ABQ to Durango, CO and points in between

2,846 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mpl35
chris1515
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm thinking about flying into ABQ and driving up to Santa Fe for 1,2 nights.

Seeing the sights of Santa Fe. Has anyone been to the Ghost Ranch? Is it worth the $35 for a day? I mainly want to see scenery and take photos.

From there I want to drive to Chaco Canyon and then up to Durango and stay for 2 nights. I want to ride the train there and go to Mesa Verde.

Then I might drive someplace else (don't know where yet), and stay a night before heading back to ABQ for a flight home.

Does this sound reasonable, fun? Any suggestions? I really like taking pictures of great scenery, so any suggestions along those lines are great.
histag10
AG
If you or have 2 days in Durango, and want to do the train and Mesa verde, you won't really have time to see Durango. Mesa Verde will be 1 day, trail will be 1 day.
chris1515
AG
That was the concern I had. I might put a 3rd night in Durango. Not sure yet. Thanks.
txags92
AG
You don't have to stay at Ghost Ranch to hike there. I think it is a suggested $5 per person donation to visit and hike. The trail out to Chimney Rock is a nice short hike with a spectacular view of the valley. Definitely drive up through Valles Caldera on the way and spend some time there if you can. They only let something like 25 cars per day drive in and it is first come, first serve...no reservations. So get there early. Even if you don't have the time to stop and go through Valles, take the road that way, as the views are spectacular. If you want to save some money, drive to Chama from the Ghost Ranch and stay there, then ride the Cumbres and Toltec steam train from there. Cheaper than Durango and Silverton, and some say better views along the ride. Check their schedule though as they don't run year round. Another short but cool stop on the road between Ghost Ranch and Chama is Echo Amphitheater. Perfect sound reflection from a natural stone formation. Won't take more than about 30 mins to see along the way.

That is the view from about halfway up the chimney rock trail. The trail takes you to the top of the cliff just to the right of the chimney. Beautiful view from up there.

histag10
AG
I prefer the Silverton views over Chama, but then again, the million dollar highway is one of my favorite drives, albeit stressful in snow :/
CanyonAg77
AG
So the first thing I would do is spend lots of time on Google Maps searching out routes and travel times. The roads in that part of the world tend to not be great, and the distances are huge. For instance, it's three hours from the ABQ airport to Chaco Canyon, and two more from there to Durango.

And the "three hours" is just travel time to the gate or visitors' center. Often, the actual ruins are an additional drive/hike.

In general, I like your travel plans, just keep in mind that you really don't want to spend the entire trip in a car.

I've bloviated extensively about this area in the past. Here are links to some of the threads:

http://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2436800/replies/38369511

(This one has some good photos)

http://texags.com/forums/54/topics/2765247/replies/46752080

http://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2761004/replies/46615457

http://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2468802/1

http://texags.com/forums/54/topics/2710359/replies/45208537

As far as the trains, it's a matter of personal preference. Do you like blondes or brunettes? Both the Silverton and the Cumbres and Toltec are fascinating in their own ways. Both should be on your bucket list.

If I had to choose one, I'd go with the Silverton, because I think the scenery is more "Colorado". Pine trees, mountain streams, gold mines, steep mountains and cliffs. The Cumbres wins out for the train nut, because the train yards are bigger, more accessible, and display more old equipment. On either trip, opt for the train one direction, the bus back the other. Unless you are a total train nut, you won't enjoy the round trip. And you see some different scenery off the bus.

We took the Cumbres in mid-October a few years back, and the fall colors were amazing. A couple more threads on trains.

http://texags.com/forums/54/topics/2052516/replies/30579686

http://texags.com/forums/34/topics/1951896/replies/28754546

Any questions, ask me.
chris1515
AG
I've ridden the Cumbres&Toltec from Chama, so that's the reason for the focus on Durango/Silverton.

I've booked flights and most hotels. Have 2 nights in Santa Fe and 3 in Durango with 1 night at the end still TBD.
histag10
AG
Flying out of Santa Fe? Taos is a neat little town (great shopping in the plaza). You can also visit the gorge from there.

3ish hours from Durango to taos, 1.5-2 to Santa fe
ChipFTAC01
AG
Several years ago when NM was part of my territory, I had a work trip that was going to take me from ABQ up to Santa Fe, over to Taos and then to Farmington. I was expecting the drive across northern NM to be ugly and I stocked up on a ton of CDs for the drive. I was pleasantly surprised and it was one of the prettiest drives I've ever made (although the next day's drive from Farmington up to Grand Junction is way, way prettier).

CanyonAg77
AG
The drives in that country are often a mix of awesome and mind-numbing boring. It kind of depends on what you find interesting. For instance, the drive from Taos to Tres Piedras is flat desert with the only high point being the bridge over the Rio Grande. But from Tres Piedras to Tierra Amarilla is wonderful.

The drive from Albuquerque toward Farmington is desolate in a lot of ways, but if you enjoy geology and the desert, there are some spectacular spots.
histag10
AG
if you do decide Taos, I suggest the low road between Santa Fe and Taos. It's much prettier (IMO) than the High Road.
CanyonAg77
AG
Reading your OP, and if you're going for scenery....

Out of Santa Fe, I'd go over to the Pecos wilderness. Also I'd investigate Bandolier Monument. If you go to Taos, I like the high road, but I can't argue against the low road either. Different types of scenery, both interesting.

Depending on your time, preference, etc. I'd either spend one of your Santa Fe days exploring the Los Alamos area, or drive through there on your way to Chaco.

Head out 285 north from Santa Fe. (Gabriel's is out that way, one of my favorite Santa Fe restaurants, at exit 176) At the Pojoauque (po wok e) Pueblo, exit highway 502 and head up the hill to Los Alamos. Where highway 502 and 4 split, take 502 into downtown Los Alamos. If you have time, 4 is also a pretty drive, and fascinating for the erosional patterns in the ash fall (Bandolier tuff) There's a nice overlook about halfway up the mesa on 502.

As you get to LA, one of the old guard towers is still there. And about 3/10 of a mile past it is a pullout to one of the hiking trails along the mesa edge. Worth a look. In LA are the LA Historical Museum, and the Bradbury Science Museum, both great stops if you have any interest in the Manhattan project.

Leaving LA, head out on highway 501 toward Valles Caldera. You pass through the Los Alamos National Labs. It's a little disconcerting, as you must pass through a guard gate. Just show your driver's license, be calm, and go on through. You'll be driving a public highway through the lab grounds. Were you to attempt to actually go in any of the facilities, you would be subject to much higher levels of screening.

The only legal glitch is if you don't have a license/aren't a citizen, or are carrying firearms. Even then, I don't think it matters, they really don't check closely. But if you get the willies going through security, there is a back road that takes you past the secure area. Look for W (West) Road at Diamond Drive next to the LA Medical Facility. Instead of crossing the bridge into the lab, it drops down into the valley. Kind of a pretty drive, anyway.

Continue with 501 to highway 4, and take 4 into Valles Caldera. Beautiful. From there, you can head on into Cuba on 126 and on to Chaco. There's a pretty hike up the E. Jemez at the Las Conchas trailhead and Jemez Falls is pretty.

When you get to the 4/126 split, you can take 126 to Cuba. Or drop south to Jemez Springs. Stops along there are Battleship Rock and the Soda Dam. On past Jemez, find the little road 485, which inexplicably becomes 376 a few miles down the road. This is a road along the old narrow gauge railroad route to Gilman. It takes you through the Gilman Tunnels and the spectacular Guadalupe Box. You can take 376 over miles of dirt road, north to Fenton Lake, and rejoin highway 4 to Cuba.
chris1515
AG
Thanks for all the info. I need to print this out and take with me.

Any tips for riding the train? I plan on taking a bus on the first leg and the train back. I don't know which car I want to get in though. Do they have the open flat cars like the Cumbres&Toltec has that you can stand in regardless of your ticket type?
CanyonAg77
AG
Your best bet is to look at their web site and see what is available. I don't think they have completely open cars. When I last rode years ago, they did have cars with benches down the middle, and a shade on top. You could then stand in front of the bench and lean out. I prefer being on the creek side, but the train does cross the creek a time or two, so I don't know if there is a "good" side.
mpl35
AG
quote:
Thanks for all the info. I need to print this out and take with me.

Any tips for riding the train? I plan on taking a bus on the first leg and the train back. I don't know which car I want to get in though. Do they have the open flat cars like the Cumbres&Toltec has that you can stand in regardless of your ticket type?

I'd do the train out and bus back. The last hour into or out of Durango is the boring part. Slow going past rvs and campers and crap. Going out you get the excitement and novelty of the train with boring views. Them you end with great views at the end. Going opposite you will be bored the last hour.

I can't recall all the cars. I did the presidential (last) car. No kids allowed but you can stand on the back. You get the entire train view on curves and can watch back along the tracks. Less crowded. Further from burning embers.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.