Going to Ireland the last two weeks of October

1,825 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Murphag
danieljustin06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any suggestions on what to do? I know that the 23-25 I'll be in Waterford for a wedding I'm in. (I know, missing the Bama game.) After that I plan to go to Dublin the 26th and flying out the 29th.
danieljustin06
AG
Bump.
dcAg
Stop by Blarney on the way to Dublin. The touristy stuff in Dublin can be fun Gaol, Guiness brewery. Temple Bar area of Dublin is a huge party place with a lot of young people.

The Grafton Street area has a bunch of great pubs for a slightly more mature crowd but its all good.

Something fun I did was a Literary Pub Crawl. Book ahead. It is worth it and a lot of fun.
LondonAg89
AG
Killarney and ring of Kerry are nice. Galway has a very good vibe to it. Truly the nicest people in the world are in Ireland - very welcoming, friendly and helpful. It's drivable if you don't mind being on the wrong side. It may be a bit cold in October
rather be fishing
AG
Rock of Cashel should be on your itenirary on the way to Dublin.
bmet
AG
We went for 8 days, flew into Dublin, rented a car and took a loop around the southern half of the country.
I enjoyed:
- Waterford Crystal tour was actually pretty cool IMO.
- Jameson Whiskey tour in Middleton.
- Killarney area.
- Ring of Kerry.
- Dingle Peninsula.
- Galway. I too thought Galway was quite fun, especially Quay Street area. Wish I stayed longer.
- Dublin was cool for a day or two, but would highly recommend checking other towns out rather than staying there that long. While there we took a hop-on hop-off bus that stopped at the major sites. https://www.dublinsightseeing.ie/citytour.aspx . Spent the day doing that, hit the Temple Bar area and the http://www.brazenhead.com/ at night. That was plenty for me.
LondonAg89
AG
We also did Giants Causeway in the north which is very impressive but with limited time most other sites are in the south and the loop around the south the poster above gave sounds like an excellent itinerary
danieljustin06
AG
Thanks for the ideas! I'm hoping to get some plans nailed down soon.
Murphag
Just returned from a 12-day bus tour of Ireland. One word-incredible! We went all around the coast of the island on the Wild Atlantic Way.
Bmet (I think it was) has a great itinerary. Blarney Castle is very touristy plus several on our bus did not kiss the Blarney Stone because we heard what the locals do to it after hours. It was raining heavy that day so I said what the hell The castle is very cool, though, you don't have to go up to the Stone. I waited 50 minutes in line.
Ring of Dingle is where the upcoming Star Wars was filmed.

Since you are in Waterford for 3 days, I really recommend going to a 3-400 year old pub close to there called Jack Meade's. This is the real thing. They used to have wakes in the big room upstairs. The pub and the locals are downstairs. We had a popular Irish singer named Tom Comerford perform for us upstairs but I think he just sings for the big tours. He said where our Guinness was sitting is where the "guest of honor" used to be. But they have a restaurant and also some other ruins there and playground for kids.
If you're into the pre-historic stuff, you must go to Knowth/Newgrange. Neolithic mounds from 3000BC. I think it's only 2 hours from Dublin but check to make sure.
dcAg
Do the literary pub crawl in Dublin. So awesome!!!
Murphag
I kept hearing about the lit pub crawl but wasn't able to do it. My wife's knee got messed up and she couldn't even crawl I just walked through Temple Bar area. Did go see the Book of Kells, though. Impressive. We'll just have to go back so my wife can do Dublin, too!

Bmet says he went to the BrazenHead. We had reservations there but we had to miss. Did you go to the storytelling or the Irish cabaret?

We spent 2 days in Belfast. A lot of that is memorials to the wars, the IRA, and all that. And the Titanic Museum which is what it is. Not a fun time, historical. Guide impressed upon us the difference, that 20(?) years ago we woulda been going through Army checkpoints. They mostly just didn't even go there.
Giant's Causeway is the main reason to go north but the OP may not have enough time.
danieljustin06
AG
Just noticed that more people replied. I just got to Galway after spending a couple days in Dublin. We went to Killmainham, the art museum next door, Guinness, and Christ Church. I'll be back next week to see more. Now to figure out stuff in Galway. I'm doing a boat tour of the Aran Islands and Cliffs of Moher Thursday.
Murphag
How was the trip?
Where'd you end up the 2nd half?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.