Playoff prediction thread

4,509 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by tjack16
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rangers over Orioles 3-1
Red Sox over Indians 3-2
Cubs over Giants 3-1
Dodgers over Nationals 3-2

Rangers over Red Sox 4-3
Cubs over Dodgers 4-2

Cubs over Rangers 4-0 (I only have tickets to games 3 & 4 at Wrigley so I want to see the Cubs win it all in person. That is why I am going with a sweep.)
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Toronto over Orioles
Giants over Mets

Rangers over Toronto 3-1
Red Sox over Indians 3-1
Cubs over Giants 3-2
Dodgers over Nats 3-1

Rangers over Sox 4-2
Cubs over Dodgers 4-3

Rangers over Cubs 4-3
TXAggie2011
AG
Nationals will win the World Series, won't lose a game doing it, either.
W
AG
the TV executives' dream matchup:

Red Sox vs. Cubs
PacifistAg
AG
Rangers win it all while losing the run differential battle in each round.
TexAgs1992
Junkhead said:

Rangers over Orioles 3-1
Red Sox over Indians 3-2
Cubs over Giants 3-1

Rangers over Red Sox 4-3
Cubs over Dodgers 4-2

Cubs over Rangers 4-0 (I only have tickets to games 3 & 4 at Wrigley so I want to see the Cubs win it all in person. That is why I am going with a sweep.)
Junkhead, I'm down with this. If this does happen, we will need to hangout and drink some beers up in Chicago.
Know Your Enemy
AG
You'll most likely be able to find me at Murphy's.
Say Chowdah
AG
W said:

Red Sox vs. Cubs

Yes.

Toronto over O's

Boston over Cleveland 3-1
Texas over Toronto 3-2

Boston over Texas 4 - 1

NYM over Giants

CHIC over NYM 3-2
WASH over LAD 3-1

CHIC over Wash 4-2

Boston over CHIC 4-2
Mozart Paintings
AG
Junkhead said:

I'll come find you there also!!
LeonardSkinner
Completely bitter and selfish preferences.

Don't want to win at all...
1. Chicago Cubs. Keep suffering, you *******s. Keep that traitorous Joe Maddon. And God knows if you do win it all, someone will make it about President Obama. Probably President Obama.
2. Boston Red Sox. Ortiz's farewell tour is slower than his batters box to first speed. I will say that New England is a lovely area, except for all the New Englanders there.
3. Cleveland Indians. They're getting uppity on the banks of the Cuyahoga. Be satisfied with the Cavaliers, and be grateful you're not Detroit.
4. New York Mets. See #1, but substitute Trump and Clinton.

Indifferent...
Washington, Los Angeles, Toronto, San Francisco. Except for the mathematical serenity of the Giants winning in even years.

Mildly okay with winning.
1. Texas Rangers. Kinda that feeling of wanting an ex to do well and be happy. But not TOO well, and not TOO happy.
2. Baltimore Orioles. I guess when we take out the teams I'm completely indifferent towards, I have the least amount of animosity towards the birds.
jkag89
RetiredAg said:

Rangers win it all while losing the run differential battle in each round.
Something that is far more likely over the course of a series than over an entire season.

Toronto over Baltimore
San Francisco over New York

Texas over Toronto (3-2)
Cleveland over Boston (3-2)
Washington over the effing Dodgers (3-0)
San Francisco over Chicago (3-2) *

Cleveland over Texas (4-2)
San Francisco over Washington (4-1)

San Francisco over Cleveland (4-3)

*Actually think the Cubbies will win the whole thing but will stick with this even year Giants win it all and the Cubs fans continuing to suffer until the arbitrary and vindictive baseball gods show they have changed their minds.
BobOliver2006
AG
I drove bus said:

Junkhead said:

I'll come find you there also!!

I don't think anybody will be finding anyone in Murphy's with as packed as that place will be
Know Your Enemy
AG
You need to get laid.
LeonardSkinner
Junkhead said:

You need to get laid.

Completely irrelevant to the matter at hand.

But true.
Say Chowdah
AG
W said:

Red Sox vs. Cubs
While this is clearly true, what are their least desired matchups?

Toronto vs Giants?
jkag89
Quote:

Toronto vs Giants?
Why don't folks believe the Giants will draw ratings? They have won three of the last five World Series.
Say Chowdah
AG
jkag89 said:

Quote:

Toronto vs Giants?
Why don't folks believe the Giants will draw ratings? They have won three of the last five World Series.
Not saying they wouldn't. Just looking at the other teams it seems like the least interesting matchup from a TV perspective. Toronto would lose the AL market interest (although all of Canada would watch) and I'd think that the Dodgers would pull better than the Giants - but a west coast team would still lose a considerable amount of interest east of the MS river.

What do you think is the least desirable (from a ratings) standpoint?
jkag89
Why do you think that Nats will draw? Bryce Harper? Max Scherzer?
Quote:

. . . but a west coast team would still lose a considerable amount of interest east of the MS river.
Why?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Say Chowdah said:

jkag89 said:

Quote:

Toronto vs Giants?
Not saying they wouldn't. Just looking at the other teams it seems like the least interesting matchup from a TV perspective. Toronto would lose the AL market interest (although all of Canada would watch) and I'd think that the Dodgers would pull better than the Giants - but a west coast team would still lose a considerable amount of interest east of the MS river.

What do you think is the least desirable (from a ratings) standpoint?
Rangers, Indians or Toronto from the AL, though probably the Rangers more so.
Nats or Giants from the NL, probably the Nats?
Say Chowdah
AG
jkag89 said:

That and other reasons. I explained my thought process. Geography is the primary driver. 60% of the population is east of the Mississippi River. The density of teams east means that west coast teams don't get a lot of exposure out here (that and the PST starts).

So what is your most and least desirable matchups (from a ratings standpoint only).
jkag89
Say Chowdah said:

jkag89 said:

That and other reasons. I explained my thought process. Geography is the primary driver. 60% of the population is east of the Mississippi River. The density of teams east means that west coast teams don't get a lot of exposure out here (that and the PST starts).

So what is your most and least desirable matchups (from a ratings standpoint only).
Why would the average east coast fan outside the DC area be more drawn to a Series with the Nats than the Giants, who would be going for their fourth Series in six seasons or the effing Dodgers with all their history?

Most desirable is obviously Cubbies - BoSox by far. Least, Nats - Jays.
Say Chowdah
AG
NVM - you answered.

I'm not a TV ratings expert. So you may be correct...

Admittedly, I don't follow a lot of NL ball. West coast NL ball, even less.
jkag89
Say Chowdah said:

Geez - I didn't mean to offend you!
I'm not offended, just trying to understand why you believe east coast fans would be less likely to watch a series with SF or LA? Don't big city teams from either coast, excluding the Cubbies and Redbirds, out draw those in flyover country?
Say Chowdah
AG
If they (Giants or Dodgers) were playing a team I was generally interested in, I'd watch. If it was another team that I was disinterested in, I probably wouldn't because I don't get to see them very much so I don't know any of their players etc. (Obviously, I know their names and stats but I don't "know" them like you know your own team and their rivals you get to see a lot.)

With the unbalanced schedules as they are, those west coast teams play out east 2 times a year? The games start very late so by the time they start, I've shut down for the night. I am not saying that every fan is exactly like me, but I'd say that is closer to the norm than the ones who will watch a game past midnight to watch a west coast team.

Hell, I can barely stay up past the 4th inning when the Sox are out west.
jkag89
Using that logic, wouldn't the Jays draw better numbers in at least in AL East cities, certainly better draw than Texas which plays a large chunk of its schedule on the left coast?
BobOliver2006
AG
jkag89 said:

Least, Nats - Jays.

Nats - Jays is gonna absolutely demolish ratings for a small sliver of Expos die hards remaining in Canada
jkag89
Dang it, now I have to rethink this. Nats - Jays will certainly drive ratings in Canada.
PatAg
AG
Except the average fan should know the Rangers, considering we went to two world series in very recent memory...
Know Your Enemy
AG
Junkhead said:

Rangers over Orioles 3-1
Red Sox over Indians 3-2
Cubs over Giants 3-1

Rangers over Red Sox 4-3
Cubs over Dodgers 4-2

I nailed both NL series exactly. AL I couldn't have been more wrong.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Got the NLCS exactly right too.
tjack16
AG
W said:

Red Sox vs. Cubs
I think this Indians/Cubs is a pretty good TV matchup
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.