Boston over July 4 with kids

1,036 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggiegal99
aggiegal99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Considering a trip to Boston with our sons, ages 11 and 13. I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive, at least for Boston, place to stay, either hotel or AirBnB. We would be arriving late (11pm), so easy access from airport to location is important. We would like to go see the fireworks, so easy access to Esplanade (or should we watch from Cambridge side?) is important. We don't mind traveling on the Metro, but would like an interesting local area around hotel.

Any recommendations of specific places to stay?
AgFan1999
AG
I stayed at the Embassy Suites at the airport when I was there 3-4 years ago. There was a T stop right there (hotel even had a shuttle to the stop - just had to request it in advance but the distance to the T was walkable). Breakfast was included.

Thought I remembered the room being $200? I can check my paperwork.
aggiegal99
I'm looking at an AirBnB that's in Revere, just north of Boston and walking distance to last stop on blue line. It's a block from the water.

Any thoughts on that area?
LOAD2000
AG
We just did Boston on the 4th this last year (and unfortunately got to watch the Red Sox beat up on the Rangers at the same time). It was a great trip and you will have a blast.

We stayed at a downtown hotel (Hotel Godfrey) that was very centrally located to everything , which made it nice. It was a newly renovated place, so the rooms were a bit smallish but very up to date with amenities. It was nice being able to walk less than 10 minutes to get everywhere (freedom trail, River Side, Sea Side, North Side, etc.).

We rode the T quite a bit, and had no issues. Be aware that it is often running late due to one thing or another (as compared to NYC subways), so keep some float time with your scheduling.

There are always a ton of events going on for the week of the 4th (Harborfest, etc.) so it is a great time to visit the city.

bigboykin
AG
I'm heading up in 1.5 weeks for some training. I'm staying up north in Burlington, but don't mind riding the T or taking the rental into town. Any other recommendations?
beatlesphan
AG
Boston resident here. For the things you describe, I'd recommend staying in downtown, Beacon Hill, or the Back Bay, with the Back Bay being preferable esp the part closest to Boston Common. Most key Boston experiences will be walkable from these places. Revere would be ok but you're kinda on the other side of town and away from everything. You'd have to take the T to get to some parts of the heart of Boston. And like the other poster mentioned the T kinda sucks if you're running on any kind of schedule.

The airport is in East Boston and essentially by itself. Nowhere is super easy access though nowhere is far away either. Be aware that your options after landing (assuming you do not rent a car) include either 1) taxi, which is terrible and the drivers asks you where to go or 2) uber black, which is what I recommend. Regular uber does not pick up from the airport (but can indeed drop off).

Fire away any other questions if you got em.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggiegal99
Thanks for the advice.

We booked a hotel for now, but will likely drop it for an AirBnB when we find the right place. I've about convinced myself that spending a bit more to be closer in will be worth it. My husband and I usually travel fairly cheaply, but having the kids with us changes things a bit.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.