*******Indians vs. Cubs*******

74,468 Views | 905 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Mr. White
Mr. White
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is going to be fun.
wheelsoff
Somehow I think both teams will manage to lose...
Know Your Enemy
AG
I can't believe in 5 days I will be at Wrigley Field for a World Series game.
jkag89
Mr. White said:

This is going to be fun.
Hope so. I know the board's resident Cub fans want a quick Series sweep like the BoSox in '04 but for those of us with no real rooting interest beyond a love of the game that would be such a let down. I guess a sweep or a five game Series won by the Cubbies would not be all bad in that it would be fun to see the drought broken at Wrigley but I'm hoping for one for the ages. Good luck to fans of both clubs, hoping the last ride of this season is a thrilling one.
gonemaroon
AG
A miracle to win the Series at Wrigley is how every Cubs fan dreams this ending
birdman
Should be awesome. Hope it goes seven.

The last ten or twelve years have really had some new faces in World Series.
W
AG
you know from a historical standpoint (since the Yankees' mini-dynasty ended after 2001)...it's been a remarkable reversal of fortune for several of the downtrodden / hard luck / cursed franchises that many of us grew up watching.

--- the Red Sox have won 3 championships

--- the Giants have won 3 championships

--- the White Sox, Royals, and Phillies have each won a championship

and now in 2016 either the Indians or Cubs are going to win a championship
birdman
Throw in the Angels winning their first as well. And the Rangers and Astros making their first World Series.
jkag89
Also hard to believe that it has been nearly 30 years since the Dodgers have made the Series. In fact there are a number of Series regulars from my younger days have been absent for a number of years; Orioles, Reds, Athletics.
E
AG
W said:

you know from a historical standpoint (since the Yankees' mini-dynasty ended after 2001)...it's been a remarkable reversal of fortune for several of the downtrodden / hard luck / cursed franchises that many of us grew up watching.

--- the Red Sox have won 3 championships

--- the Giants have won 3 championships

--- the White Sox, Royals, and Phillies have each won a championship

and now in 2016 either the Indians or Cubs are going to win a championship

Astros are next!
Sex Panther
AG
Sorry Cubs fans... you're going down
Sex Panther
AG
Junkhead said:

Did you really get tickets? I am trying my hardest to figure a way to go to game 3, but holy crap these ticket prices... I am exhausting all my resources trying to get some for a somewhat reasonable price.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Sex Panther said:

Junkhead said:

Did you really get tickets? I am trying my hardest to figure a way to go to game 3, but holy crap these ticket prices... I am exhausting all my resources trying to get some for a somewhat reasonable price.

I'm a season ticket holder. I paid $200/each for mine.
Sex Panther
AG
That's awesome... I'll give you $300 a piece since you're a good Ag and I like your Seinfeld references.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Sex Panther said:

That's awesome... I'll give you $300 a piece since you're a good Ag and I like your Seinfeld references.

You can add a comma and three zeros and I still wouldn't sell.
unmade bed
gonemaroon said:

For me its Cubs up 3-1 going in to Game 5.

Indians lead 4-2, going in to bottom of 9th. Allen in to pitch for tribe. Baez and Russell manage to get on base. Heyward and grandpa Rossy make outs. Pitcher spot up, Schwarber limps up to batter box and parks one in the bleachers Kirk Gibson style.
TexAgs1992
unmade bed said:

gonemaroon said:

For me its Cubs up 3-1 going in to Game 5.

Indians lead 4-2, going in to bottom of 9th. Allen in to pitch for tribe. Baez and Russell manage to get on base. Heyward and grandpa Rossy make outs. Pitcher spot up, Schwarber limps up to batter box and parks one in the bleachers Kirk Gibson style.
My God, I think I would die on the spot.
Sex Panther
AG
Tried my hardest to get tickets to game 3 to see my friend pitch, but damn you Cubs fans are rabid. Enjoy the series if you got tickets. Will definitely be cool to see the World Series at Wrigley, and I look forward to the Cubbies long wait finally ending... next year.
Ph.D.Aggies
AG
Lifelong Cleveland fan, now living on the West Coast and trying to get tickets to games 6 or 7 right now!

Indians in 6 is my hope..
Know Your Enemy
AG
Ph.D.Aggies said:

Lifelong Cleveland fan, now living on the West Coast and trying to get tickets to games 6 or 7 right now!

Indians in 6 is my hope..
There won't be a game 6. Better luck next year.
Sex Panther
AG
He's right. Tribe in 5
Ph.D.Aggies
AG
Sex Panther said:

He's right. Tribe in 5
Tribe winning at Wrigley would be too cruel to Cub fans.. I'd never wish that on them.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Sex Panther said:

He's right. Tribe in 5
Indians will be lucky to LOSE in 5 games.
Sex Panther
AG
Really? Cubs fans are talking trash?

Red Sox and Toronto thought the same thing. Yet Cleveland just keeps on winning...
Know Your Enemy
AG
Just having a little fun with you. The Indians haven't won in 68 years either. R-E-L-A-X.
Sex Panther
AG
Ha I know... right back atcha. I don't even know how the Indians are so good. Gotta tip your hat to Tito, he's handled their injuries masterfully.

I think it'll be a great series, but Cleveland is definitely gonna have to bring their A game.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Big fan of Francona. Ex-Cub, by the way.
BassCowboy33
I've never seen a more overconfident fan base in my life. I have family who are Cubs fans and they're already taking off work for the parade. No joke.
Know Your Enemy
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

I've never seen a more overconfident fan base in my life. I have family who are Cubs fans and they're already taking off work for the parade. No joke.
I have an Indians fan at work who is already looking at flights home for the Indians parade. it's not just a Cub thing.
BassCowboy33
Junkhead said:

BassCowboy33 said:

I have an Indians fan at work who is already looking at flights home for the Indians parade. it's not just a Cub thing.

Neither fan base has reason to be confident. One franchise hasn't ever won a title and the hasn't won since the TR administration.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Which franchise hasn't won a title?

And quite frankly, the histories of these franchises has ZERO bearing on whether or not fans should or shouldn't be confident of this year's team.
diehard03

Quote:

it is pretty shocking that the team with the best record, multiple MVP candidates, and multiple CY candidates is overconfident. Throw in that their bats woke up to crush Kershaw, and it should make sense.

Let's not pretend the Cubs backdoored their way in to a play-in game.

It goes both ways with Cub fans. Down 2-1 to the Dodgers, people were going bat **** crazy that the entire Epstein plan didn't work.

Know Your Enemy
AG
Anyone here should be familiar with Battered Aggie Syndrome. That's exactly what it was for long time Cubs fans after Game 3 of the NLCS. But the team quickly reminded us that they are NOT the same as the previous groups that let us down. Completely different mental makeup in addition to having far superior talent.
W
AG
like any 7-game series...the road team's first objective is to get no worse than a split of the first 2 games. The initial pressure in the series is on the home team to hold serve.

------

I heard someone on sportstalk radio say that the Expos/Nationals franchise now holds the longest World Series appearance drought
Sex Panther
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.