Prince Fielder retiring

4,453 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by akm91
The Anchor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/08/prince-fielder-likely-to-announce-retirement.html
PacifistAg
AG
Sad to see his career end like this. Saw that from 2006-2013, Fielder missed a total of 13 games. The neck just gave out. It was clear that something was wrong again this year. From everything I ever heard about the guy, he was a great clubhouse guy and highly respected.

Hope he stays in the organization to help mentor/teach up guys like Gallo.
PacifistAg
AG

PacifistAg
AG

The spray chart got me wondering about that homerun in CF.

MSFC Aggie
AG
quote:

Alot more infield singles than I would have thought
Gramercy Riffs
AG
quote:

I'm much more interested in the single that landed over the fence in left-center.
TXAggie2011
AG
All those non-home runs past the fence I take it happened on the road in a bigger ballpark?
AggieEE2002
AG

quote:
The six-time All-Star is scheduled to receive $24 million annually through 2020 as part of the nine-year, $214 million deal he signed with the Tigers in 2012.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17256019/career-texas-rangers-designated-hitter-prince-fielder-likely-over

Curious - is that $100M covered by some sort of insurance the club has, or is it $100M that could have been spent on other contracts? Either way that's some huge coin to cough up with zero ROI.
PacifistAg
AG
From my understanding, the Rangers have insurance that will cover 50% of their obligation to him. So, from 2017-2020, the Rangers will be paying him $9 mil per year.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I don't know for sure, but I'd bet money there is some insurance covering at least part of it.

Honest question: was he worth the money even if he could still continue? Not continue what he DID but extrapolate out assuming end of career numbers.
Mr. White
He better be parking cars, selling hot dogs, running in the dot race, etc.
mhayden
quote:
Honest question: was he worth the money even if he could still continue? Not continue what he DID but extrapolate out assuming end of career numbers.

Not sure what you asking in this question.

If Prince continued and hit like he did in his prime (2007-2012), then yes he would be worth the money Texas is paying him.

If Prince continued and hit like he did over his career in Texas, then no he would not be worth the money.

If Prince continued and hit like he did this year, absolutely not. Prince had negative value this season. A league minimum replacement level player would have been superior.
Cynical_Texan
AG
quote:
Don't even need for him to put on a suit in the Dot race, just pick a color and go.
W
AG
so the bottomline...like many folks predicted at the time...his contract was a disaster for the Rangers
DeangeloVickers
AG
Here is how I will remember him.

Playing in a city where cops had just died he decided to post this on his Instagram

https://instagr.am/p/BHke_bzgQND
PacifistAg
AG
quote:
so the bottomline...like many folks predicted at the time...his contract was a disaster for the Rangers
The guy missed 13 games from 06-13. Nobody could have predicted 2 neck surgeries that would end his career. I think most realized the back end of the contract would be bad, but I think we were expecting to at least get solid production for the first 3-4 seasons that would make the back end a little more palatable.

In hindsight, yes it was a horrible trade. The A-Rod contract was a disaster because it kept them from addressing other needs. I wouldn't call this a disaster because it hasn't prevented them from improving the team in other areas.
DannyDuberstein
AG
He was an ironman through 2013 and his lefty bat in the short RF ballpark should have been a great fit for 3-4 years. The last 3 years of the deal were always anticipated to he rough, but this development is a big positive for that portion given this ownership will reinvest the savngs (unlike some).
titanmaster_race
quote:
quote:
Don't even need for him to put on a suit in the Dot race, just pick a color and go.

Fielder, running?

Lol
PacifistAg
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Fielder, running?

Lol

Hey, he has the same number of inside the park homeruns as Rickey Henderson.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
Here is how I will remember him.

Playing in a city where cops had just died he decided to post this on his Instagram

https://instagr.am/p/BHke_bzgQND

Sigh.

He posted that before the shootings took place on July 7.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:

Double sigh.

Did you predict it because you thought his neck was going to fall apart?
mhayden
quote:

I'd consider it more of a waste of money than disaster. Essentially going to pay $90m for 0.3 WAR which is very bad... But disaster somewhat implies that because of the contract Texas really screwed their franchise over.

It's looking like they are about to win their second division title in 3 years, so it's hard to say they've suffered any kind of "disaster".
PacifistAg
AG

quote:
It's looking like they are about to win their second division title in 3 years, so it's hard to say they've suffered any kind of "disaster".
Not to mention, the Rangers don't win the division last year without Prince. He led the team in BA, RBI, HR, OPS, H, OPS+ and played in 158 games.
Macarthur
Agree. And let's not forget the other side of that trade. The way KInsler has been playing was not how he was playing the last year or so in Texas.
PacifistAg
AG
quote:
Agree. And let's not forget the other side of that trade. The way KInsler has been playing was not how he was playing the last year or so in Texas.
Plus there was a logjam of middle infield talent with Andrus/Profar/Kinsler/Odor. If it wasn't Detroit, Kinsler would have been traded somewhere else regardless.
wbt5845
AG
quote:
quote:

Double sigh.

Did you predict it because you thought his neck was going to fall apart?
No, but many did question whether he could stay healthy. Big men have a history of falling off due to injury very fast.

Trust me, I was glad to get him here as I thought his bat fit perfectly in this stadium. But the whole "no one could have predicted all these injuries" stuff is disingenuous at best. Many were predicting how the wheels come flying off big men after they turn 30 and sure enough his did.
EMY92
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Fielder, running?

Lol
I wasn't a Fielder fan, but he always hustled to first, even on routine ground outs. He wasn't like some of the large guys that would walk halfway down the line before turning to the dugout.
mhayden
By all accounts Fielder played very hard and was very well liked among the league and clubhouse.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
No, but many did question whether he could stay healthy. Big men have a history of falling off due to injury very fast.

Trust me, I was glad to get him here as I thought his bat fit perfectly in this stadium. But the whole "no one could have predicted all these injuries" stuff is disingenuous at best. Many were predicting how the wheels come flying off big men after they turn 30 and sure enough his did.
Yeah, I've seen that tossed almost vir batum this season since Fielder started struggling but I usually didn't pay all that much attention to it because there were too many 30 or 40 year old fat guys around the league that continued to wreck shop that I was busy watching highlight videos of.
Silvertaps
AG
Tough to listen to this press conference.
He's clearly upset...can hardly get a sentence out.
. . .
Agree. Tough to listen to & watch.

Wish him all the best in retirement & lives a happy/healthy life.
The Collective
AG
Yea - can tell this is a guy giving up something that he loves. Sucks.
Cynical_Texan
AG
quote:
Yea - can tell this is a guy giving up something that he loves. Sucks.
Time to get a Ring for Fielder.
twilly
AG
Hearing him talk is making me feel for him a lot. Seeing his two boys up there with him is making me chop onions.
The Collective
AG
Did some guy just ask him if he understood how Lou Gehrig felt? WTF dude?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.