Rangers to implode ballpark, build new stadium

41,985 Views | 344 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TXAggie2011
SamuelJensen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Story- http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/arlington/article78764147.html

The ballpark is only 20 years old!
CampingAg
AG
I love the Ballpark, and don't particularly want it to go. But that's the world we live in. Bigger and better.
titanmaster_race
Isn't it more about location rather than the stadium itself?
Mr. White
Milton Bradley Field at John Rocker Ballpark
irish pete ag06
AG
I read some of the Rangers thread responses and was a little surprised to see how many were against indoor baseball.

I can understand being upset about how young that stadium is, but indoor baseball is so much nicer.

I guess I can see why you would be against it, tradition and all. Kind of reminds me when Astros fans (including myself) were violently upset about having the DH. It wasn't one month into the season the first year the Astros were in the AL West and I changed my view completely. DH is better. Roof in Texas is better.

And before you go and say "WHY NOT PUT A ROOF ON KYLE FIELD THEN!" There are 6-7 games played a year there and only a few are in the hottest part of the year. 81+ played in a MLB stadium and most are in the hottest part of the year. That's an apples to oranges comparison.
CampingAg
AG
I'd be okay with keeping the roof closed during bp and pre game festivities, then opening it in the third or fourth inning. But I know that in reality it would probably be closed 80% of the time. Any of you Houston fans have stats on what percentage of games MMP is open?
TXAggie2011
AG
It will be 30 when the lease runs up, so it makes a little more sense.

I nevertheless would like to see an economic analysis to show the lack of a roof causes $15 million a year of lost revenue that makes this a break even deal.

(Assuming $450 million as the team's share split over 30 years.)

And unless the Rangers pay straight cash it'll be more than $450 million.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
I'd be okay with keeping the roof closed during bp and pre game festivities, then opening it in the third or fourth inning. But I know that in reality it would probably be closed 80% of the time. Any of you Houston fans have stats on what percentage of games MMP is open?

The roof would have to be able to completely open in between innings for them to open or close it during the game, unless they changed the rule.

I believe there was a multi-year period when they didn't open the roof at all in Houston.

And I've rarely seen the roof open at Cowboys Stadium.

I would wonder if the economics really favor the cost of a retractable roof versus a closed some. I'm sure folks have worked it out but retractable roof in Texas seems to just mean a dome in practicality.
CampingAg
AG
Seems like a silly rule. Who cares if it's 70 degrees out, and one team gets an extra AB "outside". When this rule was made, was gamesmanship really coming into play in other places? Like team's opening the roof on a pitcher when it's raining, 100 degrees, etc.?
TXAggie2011
AG
I don't know the history but I feel like most sports have a rule that doesn't allow or place limits on openings or closures during play.

It might be in MLB that it can be opening during play but must commence in between innings. I'm not sure.

Either way, I think it would be a very small subset of games they'd want to open it midge.
mhayden
Wouldn't shock me at all if the $$$ value on lost revenue from no roof is significant... I'm a diehard Rangers fan and season ticket holder, and you will rarely see me out at the park in June/July/August. Baseball is just too slow a sport to "enjoy" in 100+ degree weather.
wbt5845
AG
I am a season ticket holder as well. And yeah I go to all those games in July and August. But many season ticket holders straight up skip those games.

I didn't think I'd like an indoor stadium until I visited MMP. I just hope the price of my tickets doesn't go up too much
jckrjr7
AG
All the ball parks in the south have a roof now except the Braves. Houston, Arizona, Miami, Tampa Bay. The one Rangers game I've been to in July was incredibly hot and I could see it keeping fans away.
Say Chowdah
AG
Tax payer funded.
S.AustinAG
Atlanta is opening a new stadium next year. Turner opened for summer Olympics 1996
titanmaster_race
So you don't think a deep fly ball hit with the roof closed at 75 degrees inside with 15% humidity vs roof open and 95 degrees with 80% humidity will behave significantly differently?
Corporal Punishment
AG
quote:
So you don't think a deep fly ball hit with the roof closed at 75 degrees inside with 15% humidity vs roof open and 95 degrees with 80% humidity will behave significantly differently?

As well as no wind versus wind.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Was the technology not in place to build a roof back in the early 90's? Why didn't we get a roof the last time? Was it lack of funds? What a waste.
wbt5845
AG
The technology to have a retractable roof was brand new. Skydome opened in 1989 and was viewed as "futuristic". Rangers wanted a classic ballpark like Camden Yards.
wbt5845
AG
quote:
Atlanta is opening a new stadium next year. Turner opened for summer Olympics 1996

And it is outdoors. Having lived in Marietta, I can tell you it's not bad in the summer - consistently 10 degrees cooler than Dallas with lower humidity.
Ag_07
AG
Retractable roofs are done nowadays in a way that makes indoor ball doable. Take a look for instance Minute Maid, Miller Park, and Safeco Field.

They are built with the large glass windows that allow natural light to come in and really make it not so domish. These stadiums nowadays aren't your typical ugly and uncomfortable Astrodome or Metrodome type stadiums.

I think it's a great move by the Rangers as I wasn't a fan of that stadium anyways. Just reminded me of a large high school stadium.

Mr. White
How does it resemble a large high school stadium?
Corporal Punishment
AG
Pretty sure if you polled the folks on here, most would tell you they've been to a modern retractable roof stadium. I've been to two that have been mentioned here. The stale experience does not resemble outdoor baseball in any way.
Ag_07
AG
I don't want this to turn into a Houston v Dallas or Astros v Rangers thread so I won't go into it.

I gave my opinion and for the sake of this thread I'll leave it at that.
Mr.Bond
AG
This is idiotic. I'm an Astros fan but the ballpark is a beautiful facility with NO need to change. Yes it can be a hot box at times but Jesus it's barely 20 years old. A screw job to local tax payers. Same with Atlanta
Mr. White
quote:
I don't want this to turn into a Houston v Dallas or Astros v Rangers thread so I won't go into it.

I gave my opinion and for the sake of this thread I'll leave it at that.
So it resembles a high school stadium or you're admitting that your Astros fandom influences your opinion of it?
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
I've been to a game in Arlington and loved the stadium. I'm not a fan of domes or retractable roofs. Minute Maids roof may be open for what... 4 games total this year?

It's dumb.
Ag_07
AG

Good try but not working
Ryan34
AG
quote:
Wouldn't shock me at all if the $$$ value on lost revenue from no roof is significant... I'm a diehard Rangers fan and season ticket holder, and you will rarely see me out at the park in June/July/August. Baseball is just too slow a sport to "enjoy" in 100+ degree weather.

Yep. It is miserable to go to their games for most of the season.
Frok
AG
quote:
The roof would have to be able to completely open in between innings for them to open or close it during the game, unless they changed the rule.

There was an interview with Reid Ryan last year and I thought he said that there actually isn't a rule that says you can't open the roof in the middle of the game. The Astros used to do it in the early days of MMP and it was great.

They've started leaving the roof open more the last couple years but it is still closed most of the summer.
chick79
AG
I went to the very first Ranger game at Arlington Stadium in 1972. I am totally against this new stadium.
birdman
Meanwhile, Fenway and Wrigley seem to continue working just fine.
Goldie Wilson
So long jet stream
Goldie Wilson
Hopefully Jerry and Jean have some input on the new stadium. Sky mirror 2.0?
WGann3
AG
I love the current ballpark. I was born in '86 so I basically grew up with the BPiA. Barely remember the old stadium. It's weird to think this one might be gone in what seems like such a short period of time, but 20-25 years seems to be par for the course for the lifespan of the non-sacred baseball stadiums these days. Think I heard it's like the 11th oldest stadium at this point which is crazy to me.

I'm excited about a roof for the obvious weather reasons. I'm way less excited that it's going back to Arlington. I understand why... it's been part of Arlington's identity and it's half way between Dallas and Fort Worth. But man, was I rooting for a downtown baseball setting. I live in Dallas and I'd rather have to go all the way to Fort Worth for games if it was in a downtown setting (not that downtown-ish FW was ever in the cards) than Arlington. I've heard rumors of plans to develop the area around the two stadiums but I'll believe it when I see it. My best option for a post game celebration is freaking BWW or No Frills Grill. Come on...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.