Portland Oregon Suggestions

3,191 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by MarkItZero
RAB83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're taking a quick getaway to Portland, mostly to hike to a number of the many area waterfalls. Anyone familiar with the area have any recommendations?
Oak Forest Ag
AG
Bring some Liberal Repellent!

Seriously, here are a few options for Portland itself:

Start out at Deschutes Brewery for a beer. This is a cool part of town with a lot of microbrew places and trendy, hip, happening spots all close by.

www.deschutesbrewery.com
210 NW 11th Ave.

If you want, eat there or close by. Or, try one of these places for dinner:

Jake's Seafood (now owned by Landry's but still very original)
http://www.mccormickandschmicks.com/locations/portland-oregon/portland-oregon/sw12thave.aspx
Jake's Famous Crawfish
401 SW 12th Ave.
SW Stark (cross street)
Portland, OR 97205

Or

Portland City Grill (I've eaten here, great view, nice bar, good scenery all around!!)
http://www.portlandcitygrill.com
ADDRESS:
111 SW 5th Ave. 30th Floor
Portland, OR 97204
PHONE:
(503) 450-0030
MAGA
AG
Go to Multnomah Falls, absolute breathtaking.

If you really want to experience Oregon outside of Portland go to Canon Beach, about an hour and a half west of Portland. Gorgeous coastal town.
shihitemuslim
AG
Widmer brewery
aggiespartan
AG
I live in Portland! Here is a pretty good article on different hikes.

Oneonta Gorge is a good short one if you are feeling adventurous. You have to hike through a stream (super cold), and climb over a (huge) log jam. At the end you are rewarded with a waterfall.

Multnomah Falls, like has already been stated before.

If you spend some time in the city, make sure to hit up some breweries and/or distilleries.

When people visit, we always take them up to Timberline Lodge on Mount Hood. It's a scenic little drive and there are tons of hikes up there as well. Be sure you are prepared. We are starting to hit the beginning of the rainy season I think. Lots of people getting lost lately. It seems like every morning on the news they are looking for a lost hiker.
MW13
AG
Stay away from the homeless shelter or whatever it is. My wife and I made the mistake of getting off the public transportation there and that was our first taste of Portland. It was bunch of burned out 20 somethings laying around the street at about 11 am. It really looked like some doomsday movie as bodies were scattered everywhere in various stages of sleep. So between getting hit up for money every other step and having to dodge human crap (literally) on the sidewalks it was not the greatest first impression.

We got away from there and enjoyed the rest of the day and night but we were definitely like what the hell when got there.
aggiespartan
AG
quote:
Stay away from the homeless shelter or whatever it is. My wife and I made the mistake of getting off the public transportation there and that was our first taste of Portland. It was bunch of burned out 20 somethings laying around the street at about 11 am. It really looked like some doomsday movie as bodies were scattered everywhere in various stages of sleep. So between getting hit up for money every other step and having to dodge human crap (literally) on the sidewalks it was not the greatest first impression.

We got away from there and enjoyed the rest of the day and night but we were definitely like what the hell when got there.
They are trying to deal with the homeless people, but given the client and friendly nature of people here, it's difficult. Most of the homeless are harmless.
JSKolache
AG
Day 1 loop - drive the gorge to see the falls, stop in Hood River for beers, turn south and go up Mt Hood to Timberline lodge, back down to Portland.

Day 2 loop - drive to Canon Beach and take pics at the haystack rock, then down the coast to Tillamook & tour the cheese factory, then back inland to McMinnville to see the Spruce Goose @ Evergreen Aviation museum, back to Portland.

***leave early both days and you should be able to hit a winery or two along the way as well

In the city proper there are brewpubs on literally every block. So much beer.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
How's the legal marijuana scene there?
aggiespartan
AG
quote:
How's the legal marijuana scene there?
legal. Stores everywhere.
Bachelor99
AG
How's the weather in early December? Any road closures?
aggiespartan
AG
quote:
How's the weather in early December? Any road closures?
No road closures. If you go into the mountains, you will probably need chains or snow tires. It's pretty mild here year round. Many days were colder in Dallas than here last year. The "normal" winter weather here is showers (not downpours), and temps anywhere from the 30s to the 50s. The last couple of years, we've had a lot more sunny days during the winter, so who knows what this year will be like.

We get snow maybe once a year, but in the five years I've been here, it's really only stuck once.
Greener Acres
Just my two cents - if you're going to hike, I'd sort of skip the city. There is so much to do there and so much to do outside of the city, spend this one hiking.

Wife and I did a trip recently and tried to split it up and felt like we saw too little of both the outdoors and the City.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Oregon and Washington are beautiful. Although I cannot stand the millennial filth that infests Portland. The drugs, chosen homelessness, and concentration of the worst a generation had to offer really turns me off about that city.

Flying into Portland is a necessary evil to visit this area. Although, I just can't drink hoppy beer. And all their beers seem to see who can out hop each other. (Ironically, I enjoy Ranier when I can find it. Lol.)

Go to the coast, Mt. Hood, the Columbia Gorge - it is all nice. But I'd skip Portland.
dlp3719
AG
I would put Hair of the Dog and Upright above Deschutes (also good) and Widmer for craft beer.
aggiespartan
AG
Also, 10 Barrel has an excellent rooftop deck now.
notheranymore
We enjoyed Silver Falls State Park for hiking. Urban Crush is a fun place to taste wine and there's a funky gluten-free brew pub across the street.
Mule_lx
AG
We did almost the same trip, but we reversed the days.
DallasAggie2012
AG
I echo most of the suggestions above. Here's what we did:

A full day of hiking in the gorge: Multnomah Falls, Oneonta Gorge Falls, and Wachlecca Falls

A full day of hitting the coastline: Cannon Beach, Tillamook (Cheese Factory, De Garde Brewery)

Other things we did: Whitewater Rafting on the White Salmon (Zoller's was a perfect guide company) followed by lunch and beers in Hood River (Logsdon Farmhouse Ales, pFriem, Full Sail)

Other breweries in Portland: Hair of the Dog, Cascade, Breakside, Deschutes

If you can only take one restaurant suggestion, go to Le Pigeon. You will not regret it.

Oh yeah, Stumptown Coffee is great as well. Don't drink Starbucks while you're there.
MarkItZero
AG
I second rafting the White Salmon river.

We too used Zollers (2 different times) and highly recommend them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.