NYC for a first timer

3,323 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Always_Right
Scotts Tot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The wife and I are planning on heading to NYC for 4 or 5 days in Deccember. I haven't been, so I'm a little unsure of which neighborhood we should choose to stay in. We'll spend a little time doing tourist stuff just because I've never been there and feel like there are a few things I should see, but in general I'm more concerned with staying in a nice area with great restaurants and bars, and more of a "real" NY feel, rather than touristy areas full of chain hotels/restaurants/stores.

From what I can tell after a little research, I'm thinking the Village and Union Square areas are more our speed, but I'm sure there are plenty of folks here who are pretty familiar with the city, so I thought it would be worth asking for a little advice.

Thanks!
jeffdjohnson
I would stay in Midtown. NYC isn't really a place full of suburbia style restaurants/hotels regardless of where you stay. There is something interesting on every corner. I like Midtown due to its walk ability to "big ticket items" like Central Park, Museums, Times Square, Rockefeller, Empire State, etc... At the end of the day it won't matter that much as everything is just a few Subway stops away. It will be pretty damn cold in December though.
Scotts Tot
AG
Thanks for the input. I know it's likely to be chilly, but it's a time that works for us, and we thought it would be cool to be up there around Christmas anyway.
Jay@AgsReward.com
Sponsor
AG
If you are looking for unique to NYC bars and restaurants you are on the right track with the East/West Village. Most of the hotels close the good nightlife in the area are the in Union Square area. There is a W and a Hyatt in Union Square and heard good things about the Walker Hotel on W 13th. And you can get to any tourist destination very quickly from Union Square as it very centrally located with major subway station.
ATM9000
AG
I live in Fairfield County and go into the city 1-2 times a week. Stay on the 4/5/6 Subway line. Union Square is a good spot. You can do Midtown in about a day to a day and half (and you should btw) and your most 'NY' type of bar and restaurant experiences are as someone already said in East Village and into Greenwich. I like Union Square because of the subway connectivity right now and personally think most of the food and drinks suck in Midtown unless you know where you are going (which you won't as a first timer to the city).
SA68AG
AG
As a first timer, I'd recommend staying in midtown. Everything is pretty much within walking distance.
Great time of the year to visit.
Kurt Gowdy
AG
Agree with Union Square. I stayed at the Hyatt Place in the mid 30's and Broadway last Christmas and made a note that the Hyatt at Union Square is where we should stay next time because most of our sight seeing was down that way and it looked very convenient.

htxag09
AG
I hate NYC, but love NYC during Christmas. They do it right. Try to get tickets to the Rockettes Christmas show.
Sliced Clown Bread
AG
My wife and I go to NYC a week or two before Christmas almost every year for the past 10 years. Village and Union Square are both good choices. It is harder to find a hotel in the Village, there aren't that many maybe you could try AirBnB. We like the Walker Hotel in Greenwich Village.
Btw, last year it was actually a little warm leading up to Christmas so I would just check the weather.
Here is my list of just Christmas related stuff we have done through the years:
[ol]
  • Macy Windows and store.
  • Bryant Park ice Rink, shops, etc.
  • Kennedy Center
  • Union Square Shops outside some Christmas related some not.
  • There is a holiday market on the southwest corner of central park.
  • Central Park
  • All the stores on 5th avenue just south of the park.
  • Grand Central station has a couple cool things going on.
  • The Morgan museum has the original manuscript of the Christmas Carol on Display.
  • If you like Christmas music, all the churches have Christmas programs. The music schools also have Christmas programs some of these are free. Most of these start at the beginning of December and end in the middle.
  • [/ol]
    TXTransplant
    I'll be there the week of Thanksgiving with my son. Are there many Christmas decorations up at that time?
    Blackstreet
    AG
    Great recs everyone. I'm heading there second week of December as well.
    Scotts Tot
    AG
    fw_ag and others - thanks a bunch for the great input and recommendations...very helpful!
    BlueAg2003
    AG
    You never know what it will be like weather-wise. I was there on Christmas Eve this past year through New Year's Eve. It was about 75 degrees on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Then a major snow storm came in and there was freezing rain and ice. I'll be up there again visiting family during that same time, so my packing will be interesting.
    SbisaVictim95
    AG
    One thing I always mention, is to take in the observation deck at Rockefeller Center. Great views of Central park and lower Manhattan, including the Empire State Building. The view is also cleaner.

I haven't been since Freedom Tower has been open, but there's an observation deck there that looks pretty incredible from the Youtube vids I've watched.
    BlueAg2003
    AG
    Both have great views but the added bonus of Freedom Tower is the kickass elevator ride.
    Bulldog73
    AG
    The only thing that's kept me from booking a NYC Christmas time trip is weather uncertainty. I don't know how often it's truly an issue, but the idea of getting stuck there a couple days longer with a tight schedule with family stuff or work has me pretty gun shy.
    Always_Right
    AG
    quote:
    The only thing that's kept me from booking a NYC Christmas time trip is weather uncertainty. I don't know how often it's truly an issue, but the idea of getting stuck there a couple days longer with a tight schedule with family stuff or work has me pretty gun shy.
    Went in 2014 the week of Christmas and going again this year the week before Christmas. Its a small sample size but it was colder in Texas than NYC when we were last there, very mild weather for the most part. Its hit or miss but I would never allow possible weather to keep me from experiencing NYC at Christmas time, truly magical there that time of year.
    Greener Acres
    AG
    Great time to go! The weather will be fine and if its cold then you'll get to see what its like to actually need a jacket and scarf in the winter. Christmas in NYC is awesome. The Rockefeller center will be packed but definitely check it out at night.

Your ideas of where to stay are spot on. Don't stay in Midtown. There's plenty to do in the areas you're looking at and you'll find better options for dining and local fun. Also, skip Macy's. It's like a Wal-Mart Black Friday sale during the Pre-Christmas period.

BSD
    AG
    How busy is lower Manhattan on a Saturday? We want to try to hit the 9/11 Museum and walk around before riding the Staten Island Ferry. Would it be better on a Monday when the tourists are gone?

Same question for the Met...
    FriendlyAg
    Downtown isn't very busy on a Saturday, especially if it's a little chilly out. I was there in February there wasn't many people out walking around.

Then again, it was 15 degrees.
    LOAD2000
    AG
    The wife and I love NYC at Christmas time! The city really does that time of year right!

You might want to check out dinner at the Sea Grill. It is on the same level as the Rockefeller ice rink, so you get a great view with your dinner. Also need to check out the Rockettes at Radio City or the Nutcracker at the NYCB. Both are top notch shows that time of year.

Little Italy (Mulberry St) is also pretty cool to walk around with the Christmas decorations up.
    oneeyedag
    Freedom tower is head and shoulders above the empire state bldg. Plus it puts you right there with the memorial.

Riding 1776 feet in about 3 to 5 seconds is a sweet ride too.

As someone whose spent a career in emergency services, it touches me in no other way I can explain.
    ATM9000
    AG
    So everyone is clear the Freedom Tower elevator doesn't reach 240 MPH. Would be cool though!
    oneeyedag
    Alright math geek; but if sure felt like it. Actual time is about 45 seconds @ 2000 ft/min.
    FriendlyAg
    Well, that estimation was way off. 3-5 and 45.
    BSD
    AG
    How much time should I allocate to the MET?
    FriendlyAg
    BSD said:

I can't answer but the entrance fee is suggested! Don't pay 25 bucks unless you want to
    BSD
    AG
    FriendlyAg said:

BSD said:

I can't answer but the entrance fee is suggested! Don't pay 25 bucks unless you want to

I believe in supporting places that provide a service to me so I don't mind paying a nominal fee.
    myags8215
    The MET is huge and one of the world's premiere museums. We are members and visit almost every time we are in NYC. You could easily devote an entire day to the MET and Central Park. If you're not up for that, you can see some of the highlights in 2-3 hours.
    BSD
    AG
    Thanks for the info. Our plan is to indeed spend an entire day at the Met and the park! The reason I asked about allotment is that we may head to Per Se's salon for lunch between the two and they stop lunch service at 1:30 (Met opens at 10:00am). What I think I'll do is sign up for a early tour of the museum (8:30am) and see all I can by noon, head to lunch, then the park, and back to the Met if I feel the need to see more.
    CFTXAG10
    AG
    Just got back from my first trip to NYC on Wednesday. Stayed in Times Square at the Crowne Plaza Hotel. Location was great and I actually found it was easy to get around the city once you are actually in it. Longest rides are from the airport to your hotel and back again. Took a cab, about $40-$45 each way.

Places I ate that I enjoyed:
    Times Square
    -Carmines (nicer sit down Italian)
    -Tonys Di Napoli (nicer sit down Italian)
    -Rays or Patzeria for a quick slice
    Little Italy
    -Alleva (Not a place to sit and eat but the food is excellent!)
    China Town
    -Flaming Kitchen (great food and excellent lunch menu - nice restrooms/wifi/etc)

-Don't be afraid to hop on the subway or take a bus, the transit system made it possible to get around town to pretty much any location in 20-30 minutes. Get a Metrocard and ride away.
    -Google Maps was pretty damn accurate. Great for mapping out your walk, subway, or bus ride.
    -Carry some cash. A lot of street vendors won't take a debit/credit card.

Have fun and report back on this thread how it went. Safe travels!
    Always_Right
    AG
    LOAD2000 said:

The wife and I love NYC at Christmas time! The city really does that time of year right!

You might want to check out dinner at the Sea Grill. It is on the same level as the Rockefeller ice rink, so you get a great view with your dinner. Also need to check out the Rockettes at Radio City or the Nutcracker at the NYCB. Both are top notch shows that time of year.

Little Italy (Mulberry St) is also pretty cool to walk around with the Christmas decorations up.
    Going this year, doing both the Rockettes an Nutcracker.
    Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.