Glacier National Park, MT

3,794 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by nosoupforyou
nosoupforyou
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just booked my flight - taking my family there next July.

We LOVED our trip 2 years ago to Banff in July - amazing hikes, lakes, etc. so we're headed back up that way.

Anybody been there that can give some recommendations of things to do, hikes, etc.

We found a VRBO in Columbia Falls - not locked in yet - is that a good place to stay? 4 kids ages 8-14 and we are staying 8 nights.

Thanks and gig'em
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/oezgsPJs.jpg[/IMG]
SA68AG
AG
Depending on how early in July you're going, you east -west access may be limited if the Going-to-the-Sun Road isn't cleared. Also your probably won't be able to hike through most of the passes yet.
Since you're going to be there 8 nights , I'd divide it up among lodges in the park if possible. You might be too late to reserve however because they book up pretty quickly.

First choice - Many Glacier Lodge - Grinnell Glacier , Ptarmigan Tunnel ,Iceberg Lake, Swift Current Pass
St Mary's Valley area- Piegan Pass, Siyeh Pass

Second choice Glacier Park Lodge - Explore the Two Medicine area - Scenic Point, Triple Divide Pass,Cobalt Lake,Dawson or Pitamakin Pass

Third Choice Lake McDonald Lodge - Avalanche Lake

Highline Trail by Logan Pass Visitor Center

Great place. I go up there most summers but usually shoot for late August and try to book lodging a year in advance.

Enjoy!
nosoupforyou
AG
Wow.. Thank you!
We arrive on July 11

Definitely open to staying in different places.. Hmm.. We have not signed yet at the place we found
SA68AG
AG
The Going-to- the- Sun road will almost certainly be open all the way through the park. The road itself is one of the major, if not the major, highlight of the park. You'll be able to take a free shuttle the entire distance. You can drive your own car but the driver will definitely be concentrating on the road. If you want to spend the money you can take a tour on one of the Red Buses - actually pretty cool.

If you want to see mountain goats up close and personal, hike the Highline trail or Hidden Lake trail from the Logan Pass Visitor Center. Check out the Glacier website at www.nps,gov.

Where are you flying into ? That will dictate where you'll want to stay on last night.

With 8 days you may even want to fly into Calgary and split up your trip between the Canadian Rockies parks and Glacier. That's actually what we usually do.
nosoupforyou
AG
Awesome! 2 years ago we flew to Calgary and rented an RV and took 10 days to drive to Vancouver. Loved it! So our plan this time is actually to fly to Calgary, stay 2 days in Banff, then drive 5.5 hours to Glacier for 8 days.

I found a VRBO in Columbia Falls and thought we would stay there the entire trip but now thinking we may do that for 4 days then pick another place for 4 days

Really appreciate your ideas.. I am big on building an itinerary.. My RV trip I had help with from our Canadian neighbors here in Houston which made it work
histag10
AG
Going to the sun road should be completely open in July. The only reason it wouldn't be at that time would likely be if there are avalanches.

I have not personally been to Columbia Falls, but my boss' fiance is from that area, and they say it's pretty nice (just don't stay in Polson). Columbia Falls is small, so not a ton to do. If you could stand a bit longer drive, Kalispell and Whitefish are both larger cities, and Flathead Lake is there.
nosoupforyou
AG
Quick update- looks like I now want to stay 4 nights in Columbia Falls.. will see that side of the park.. then head over to either East Glacier Park or St Mary's.

Any suggestions for our 2nd area?
nosoupforyou
AG
update - here's my skeleton outline for the trip - Booked Columbia Falls and East Glacier VRBO's
Any ideas to help me change things up or fill in the days? Places to see or eat at as well?

Day 4 July 12 Wednesday Lake McDonald
Activities today
Night 2 Columbia Falls VRBO

Day 5 July 13 Thursday Avalanche Creek, Trail of the Cedars Logan Pass Visitor Center, Hidden Lake Nature Trail
Drive 50 minutes to Avalanche Trail 4 mi RT
Farmers Market on Thursday evening?
Night 3 Columbia Falls

Day 6 July 14 Friday Flathead Lake area
Drive 40 minutes south to Flathead Lake
Night 4 Columbia Falls

Day 7 July 15 Saturday Drive to East Glacier from the South side of the park
Activities today
Night 1 East Glacier VRBO

Day 8 July 16 Sunday Two Medicine Area
Church at
Activities today
Night 2 East Glacier

Day 9 July 17 Monday Many Glacier Area
Grinnel Lake Hike near Many Glacier Hotel. Drive 80 minutes.
Night 3 - East Glacier

Day 10 July 18 Tuesday Saint Mary's Lake Area
Activities today
Night 4 East Glacier

Day 11 July 19 Wednesday Waterton Lakes National Park, then Calgary Fly home
SA68AG
AG
I wouldn't do the Grinnell Lake hike. It's pretty boring - basically a hike in the woods with no scenic vistas. Spend the extra time and effort and hike up to the Grinnell Glacier - a much more scenic hike. You can take one of the shuttle boats to knock off several miles of the hike that are rather boring.

The Ptarmigan Tunnel hike is another hike in the area that's much more scenic. Also you might consider doing part of the hike to Swift Current Pass - if you can do the full 13 miles then do that - one of my favorite hikes in the park. Iceberg Lake would be another hike better than Grinnell Lake.

Avalanche Lake is a nice hike but I'd take the extra time to go to Logan Pass and do part of the Highline Trail -great views and lot's of wildlife. Better yet do both !

Scenic Point is one of my favorite hikes in the Two Medicine area.
nosoupforyou
AG
Wow!! I will take this advice.. thank you!! Will update later for a new look
GCRanger
AG
Waterton is gorgeous. We stayed there one night back in May on our drive home from Calgary. I wish we could have spent more time there.
nosoupforyou
AG
quick question for one of my days...

Should we spend a day up towards Polebridge? Or spend the day near Whitefish Lake area or check out Tally Lake?
RachAg2007
AG
Personally, I would go to Tally Lake versus Whitefish Lake. Tally Lake is a little out of the way but it's just beautiful. Great place for a swim and get away from the crowds.
dylan
We went to glacier, Banff, and Jasper this past summer--incredible. I heard this coming summer Banff will be even more super crowded due to free admission. Anyway, you cannot go wrong. We went in early july and they just had cleared the going to the sun road. Still saw snow and bears, etc. Enjoy
notheranymore
Would it be worth it to do a trip in which we fly into Calgary and out of Spokane?
mike073
AG
Take a look at something called Head Smashed-in Buffalo Jump to see if is along one of your routes. Fascinating museum and location.
Gig 'em Aggies!

nosoupforyou
AG
prisschris said:

Would it be worth it to do a trip in which we fly into Calgary and out of Spokane?
YES! I actually did this exact trip ion July 2 years ago.. rented an RV in Calgary and drove across over 10 days in an RV with wife and 4 kids... have Canadian neighbors that helped us plan - let me know if you have questions - best trip we ever took!
nosoupforyou
AG
Tell me more about Jasper.. best things to do? Working on a trip up that way.. been to Banff twice so aiming higher on the next trip.. July timeframe
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.