Astros get hosed in Cleveland

2,185 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by KatyAg88
Finn Maccumhail
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How can you miss this call?

http://deadspin.com/indians-score-two-runs-on-what-was-definitely-a-foul-ba-1786395385?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Umps call it a wild pitch and live ball, Tribe scores 2 and the umps can't get it right.

E
AG
#Hinched
AgFan1999
AG
Nope, #Joyced
Mozart Paintings
AG
Total hose job (and I'm a Rangers fan). Why wasn't that reviewed?
txag614
How can that not be overturned? Most likely cost them the game!
Ag_07
AG
Not a reviewable play.

They reviewed when he called the play dead (yes he called the play dead when in fact him not calling it a foul meant he called a live play dead for no reason) and when the runs crossed the plate.

Whether it is a foul or not can't be reviewed.
Mozart Paintings
AG
If a ball hits a batter is reviewable. But not if it hits the bat?
Ag_07
AG
Apparently it's reviewable if it's to determine if a batter is hit but not to determine if it's a wild pitch or a foul tip.
PacifistAg
AG
quote:
How can that not be overturned? Most likely cost them the game!
Most likely cost them the game? Just at the surface, it cost them 2 runs and they lost by 3. Could the game have unfolded differently had that call not been blown? Sure. But to say it most likely cost them the game is a stretch.
W
AG
time for Joyce to retire
alvtimes
Remember when Joyce blew a perfect game? Called a Cleveland runner safe.... Must be an Indians fan!!!!!
AustinAg2K
This is one of the things that annoys me about replay (in any sport). If the point of replay is to get the call right, and you have clear evidence the call is wrong, why not allow it to be overturned? Having rules about when replay can be used undermines the rule itself.

This play, by the way, was reviewed. The Indians should have scored three runs, but Joyce called timeout in the middle of the play. In the review, it was determined the third run did not score before timeout was called. Clearly whoever watched the replay saw it was a foul ball. They could have just said, "Hey, you blew the call. It was clearly a foul. Put everyone back where they were." I've never heard of an ump calling timeout in the middle of a live play. I think Joyce immediately knew he f'd up, but was too proud to overrule himself.
MSFC Aggie
AG
Ya, that was a horrible call. How none of the other three umps didn't see it is just crazy. The worst part of it was Joyce calling time.
AustinAg2K
My guess is all the umps saw it. For some reason in baseball, umps don't overrule each other. It's one of those unwritten rule things.
gougler08
AG
Balls don't bounce that far away when it hits a catcher...the damn thing almost landed in the dugout. Absolutely amazing that none of them had the balls to overturn the call on the field
Ag_07
AG
Here's another point...How did the 3B umpire not see it?

If the ball had not hit the bat he would be called on to make a determination if it was a swing or not. So you're telling me he can see that, but he can't see that this ball hit the bat?

Know Your Enemy
AG
Took me a second to see that the ball hit the bat and not the catcher. How did NO ONE see that live from the umpiring crew? Better yet, how did they not hear the ball hit the bat? Wow, that is awful.
Al Bula
AG
I think this guy was the umpire.

KatyAg88
I think that the managers should be given a red flag like in the NFL and keep challenge until they lose.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.