A week in London in December.

1,042 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jeffdjohnson
Sliced Clown Bread
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Planning on spending a week in London sometime before Christmas. Any ideas on things to do?

I have never been to London before.

Thanks in advance.
ChipFTAC01
AG
By yourself or with spouse, kids? What type of interests?
Sliced Clown Bread
AG
I will be with wife and no kids. I like historic stuff. Wife likes royal history. We both like architecture.
Sliced Clown Bread
AG
Also, is there a good part of town to get a hotel?
Always_Right
AG
What's your email address, I'm going in March of next year and have already been researching, I have some things I can send you.
Ag CPA
AG
Pack warm clothes, it will be cold as ****e.

As long as you are close to an underground station I don't know if it matters that much where you stay. When I was younger we usually stayed at B&Bs around Victoria Station; from there it is easy to walk to Buckingham and Westminster, while St. Paul's, the Tower and the major museums are an easy tube ride (or a long walk).

Now I am usually there for work and stay around Hyde Park or the City/financial district, which is cool but can clear out after work.
DD88
AG
You can purchase Oyster Cards to get around on the Tube. The cost maxes out about 7.50 pounds per day.

We visited St. Paul's Cathedral, Westminster Abbey, the British Museum, London Bridge, one of the Globe Theatres, and the Harry Potter 9 3/4 platform at Kings Cross Station.

We saw the outside of Buckingham Palace and London Tower, and the British Parliament, but were short on time for the tours.
Sliced Clown Bread
AG

Thanks for the help.

My email is dburns1973@yahoo.com.

aggiegal99
I went in the summer:

Churchill War Rooms
service at Westminster Abbey
sit and people watch...so many good places for this. Trafalger Square is excellent.
Tower of London is an absolute must.
Borough Market
a play at Globe Theater
Day trip to Oxford
Southbank Centre (lots of festivals and stuff)

We stayed with family near the Golders Green station. It was easy to get in and out and around.
Greener Acres
AG
I was in London for a few days in February and the weather was great. Cold enough for a coat but not bone chilling. Not sure if it's colder in December but I wouldn't think so.

The list above is solid. Definitely see the Tower. I'd recommend seeing a show as well. If you've seen one on Broadway, it's a pretty different experience and a lot more intimate in London. There are also a lot of pubs to check out. Some seem more set up for tourists but they are still cool to pop in for a drink. Also check out Gordon's Wine Bar - it's underground and great.

The food in London is amazing and you can try food from across the world. We had a ton of great meals but I'd hit Veeraswamy. There are a ton of good Indian restaurants but this is just off Piccadilly Circus on a gorgeous street with wonderful views. And the food is outstanding.

For lodging we stayed at the Hilton Hyde Park. A tad pricey but a beautiful setting looking over the park. We also had a tube stop under the building which meant we had easy access around town. It was not loud because of that but I'd stay on a higher floor to avoid street noise. The best thing was that the restaurant attached to the hotel provided breakfast. The food was terrific and you dine in a great setting to start the morning. The hotel also has a quiet but cool old bar.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
quote:
Also, is there a good part of town to get a hotel?
Budget?

Since you'll be there during the season, think about getting tickets to an EPL match for one of the London teams. Went to a West Ham United game last January (at Upton Park before they moved) and the whole gameday experience was incredible.
Always_Right
AG
Sent you some info, hope it goes through, files were pretty large.
jeffdjohnson
This is the greatest hotel that I've personally ever stayed at. Sign up on their website, sometimes I get emails for "flash sales" that give as much as 25% off.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g186338-d5600790-Reviews-Cheval_Three_Quays-London_England.html
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.