Travel in Thailand/Travel Agent Recommendation

90,541 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by kcl
pollo hermanos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am taking the bar exam in July and my wife and I want to go on a 2-3 week trip (traditionally known as a Bar Trip) in August to relax before I start working. We've narrowed on to Thailand. Any recommendations on travel agents or hotels?

Hotels and airfare appear really reasonable right now.

Any advice welcome!
Hoyt Ag
AG
I assume you have looked at the weather for Thailand for August? Rainy in the north and the south can vary greatly.

http://www.travelfish.org/weather/thailand/august
MC05
AG
I wouldnt worry too much about the weather. Even if its rainy season you mostly just get some showers around the same time every day.
TXCityAggie
AG
I've been to Thailand for a few weeks each of the last two summers and am going again this year for a few weeks. Like the previous poster said, don't worry about the rain. It's usually an hour or two in the afternoon and not a big deal. I don't think you need a travel agent. Travel around the country is very easy and inexpensive. I would just arrange the trip myself. Are you looking exclusively at the beaches or a mix of the north and south? I'm not sure where you are flying from but Singapore Airlines had very good prices from Houston. I paid $1050 to fly from IAH to Phnom Penh and then home from Singapore. United was about $600 more.
pollo hermanos
AG
quote:
I've been to Thailand for a few weeks each of the last two summers and am going again this year for a few weeks. Like the previous poster said, don't worry about the rain. It's usually an hour or two in the afternoon and not a big deal. I don't think you need a travel agent. Travel around the country is very easy and inexpensive. I would just arrange the trip myself. Are you looking exclusively at the beaches or a mix of the north and south? I'm not sure where you are flying from but Singapore Airlines had very good prices from Houston. I paid $1050 to fly from IAH to Phnom Penh and then home from Singapore. United was about $600 more.
Mix of north and south. Right now we are planning on hitting Bangkok, ****et, Chiang Mai and then Siem Reap in Cambodia.

Any thoughts on those places?
TXCityAggie
AG
Chiang Mai and Siem Reap are both great and deserve 4 nights each in my opinion. Almost everyone has to pass through Bangkok eventually, and many people will tell you not to spend too much time there. Personally, I love Bangkok and have spent a week there on each of my trips. If you haven't been to the region before, it's a good place to get acclimated. I haven't been to ****et yet, but I'll be there in June. I've been told Koh Samui has better weather for the beach in July/August.
DaveHimself
AG
Wife and I did Bangkok & ****et last November through Groupon. The travel agency was Affordable Asia and we would highly recommend them.

Here's the package we did. It was $1,800 per person on their website, and $1,400 with the Groupon.
http://www.affordableasia.com/vacation-packages/bangkok-to-****et-10-days-8-nights/itinerary
213 Grove
AG
My Aunt is a travel agent and does a great job. She will get the best prices and if anything goes wrong she will absolutely have it fixed asap. She has connections all over.

Marje Janacek
979-574-7324
FriendlyAg
I really can't wrap my head around millennials ever using travel agents. I feel like that is such a dying profession.

I went to Europe for 3 weeks about 6 months ago. I planned and booked everything myself after reading/researching everything online. With the amount of travel blogs, forums, and review sites, its pretty easy.
rom85
My wife and I have recently returned from a two-month vacation in Koh Samui, Thailand. We rented a wonderful private pool villa we had booked on http://yourkohsamuivillas.com/koh-samui-long-term-rental/ in advance. You know, Koh Samui is a premier holiday destination in Asia. My personal must-to-see/to-do list
- Big Buddha sculpture
- The Ang Thong National Marine Park
- Silver beach
- Fishersman Village
- Namuang Waterfall
- Wat Phra Yai
- The Koh Samui Tiger Zoo
- Secret Buddha Garden
- many-many other things....
Honestly, this two months vacation has been the most fantastic time in our life!
kcl
AG
Here's something to do in Thailand that you might find interesting: http://www.twotravelingtexans.com/p361/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.