&B type places that came up in your price range right around that Tube station. It's right near Hampstead Heath, which is a big, beautiful park.

I'm sure there are similar places that are 15-20 minutes out of the heart of London where you can stay cheaper but easily access all the sights. The Tube is very easy to navigate.
f2foxes2001
AG
Can't comment on London, but I can comment on Paris. We really like to stay in the 7th Arrondismenent, which is just south of the Eiffel Tower and just north of the Ecole Militar. The area is known as the Rue Cler shopping area. Easy access to the Metro, the tower, the museums, Champs Elysses and most of central Paris.
Griffle
Did Paris and London last year by myself, so my choices of accomodations may not be up to taking the lady, but I'll let you decide. In Paris, I stayed in the 5th and chose a place called Home Latin which is about a 5 minute walk from Notre Dame. It is a no frills place, but extremely well cared for and cheap compared to most other hotels.

In London I stayed around Westminster at the Comfort Inn London on Buckingham Palace road. It was more of a residential area, but close enough to a tube stop and I actually walked to a lot of places as well. Don't remember price, but think it was comparable to Home Latin. One note. Turning on the shower to steam your clothes will set off the fire alarm. Don't ask me how I know, I just know.

Hoping to make the same trip or some variation of it in April. Good luck.

Edit. I believe Home Latin ran me $130 per night.
beachfront71
AG

Vernada
AG
quote:
Can't comment on London, but I can comment on Paris. We really like to stay in the 7th Arrondismenent, which is just south of the Eiffel Tower and just north of the Ecole Militar. The area is known as the Rue Cler shopping area. Easy access to the Metro, the tower, the museums, Champs Elysses and most of central Paris.

Look up hotel Relais Bosquet. Great place in the rue cler area that I've stayed at a few times.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.