Carlos Gomez

3,181 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag_07
The Shank Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Since joining the rangers, 100 plate appearances

.276 Avg
6 HR
16 RBI
14 Runs
4 Stolen bases
.370 On base
.529 Slugging

This guy may get another big contract
caleblyn
"Excuse me, Mr. Wound. Hello, how are you today? I would like to introduce you to Mr. Salt! Have a nice day!""

tremble
AG
Please, sign him to a long-term deal. Just do it.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah...Keep him. Enjoy

Wish it would've worked out in Houston because he is fun to watch and a likeable guy when playing well. However, it just wasn't going to happen here. He needed a change of scenery.

If it's the Rangers that sign him to a huge deal I hope he fails miserably while struggling to hit .180 while also being responsible for burning that clubhouse to the ground. If it's someone else I wish him all the luck and hope to see him succeed.
Farmer1906
AG
I am happy for him. He seemed like a great guy.
CampingAg
AG
quote:
He needed a change of scenery.

I don't think that's it. He's straight up said that the Texas coaching staff has helped him with mechanical issues that Houston didn't pick up on.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
quote:

I don't think that's it. He's straight up said that the Texas coaching staff has helped him with mechanical issues that Houston didn't pick up on.

So...He needed a change of scenery.

So whatever fits your agenda.
MSFC Aggie
AG
meh........rather sign Desmond
toucan82
He's in the discussion for my favorite former Astro who now plays for the Rangers
W
AG
with Gomez it was 2 things...

#1 lack of professionalism. His effort was lacking most of the time.

#2 lack of respect for the astros organization. When he didn't get benched after 100 or 150 mediocre AB's and miscues in the field...he knew it didn't matter how bad he played -- he would still be in the lineup. No one would hold him accountable for his poor play
Ag_07
AG
The thing is that the Astros coaches have been able to coach the other hitters on the team out of their rough patches.

• Bregman started 1-34, made mechanical adjustments, and is (or was when he wasn't injured) one of the better hitters on the team.
  • Gattis made mechanical adjustments recently and is swinging it well.
  • Altuve has worked with the staff and found a power stroke.
  • Gurriel has adjusted well to ML hitting.

But Gomez continued to swing out his ass and be completely uncoachable. Hell...I can look at his swing and identify the flaws. He let his troubles at the plate affect his defense and it was obvious the other players were starting to get frustrated with him and his shenanigans.
CampingAg
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

So...He needed a change of scenery.

So whatever fits your agenda.

I don't think a guy "needing a change of scenery" usually has to do with mechanical issues or X's and O's. sounds like we just have different definitions of "change of scenery."
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:
with Gomez it was 2 things...

#1 lack of professionalism. His effort was lacking most of the time.

#2 lack of respect for the astros organization. When he didn't get benched after 100 or 150 mediocre AB's and miscues in the field...he knew it didn't matter how bad he played -- he would still be in the lineup. No one would hold him accountable for his poor play

As an Astro this season.
.300 BABIP
9.1% HR/FB
31% K rate
6.5% BB rate

As a Ranger
.353 BABIP
24% HR/FB ratio
30% K rate
12% BB rate

His BB Rate is up which is a credit to change in his approach. His swing rate is down 4% and O-Swing rate is down even more. However, the HR/FB rate and BABIP are unsustainable. His HR/FB rate in his best season ever is 16% and his career average is 10.8%. He's been more lucky than good which means he fits right in.

I'm also quite happy for the guy. By all accounts, he's a fantastic teammate. Jose Altuve looked like he'd been crying in his interview about Gomez being DFA'ed.
CampingAg
AG
Maybe his success is as unsustainable as the Rangers success was in May.
Ag_07
AG
Well here we go.

You got what you wanted...Another Ranger v Astro thread. Congrats!!
CampingAg
AG
Maybe the Odor thread can RIP now.
The Shank Ag
Frok
AG
quote:
Since joining the rangers, 100 plate appearances

.276 Avg
6 HR
16 RBI
14 Runs
4 Stolen bases
.370 On base
.529 Slugging

This guy may get another big contract

I'm okay as long as it is not the Astros signing him. He stinks. Water will settle eventually.
Ags #1
AG
F gomez
Mr.Ackar07
Just waiting for this to happen in the post season:

PatAg
AG
I don't want to sign him. Lets get what we can out of him this year.
DallasAg 94
tl ; dr

Lots of speculation in the DFW radio circuit that Gomez might go with a 1 year "pillow contract" whatever that is. But that is what they are calling it. Same type thing as Desmond got. 1yr/$8-10M to rehabilitate his worth for a bigger contract.

Some saying Desmond might get 4yr/$16-20M per, with the season he is having. I think it will be closer to the $20M, if not higher. The big thing with Desmond is a likely push for a 5th year.

Rangers path will likely be dictated by playoff success.

Ideally, as some in DFW has fantasized... Taking Desmond at 4yr/$16-20M per, sign Gomez for 1yr at $8-10M. Play Desmond-Gomez-Mazara and DH Choo.

Some have speculated as much as it was a need for change of scenery, that it was the role he had on the Astros. He hasn't been anything but positive since coming to the Rangers. For rhe Rangers, we have a very veteran team. Gomez has played with Beltran (39) and Lucroy (30), in the past. I think Lucroy is an "old soul," meaning he acts much more senior. Beltre is 37. Even Banny is a throwback.

Gomez has been asked to come in and fill a role, and play within himself. He doesn't need to get the clutch HR or do anything spectacular. He has taken the ball the opposite way for an infield Sac, to get a run in. Where as, he might have tried to bust the cover off the ball. Winning those little things feeds further success.

He has been very professional and thankful. He has said he deserved to be cut and was disappointed that Houston spent so much to get him and he was unable to deliver.

I've enjoyed Gomez. More than just "change of scenery" I think it was a matter of fitting in the clubhouse and fitting into the role he has been asked. One of the things JD has learned and focuses on is clubhouse fit and overall personality, as much as Sabremetrics.

Desmond was a great fit. Gomez has fit well. Lucroy has fit well. Beltran has fit well.

Astros leaders:
Gattis (30): 1,707 AB, .250
Rasmus (30): 3538 AB, .241

Rangers leaders:
Beltran (39): 9,277 AB, .282
Beltre (37): 10,271 AB, .286
Choo (34): 4,298 AB, .280
Desmond (31): 4,079 AB, .267
Lucroy (30): 2,698 AB, .284
Andrus (28): 4,601 AB, .273
Odor (22): 1,392 AB, .267

Another difference between clubhouses is, the Rangers have brought up players like Mazara, Odor and Profar to help the team win based on need. The Astros have delayed bringing up players in an effort to maintain team control. Not to say it is bad, just different.
Deluxe
AG
Great discussion topic. We need more people analyzing why Gomez has been a better fit with the Rangers than the Astros. Very important stuff.
Farmer1906
AG

quote:
Astros leaders:
Gattis (30): 1,707 AB, .250
Rasmus (30): 3538 AB, .241
Leaders in what? Clubhouse? I'm not sure you have the slightest idea of what you're talking about.

mhayden
quote:
Great discussion topic. We need more people analyzing why Gomez has been a better fit with the Rangers than the Astros. Very important stuff.

Discussing things on a discussion forum. The nerve!
The Shank Ag
Didn't even mean for it to turn into a bash the Astros ineptitude thread.

Happy Accident!
Deluxe
AG
quote:
quote:

Discussing things on a discussion forum. The nerve!
I'm agreeing with you! This is a very important topic to analyze and it's great to see all the thoughts/feedback to the OP!
Ag_07
AG
I love the argument of 'It wasn't so much a change of scenery but it was being a better fit in the clubhouse and new teammates.'

So essentially a change in scenery.

Idiots
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.