Rangers to implode ballpark, build new stadium

41,964 Views | 344 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TXAggie2011
BMX Bandit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
New
Mr.Bond
AG
At what location?
nai06
AG
Mr.Bond said:

At what location?
a parking lot south of the current stadium
Mr.Bond
AG
Go it thanks. It's mind blowing to me that 20 year old stadiums like the Georgia Dome and BPiA are going to be destroyed
nai06
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Go it thanks. It's mind blowing to me that 20 year old stadiums like the Georgia Dome and BPiA are going to be destroyed
Me too, I voted against it.
Mr.Bond
AG
Almost forgot about Turner field too. Atlanta is the poster child for morons
KT 90
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Turner Field situation is the worst. They started there in '97 and are already done with the stadium (Georgia State took over the stadium). Rangers started at TBIA back in 94, and at least still have several more seasons in it.

Have they determined the end game for TBIA? Tearing it down or leaving it? Seems like at least some of it was going to stay, but thought it was still up in the air at to final decision.

KT 90
AG
KT 90 said:

Mr.Bond said:

Turner Field situation is the worst. They started there in '97 and are already done with the stadium (Georgia State took over the stadium). Rangers started at TBIA back in 94, and at least still have several more seasons in it.

Have they determined the end game for TBIA? Tearing it down or leaving it? Seems like at least some of it was going to stay, but thought it was still up in the air at to final decision.

Here is the answer (LINK );

"Unlike Arlington Stadium, city officials will not bulldoze Globe Life Park, but will redevelop the structure as part of the Texas Live! complex. The redevelopment would retain the ballpark's outfield office complex and retain the facade and most of the concourse would be repurposed. Potential uses include repurposing the concourse for condos and retail, as well as turning the current field into an amphitheatre.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globe_Life_Park_in_Arlington#cite_note-17][17][/url] This will be the team's second move to their third ballpark in Arlington since they began in 1972 (their first ballpark was Arlington Stadium)."
nai06
AG
KT 90 said:

KT 90 said:

Mr.Bond said:

Here is the answer (LINK );

"Unlike Arlington Stadium, city officials will not bulldoze Globe Life Park, but will redevelop the structure as part of the Texas Live! complex. The redevelopment would retain the ballpark's outfield office complex and retain the facade and most of the concourse would be repurposed. Potential uses include repurposing the concourse for condos and retail, as well as turning the current field into an amphitheatre.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globe_Life_Park_in_Arlington#cite_note-17][17][/url] This will be the team's second move to their third ballpark in Arlington since they began in 1972 (their first ballpark was Arlington Stadium)."
I'll believe it when i see it. Jerry Jones promised huge economic development and retail spaces when the city voted on the cowboys stadium. Here we are 12 years later and he hasn't done anything nor will he.
Jimmie Dimmick
Yeah, in the end, it's still Arlington. People like Six Flags, football, and baseball. Beyond that, I don't really see this location blowing up significantly.
TXAggie2011
AG
There have been new hotels constructed and a few new restaurants/bars.

Certainly, all the existing places have benefied from the Cowboys---even just by charging for parking. The bars and restaurants are absolutely hopping when stuff is going on at Cowboys Stadium.

I don't recall Jerry saying he was going to go out and buy up land himself and build an entertainment center by himself.

And no doubt the financial incompetence of the former Rangers ownership that was also going to be involved didn't not help.

Ultimately, I'm quite glad we never built something called "Glory Park."
TXAggie2011
AG
Texas Live! has advanced well beyond anything has before.
nai06
AG
I guess you missed the local places that were priced out and closed up shop
DallasAg 94
TXAggie2011 said:

Certainly, all the existing places have benefied from the Cowboys---even just by charging for parking. The bars and restaurants are absolutely hopping when stuff is going on at Cowboys Stadium.
For the... 8... 9 games plus pre-season games?!

What do they do the other 350+ days?!

At least with baseball, you are looking at 81 games plus.
Frok
AG
nai06 said:

Mr.Bond said:

Me too, I voted against it.

That is crazy, I've always thought the ballpark was a nice stadium however I've only been to it a couple times so I don't know how hot it really is. It seems like you could have taken out the office complex to open it up to airflow to help fix that rather than build a billion dollar stadium. But this is professional sports. There is nothing owners love more than cities footing the bill so they can make a few extra bucks. Heck, we had to take out another loan in Houston so NRG could upgrade the freakin scoreboard.
DannyDuberstein
AG
They apparently did spend a lot of time trying to determine if they could put a roof on the existing structure and do it in a time-frame and manner that wouldn't disrupt a season too significantly, as well as do it for a semi reasonable cost. In the end, it was going to be a crazy, disruptive plan that was going to cost a ridiculous amount on it's own, so they decided to say "**** it, let's just build a new one" and also build out the Texas Live idea. I can see the logic of how they got to this decision, but it still seems incredibly wasteful.

My main issue is that I love the layout and look of TBIA - inside and out and including the OF dimensions/layout. The only issue I have with the current one is they overbuilt the corners with 49,000 capacity, but outside of that, perfect. I hope they don't **** that up, and that drawing above has me worried.
nai06
AG
And the city of Arlington got suckered into paying for it under threat of the Rangers leaving which wouldnt have happened
mhayden
It was either stadium as-is or new stadium -- there was no realistic option for retrofitting the current ballpark.

I don't like cities paying for stadiums, but where there is leverage a business is going to use it. Arlington voted yes because they weren't willing to lose the Rangers to Dallas.
TXAggie2011
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

TXAggie2011 said:

For the... 8... 9 games plus pre-season games?!

What do they do the other 350+ days?!

At least with baseball, you are looking at 81 games plus.

Well, you may have missed part of the point. Without Cowboys Stadium they have 365 of non-Cowboys Stadium events to fill up.

But they have 8 or more games plus preseason plus bowl game(s) plus hugh school games plus concerts plus other events plus daily tours, etc.

What do they do the other days? Well, like you said, they have baseball. They have the theme parks. They have a city of almost 400,000.

They make a killing that they otherwise wouldn't if that area was still old apartments, and a few big days a year can go along ways towards improving margins in the service industry.
Mr. White
I hope the powers that be will not follow Jerry and the roof is closed if the temperature is above or below 75 degrees and there are clouds closer than Abilene.

Aside from rain, the roof should never be closed before June 1.
Farmer1906
AG
Mr. White said:

I hope the powers that be will not follow Jerry and the roof is closed if the temperature is above or below 75 degrees and there are clouds closer than Abilene.

Aside from rain, the roof should never be closed before June 1.
Prepare to be disappointed.

However you start the game (open or close) is how it must stay. So if it is 85 at 7, but going to drop into a perfect 71 at 830 then tough. It'll stay closed.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
You sure? The ground rules Wikipedia page says that it can be opened by notifying the crew chief at the beginning of the inning that it will be opened at the end of the inning. It has to begin opening between innings and the opposing coach can challenge at which point the umpire will make a final decision on whether or not it can be opened. Seems like teams just don't want to deal with it.
Farmer1906
AG
Lucky #007 said:

You sure? The ground rules Wikipedia page says that it can be opened by notifying the crew chief at the beginning of the inning that it will be opened at the end of the inning. It has to begin opening between innings and the opposing coach can challenge at which point the umpire will make a final decision on whether or not it can be opened. Seems like teams just don't want to deal with it.
I'm not so sure it is about dealing with it or not. I don't think stadiums roofs can open in that short of a time. I think MMP is something like 10-15 minutes.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
What I saw said they had to start between innings. I had thought it was they had to completely open in that time but nothing I've seen in writing with my quick search said that. Doesn't mean it isn't out there. I did find an article from 2014 with Reid Ryan talking about wanting to go back to opening it during games but that had stopped in 2005 and they didn't know why. There doesn't seem to be a true consensus on the rules it would seem.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
The MLB ground rules page also says that it must commence between innings; not that it has to finish.
Farmer1906
AG
Lucky #007 said:

What I saw said they had to start between innings. I had thought it was they had to completely open in that time but nothing I've seen in writing with my quick search said that. Doesn't mean it isn't out there. I did find an article from 2014 with Reid Ryan talking about wanting to go back to opening it during games but that had stopped in 2005 and they didn't know why. There doesn't seem to be a true consensus on the rules it would seem.
I hope you're right and the Astros are just lazy. Seems like a terrible rule.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I've seen similar. It just has to start between innings, but the main issue seems to be that both teams have to agree during the game - so I'm guessing they don't want to mess with it.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
It didn't sound like they had to agree, just that if the other team doesn't then the umpire has to make a ruling based on the merits of their objection.
mhayden
You can open it between innings (once) if you alert the umpiring crew. It can be challenged, but would take an odd scenario for that to happen.

You can close it whenever you want without consultation.

If I had to wager a guess, I'd say if it's less than 90 degrees it'll be open, above that and it'll be closed... May still allow up to 92-93 to placate the fans that like baseball in the heat.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I bet it's closed essentially all the time like jerry world and mmp
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

If I had to wager a guess, I'd say if it's less than 90 degrees it'll be open, above that and it'll be closed... May still allow up to 92-93 to placate the fans that like baseball in the heat.
Its not more than about 90 degrees at first pitch even for many games in the middle of summer. Obviously there are some real, true scorchers but they better not open that damn roof when its above about 82 degrees because I didn't vote for the city to pony up half a billion for fans to be more comfortable a few handful a games a season.

But on that note, I'm sure the roof will almost never be open.

(And sometimes I'm inclined to say we ought to stop worrying about retractable roof technology on stadiums in the south because they're hardly ever open and we can probably get along just fine without the rare open roof.)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.