*****Official Texas Rangers 2017 Off-Season Thread*****

51,510 Views | 551 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Mr Gigem
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
And... just... like... that...

Time to start looking to next season.

Free-Agents:
Carlos Beltran (DH)
Carlos Gomez (CF)
Ian Desmond (OF)
Colby Lewis (SP) - I think he retires
Mitch Moreland (1B, DH)

Contract Options:
Lucroy (C)
Holland (SP)

Roster:
C: Lucroy, Chirinos, Nicholas
IF: Odor (2B), Andrus (SS), Beltre (3B)
Other IF: Odor (2B, SS), Alberto (Util IF)

OF: Mazara, Choo, Rua, Hoying, DeShields

SP: Hamels (1), Darvish (1), Perez (3/4), Holland
RP (R): Barnette (32), Bush (30), Dyson (28), Jeffress (29), Kela (23)
RP (L): Diekman (29), Claudio (24)

Needs:

I think we need:
CF: Desmond or Gomez could be the answer and I think both like what they've seen in Arlington.
1B: We could bring Moreland back. Or any other player. We could use Rua.
SP: I think Hamels, Darvish and Perez are fine, aside from the finish. Darvish & Perez were both coming back from TJ. Hamels carried the load. I think we will find out he had something undisclosed. He fell apart down the stretch and something is just not right physically, IMO.

Opportunities:
Andrus: I think he proved himself this season. Finally.
Profar: We either need to move him or Andrus. Too much value to move off SS.
OF: With Choo, DeShields, Hoying and Rua... we could find a CF or trade in package.
Minors: We have a couple SPs in the minors that should get a look.
Holland: Pick up his option and trade him.
MSFC Aggie
AG
too soon
Cappo
bmc13
AG
94chem
Wondering again why Mazara couldn't become a 1st baseman. He's just so darned slow for such a young player. He throws seeds, but I'm not opposed to a 1st baseman with a good arm.
DallasAg 94
94chem said:

Wondering again why Mazara couldn't become a 1st baseman. He's just so darned slow for such a young player. He throws seeds, but I'm not opposed to a 1st baseman with a good arm.
I don't know that we've ever really talked about Mazara moving to 1st. Looking at his minor league stats... doesn't look like he has spent any time there.

With Gallo (whom I didn't mention above) having been seen as a 1st Base option... seems like a waste to put Mazara there. But then... any idea of Gallo at 1st seems a long shot.

Having said that... it certainly is worth considering. I think Choo is headed to DH. So, moving Mazara would leave a big OF hole.

They said on the radio, that Desmond (31) is committed to going through the FA process. His .285, 22 HR, .335 OBP are certainly solid, but will come much cheaper than the .322, 15 HR, .375 OBP (Pre-AS) was projecting. At 31, the idea of a 5 year is out the window. Thoughts on what he might get?

Thoughts on what Gomez might get?

I think we traded our only other 2 real options in OF. Brinson and Cordell.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I wouldn't mind seeing Desmond or Gomez back. Can't imagine we sign Beltran back.

I'd like to see Profar moved if we can get some pitching and Gallo probably should go as well before his value is zero.
94chem
If I ruled the world, I'd move Odor to LF, give Profar the 2B job (with Alberto as insurance), and put Mazara on 1st.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Does Odor have the arm for outfield?
Ag2012
AG
94chem said:

If I ruled the world, I'd move Odor to LF, give Profar the 2B job (with Alberto as insurance), and put Mazara on 1st.
94chem
Quote:

Jamie Moyer has an arm for left field. Even DeShields could probably handle it.
TXAggie2011
AG
Lucky #007 said:

No.
Squirrel Master
AG
Some very interesting conversations - Profar did nothing to impress this year, other than his positional versatility. If the appropriate trade offer is there, I could see them taking it.

I can't fathom a situation where Elvis gets traded. So much talk this year about the clubhouse and culture... they aren't going to go and trade one of its central figures without a really good reason - Profar did not provide that reason.

Odor will definitely stay at 2nd.

I'm betting Mitch is gone, but I'm curious to see what the plan is there if he leaves.

Man, what a terrible year for Gallo. Showed absolutely zero potential as a big leaguer, which is a let down. He could have been the 1B answer.

I'm thinking that Choo will be the primary DH in 2017, leaving RF open for Mazara. Not sure the rush to move Maz to 1st - he's not fast, but I thought he covered RF just fine this year.

RF is the only place I think is settled. CF and LF are open. Not sure what demand for Desmond or Gomez will be around the league. Des had a great two months, but was otherwise pretty mediocre. I'd love him back, for the right price, I suspect he can get more than that. I think the more realistic 2017 CF is Gomez, who sure acted like he loved it here. I can see him back here under a reasonable deal (3 years?).

Rua will be on the team, but not sure if he'll be the primary 1B or LF, or just a platoon option again.

Delino is still not more than a backup OF. I'm not interested in seeing him in the lineup regularly. I'm guessing Hoying gets outrighted to the minors when they need to start cleaning up the 40 man. I believe that may allow him to elect FA from things I read during season about his situation, but not sure. I don't consider him a winning piece regardless.

As far as pitching goes, Hamels, Darvish, and Perez will definitely be back. Holland's option is pretty attractive. I'd be surprised to see him not back (say 67/33 for staying). I'd be shocked if there is a worthwhile trade market for him... it'd be selling as low as possible. Almost certainly more valuable here, hoping he can stay healthy and be a decent rotation option.

I think it depends on healthy Lewis is. If he's tired of having to recover from injuries, he'll retire. If he wants to give it another go, he'll be back.
Harrell will be non-tendered. Griffin will be offered arbitration. Yeah, that's 6 starters if he returns as well as Dutch and Lewis. That's okay, something will get worked out to make that work (injury, not retaining one of those 3). Also, the Rangers have no starters in the minors who warrant getting more than an emergency start in 2017 at this point.

After the trades, the Rangers basically only have two pitching prospects nearing MLB readiness - Yohander Mendez and Ariel Jurado, and both look like more likely 2018 options than 2017. Mendez got a limited look in September, didn't really look all that great, but is thought of as a nice LHP prospect. He moved from High A to AAA during 2016, is young, and has lots of potential, but needs some polishing. Jurado is a groundball machine righty, with average MPH on the fastball, but very effective. He profiles as a 4/5. And that's it.

Chi Chi and Nick Martinez are what they are. I'm sure they'll still be around as the AAA relief corps when needed, but not sure they'll ever be more than just org guys.

I expect little change to the bullpen, as I think everyone is still under control.
Joe Cole
always seems like a big mess at this stage of season

JD has rode this Profar-Gallo train a long way and we have nothing to show for it. Gallo's decline dealt them a major blow for what the can get in trade. How does the Profar, Gallo, + , + package for Sale at the deadline look now? I hope it leaks out one day what the deal on table really was.

mhayden
After watching tonight, sure wish we could have nabbed Matt Moore. Almost no risk the next 3 years with only paying $9m/year and a club option each of those years.
Joe Cole
Beltran saying he liked it here and would be willing to come back. I'd like to see them resign him if price was right.

Did anything ever come out on what exactly the Rays wanted from Rangers for Moore?
DallasAg 94
Joe Cole said:

Beltran saying he liked it here and would be willing to come back. I'd like to see them resign him if price was right.
They commented yesterday that, while Beltran liked it here... he was a professional and will score in FA.

So, he won't likely be back.
Ag_07
AG
Hope you guys don't mind me chiming in a bit. I read over some of these posts and found something very interesting.

The overall thought at the deadline was that Daniels did a helluva job getting Lucroy and Beltran without giving up Gallo and/or Profar. I thought that was genius and that he pulled off the impossible.

However, looking back it seems like maybe he should've given up those guys (assuming someone indeed wanted them) and you'd be better off today with Brinson.

Just an interesting dynamic when looking back at the trade deadline and where you guys are today.

Should be an interesting off season and yeah I will be poking my head in every once in a while. Just let me know if you'd like me to and I'll go back to lurking.

DallasAg 94
Squirrel Master said:

Some very interesting conversations - Profar did nothing to impress this year, other than his positional versatility. If the appropriate trade offer is there, I could see them taking it.
I think the only thing Profar needed to prove was that he could remain healthy and the shoulder could endure the season. Both were accomplished. He was bounced around positionally, spending a tremendous amount of time learning OF and 1B and 3B. He has expressed his desire to be a starting SS in 2017, so I'm guessing he will be gone. He will be 24 to start the season and I expect he'll bring a nice haul.

Quote:

I can't fathom a situation where Elvis gets traded. So much talk this year about the clubhouse and culture... they aren't going to go and trade one of its central figures without a really good reason - Profar did not provide that reason.

Odor will definitely stay at 2nd.

I'm betting Mitch is gone, but I'm curious to see what the plan is there if he leaves.
I agree what the above. I've posted before about Andrus and Odor. Based on their youth when called up, they could put up monster numbers.

Quote:

Man, what a terrible year for Gallo. Showed absolutely zero potential as a big leaguer, which is a let down. He could have been the 1B answer.
I think there are things behind the scene with him. Seems like there was talk that he was not pleased when he was up and didn't get to play. He was pulled from AAA games, which were speculated to be attitude issues. I think he may have this idea that he can put up homers and that is enough to get him in the Bigs.

I think he'll get traded and probably do well, but I don't think he has the patience to get corrected and the Rangers are not going to bring him up for OJT.

Quote:

I think it depends on healthy Lewis is. If he's tired of having to recover from injuries, he'll retire. If he wants to give it another go, he'll be back.
Harrell will be non-tendered. Griffin will be offered arbitration. Yeah, that's 6 starters if he returns as well as Dutch and Lewis. That's okay, something will get worked out to make that work (injury, not retaining one of those 3). Also, the Rangers have no starters in the minors who warrant getting more than an emergency start in 2017 at this point.
In Oakland (after his great performance), he commented that his family was at the beach and he seemed like he genuinely missed not being with them. I wonder if even healthy... it might be a decision to spend more time with his family.

Quote:

After the trades, the Rangers basically only have two pitching prospects nearing MLB readiness - Yohander Mendez and Ariel Jurado, and both look like more likely 2018 options than 2017. Mendez got a limited look in September, didn't really look all that great, but is thought of as a nice LHP prospect. He moved from High A to AAA during 2016, is young, and has lots of potential, but needs some polishing. Jurado is a groundball machine righty, with average MPH on the fastball, but very effective. He profiles as a 4/5. And that's it.
I mostly agree with that. Don't forget Sadzeck (25) and Victor Payano (24). I agree Mendez (21) and Jurado (20) are probably too young.

Quote:

Chi Chi and Nick Martinez are what they are. I'm sure they'll still be around as the AAA relief corps when needed, but not sure they'll ever be more than just org guys.
We'll see how they do in ST. 2017 is nut-cutting time for Martinez. Chi Chi is still pretty young. We have a number of SPs who appear to be catching them. Having said that, when you look at

We'll have in ST:
Hamels, Darvish, Perez - with Darvish and Perez in 2nd year after TJ. Solid 3.
AJG, Holland, Martinez - hope one rises. Best case strong ST by one that can be a #4/5.
Sadzeck, Payano - start in AAA. Emergency call-ups
Mendez, Jurado - 2018s
I think the goal is usually to have 8-9 options. Right now, we'll have 6.

AJG is too much a flyball pitcher for me. He can shut down a team, but will give up the HR. As long as they don't come with a guy on base (BB), his ERA will remain low.
Holland has outworn his welcome. I don't think Banny is real fond of him.
Martinez has no trust by anyone.

Trade - I think we get our 5th SP from trade.
FA - I haven't really looked, but IIRC, there are some options this year.

Joe Cole
I'm not necessarily for this, but do you think internally, they are considering Bush as starter?

Seems like they would have learned their lesson on this subject considering CJ is only success story, but Bush does seem to have the build to be a workhorse

DallasAg 94
Joe Cole said:

I'm not necessarily for this, but do you think internally, they are considering Bush as starter?

Seems like they would have learned their lesson on this subject considering CJ is only success story, but Bush does seem to have the build to be a workhorse
My guess would be no chance.

He is listed at 5'9", I would expect most to believe he doesn't have the frame to be a SP.

A viable starter would need to go at least 150 IP. If they had thoughts of being a SP, I couldn't imagine them expecting him to hit 150 IP for 2-3 seasons.

He went 61.2 IP this season (plus 17.0 IP in AA), after having limited pitching. He last pitched in 2011 (50.1 IP).

It would surprise me zero, for him to have a bad 2017 season, even out of the BP.

And none of that considers his 2ndary stuff. Isn't he pretty much a 2 pitch guy?! Having never had to pitch through a rotation a 2nd time (or 3rd time), he would be exposed, IMO.
J.P. 03
AG
Agree. Please, JD, don't "Neftali Feliz" him.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I can't imagine he will because of Feliz but I think Feliz was after them to give him a shot at the rotation as well.
Squirrel Master
AG
I did forget about Sadzeck. Nice lefty. He pitches in Arlington in 2017, I suspect it will be out of the pen if another lefty is needed (say Diekman gets hurt or something). I don't consider Payano a SP prospect at all, based on everything I've read about him. If he pitches in MLB, I'm betting its as a reliever.
Squirrel Master
AG
No way Bush gets transitioned to starter. Everything about him profiles as a late inning beast.
Joe Cole
I think he did pick up a 3rd pitch , but didn't have to use it much

I would love to see him as the closer. JJ, Bush, and Dyson are going to be a big part of the team next season. I just wish we could have been able to take advantage of them this playoff run

Still frustrating that JJ was pulled for Diekman!
DallasAg 94
Joe Cole said:

Did anything ever come out on what exactly the Rays wanted from Rangers for Moore?
I don't recall seeing anything.

When the trade went down, I tried to project what I thought might be equivalent... FWIW...

Quote:

So... maybe Gallo, Yrizarri & P.Payano would be similar.
DallasAg 94
Interesting day in Oakland...

Quote:

Alvarez (25) recently underwent shoulder surgery, while Parker (27) underwent a UCL/flexor tendon repair back in April
2018 projects, but:
Alvarez' last full MLB action was in 2014 (24): 2.65 ERA, 30 GS, 1.235 WHIP
Parker's last MLB action was in 2013 (24): 3.97 ERA, 32 GS, 1.223 WHIP

They'd help fill out the AAA roster. Speaking of which... where are the Rangers playing AAA next season?! Doesn't the RR contract end, or is it after the 2017 season?! They were looking at San Antonio, but apparently SA turned down the bond or decided to not send it to vote.

Athletics Outright Henderson Alvarez, Jarrod Parker, Felix Doubront
KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Interesting day in Oakland...

Quote:

Alvarez (25) recently underwent shoulder surgery, while Parker (27) underwent a UCL/flexor tendon repair back in April
2018 projects, but:
Alvarez' last full MLB action was in 2014 (24): 2.65 ERA, 30 GS, 1.235 WHIP
Parker's last MLB action was in 2013 (24): 3.97 ERA, 32 GS, 1.223 WHIP

They'd help fill out the AAA roster. Speaking of which... where are the Rangers playing AAA next season?! Doesn't the RR contract end, or is it after the 2017 season?! They were looking at San Antonio, but apparently SA turned down the bond or decided to not send it to vote.

Athletics Outright Henderson Alvarez, Jarrod Parker, Felix Doubront

I know Round Rock will still be the affiliate in '17, maybe '18 too? But definitely '17.
KT 90
AG
One other bullpen option I didn't see mentioned in Shawn Tolleson,if he can get it back together. His dad had some medical issues and he fell apart, so maybe he is able to put it back together as well.

TXAggie2011
AG
Profar not only needed to show he was healthy, he needed to show he could hit a little big league pitching.

He fell flat on his face in the second half in that regard.

I think you can convince a team he's still a guy worth trading for but his value is considerably lower than it was even in June.

And Gallo's value of course is just about shot.
TXAggie2011
AG
And if I'm Jon Daniels I'm planning on neither one of them being a meaningful contributor in 2017.
Squirrel Master
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

And if I'm Jon Daniels I'm planning on neither one of them being a meaningful contributor in 2017.
I'm good with Profar in the same role he had this year, utility guy. I don't want him starting. If a trade makes the most sense, I'm good.
94chem
Watching the Cubs flail away at the Dodgers' lefties almost makes me wish that Hamels, Perez, and Holland could have a shot.
DallasAg 94
The season is over, and based on the last few weeks, I don't know that I'm interested in seeing anyone given a shot at anything. Based on their performance, I don't know that they weren't ready for the season to be over, either.

I'm ready for a fresh start and a new beginning.

I still think there is\was something physically wrong with Hamels.

Darvish & Perez were done. They came back from TJ, and gave it all they had.

Colby has physical issues.

Holland?! The Riddler? I haven't figured him out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.