Best catch of the year?

4,682 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Anchor
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dock
Metal spikes on a concrete wall. That could've been really funny.
AgDotCom
Not to minimize the catch, but what determines field of play? I should know this, but don't.
Corporal Punishment
AG
quote:
Not to minimize the catch, but what determines field of play? I should know this, but don't.

I'd like to know this as well.
aggietony2010
AG
I'm gonna go ahead and rule that a foul ball.

Rule 5.09(a)(1) Comment (Rule 6.05(a ) Comment): A fielder may reach into, but not step into, a dugout to make a catch, and if he holds the ball, the catch shall be allowed. A fielder, in order to make a catch on a foul ball nearing a dugout or other out-of-play area (such as the stands), must have one or both feet on or over the playing surface (including the lip of the dugout) and neither foot on the ground inside the dugout or in any other out-of-play area. Ball is in play, unless the fielder, after making a legal catch, steps or falls into a dugout or other out-of-play area, in which case the ball is dead. Status of runners shall be as described in Rule 5.06(b)(3)(C) Comment (Rule 7.04(c) Comment)
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:

Rule 5.09(a)(1) Comment (Rule 6.05(a ) Comment): A fielder may reach into, but not step into, a dugout to make a catch, and if he holds the ball, the catch shall be allowed. A fielder, in order to make a catch on a foul ball nearing a dugout or other out-of-play area (such as the stands), must have one or both feet on or over the playing surface (including the lip of the dugout) and neither foot on the ground inside the dugout or in any other out-of-play area. Ball is in play, unless the fielder, after making a legal catch, steps or falls into a dugout or other out-of-play area, in which case the ball is dead. Status of runners shall be as described in Rule 5.06(b)(3)(C) Comment (Rule 7.04(c) Comment)
Based off that many famous catches (such as Jeter's diving catch into the stands) should not have been ruled outs.
Ag_07
AG
But Bartman's catch was legal right?
aggietony2010
AG
quote:
quote:

Based off that many famous catches (such as Jeter's diving catch into the stands) should not have been ruled outs.
No. The bolded isn't referring to the catch being made, but whether runners can advance, etc.Basically, a baserunner on the Jeter catch could not have tagged and advanced.
Ag_07
AG
Sounds to me like anything is in play unless you're standing on an out of play feature like standing on a seat.

If you jump into the stands and make the catch without standing on anything while making the catch it's all good.
Know Your Enemy
AG
You're right. I read that wrong.
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
But Bartman's catch was legal right?

Is this supposed to bother me?
Ag_07
AG
Just some good Cubbie fan ribbing
Know Your Enemy
AG
That stuff doesn't bother me. I just think it's lame & unfunny, much like the hair/ankles/Subway **** on the football board. 99% of Cubs fans stopped worrying about Steve Bartman 12+ years ago.
aggietony2010
AG
Found it, a couple pages later in the rulebook:

Catch Comment: A catch is legal if the ball is finally held by any fielder, even though juggled, or held by another fielder before it touches the ground. Runners may leave their bases the instant the first fielder touches the ball. A fielder may reach over a fence, railing, rope or other line of demarcation to make a catch. He may jump on top of a railing, or canvas that may be in foul ground. No interference should be allowed when a fielder reaches over a fence, railing, rope or into a stand to catch a ball. He does so at his own risk.
DannyDuberstein
AG
1st row learned from Bartman. Not so much on the 2nd row.
cevans_40
AG
cevans_40
AG
cevans_40
AG
quote:
Edit: Didn't read entire thread
TheAngelFlight
It seems to me like the wall is OK, like the lip of the dugout is said to be.

If he was on the other side of the wall and standing in the seating area itself, then it seems like foul ball, no out.
CampingAg
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

No. The bolded isn't referring to the catch being made, but whether runners can advance, etc.Basically, a baserunner on the Jeter catch could not have tagged and advanced.

Interesting. That would've created quite the controversy if the runner had tagged and run home on that play, only to get sent back.
Represent830
AG
quote:

Catch Comment: A catch is legal if the ball is finally held by any fielder, even though juggled, or held by another fielder before it touches the ground. Runners may leave their bases the instant the first fielder touches the ball. A fielder may reach over a fence, railing, rope or other line of demarcation to make a catch. He may jump on top of a railing, or canvas that may be in foul ground. No interference should be allowed when a fielder reaches over a fence, railing, rope or into a stand to catch a ball. He does so at his own risk.
Where is this from? This seems to contradict the ruling posted earlier.
TheAngelFlight
The first one is unclear, but my take was you had to go into the seating area, and that one is consistent with that interpretation.
Batsleeves
I think it's a great catch. But I don't know it's right or wrong.
COOL LASER FALCON
I think we have a new front runner.

http://deadspin.com/andrew-benintendi-may-have-just-made-the-catch-of-the-s-1785627081?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow
The Lost
Good catch, but definitely not the best of the year.
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
I think we have a new front runner.

http://deadspin.com/andrew-benintendi-may-have-just-made-the-catch-of-the-s-1785627081?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Rizzo's was better than that.
Squirrel Master
AG
I may be wrong, but I think Rizzo's catch may have only counted because of the foot that swung back over the field. But if the railing/wall still counts as the field, it wouldn't matter.
PatAg
AG
Umm, that dude dove halfway over the wall to rob a homerun, not stand on a cement wall and catch a foul ball.
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
Umm, that dude dove halfway over the wall to rob a homerun, not stand on a cement wall and catch a foul ball.

He dove over a wall? You're being way over dramatic there.
JJxvi
AG
quote:
quote:

Where is this from? This seems to contradict the ruling posted earlier.
No it doesnt. The part that it seems to contradict is regarding whether the ball is dead or live after the catch. It becomes dead after the legal catch (ie an out) if the player then steps out of play afterwards.
The Lost
https://amp.twimg.com/v/d395b07c-be34-44b0-a856-d0afbaa9271b

this catch is easily better...
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
https://amp.twimg.com/v/d395b07c-be34-44b0-a856-d0afbaa9271b

this catch is easily better...

That is a great ****ing catch.
knoxtom
Dyson's catch tonight may be the best of them all. Hamiltoni's was just pure speed. Dyson"s is ridiculously hard

Wish I knew how to post it
The Anchor
AG
nm
agracer
AG
quote:
Dyson's catch tonight may be the best of them all. Hamiltoni's was just pure speed. Dyson"s is ridiculously hard

Wish I knew how to post it
http://m.mlb.com/video/v1095444183/must-c-catch-dyson-leaps-to-bring-back-a-home-run/?game_pk=448766
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.