*** Texags Dynasty Fantasy Baseball League - 2016 ***

10,980 Views | 171 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by shano0603
Wrec86 Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Draft is Saturday April 2nd (tomorrow) at 2pm Central time. There is a 60 second time limit, so be a little prepared on the front side. With 14 teams, the draft could take a good amount of time.

I made some small changes from the other thread, so please read through the entire post.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The team list (in draft order)

1. Cincy Flying Pigs - FTACof2011
2. Detroit Crime - texasaggie2015's friend
3. Preston Shorebirds - coreleoneag99
4. Milwaukee Beers - shano0603
5. Las Vegas Broncos - Broncos
6. Winnepeg Americans - Donald Glover
7. Springfield Isotopes - Dan07
8. Cypress Woodpeckers - Frok
9. Aggieland Maroon Sox - navasotaag18
10. The Woodlands Bubbles - aggie1906
11. Seabrook Shrimpers - nuke Laloosh
12. Texarkana Tortugas - texasaggie2015
13. South Padre Pelicans - Moxie
14. Anchorage Moosen - Wrec86 ag

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scoring - 12 categories (I changed this slightly)
Head to Head weekly schedule. - The team that wins the most categories receives a win for the week. The other team will receive a loss. Ties are possible.

Hitting -
Runs Scored
Home Runs
Runs Batted In
Stolen Bases
Batting Average
On base + Slugging %

Pitching -
Wins
Losses - (this should calculate where the team with less losses wins the category)
Strikeouts
Earned run average
WHIP (walks + hits allowed per inning pitched)
Saves (I took "holds" out)

Rosters - as close to real life as possible.
C
1B
2B
SS
3B
OF
OF
OF
UTIL (DH)

5 Bench Spots - you can use these however you wish. Pitchers or Hitters

SP
SP
SP
SP
SP

RP
RP
RP
RP
RP
RP

2 DL spots for injured players
5 NA spots for minor league players
* The players have to be available to be placed there via the Yahoo server. Once they come off of their "DL" or "NA" designation, they will need to be moved to your starting roster before you can make another move.

Playoffs - Top 6 teams, 1 and 2 seeds get bye weeks.

Post season - your team will be "locked" as soon as you are officially eliminated from the playoffs. The bottom 8 teams will be locked after the last regular season week. The top 6 teams will be locked immediately following their loss (or win for the champion)

Redraft the following year. Draft order will be determined by regular season W-L record for non-playoff teams. Playoff teams will be determined by playoff placement.

After keepers are determined (due one week before draft date), the draft order will be set. Each player will draft until their roster hits 25 players. (If you keep 18 players, you only participate in the first 7 rounds of the draft)

Any player that is not "kept" and is on the Yahoo draftboard is eligible for the draft.

We will have DAILY lineup changes, with a transaction limit of 3 per week. This means you can only pick up 3 free agents per week during the season. I am not sure if a trade counts as a "transaction" for this rule, it depends on how Yahoo distinguishes it. This is to try and stop the streaming of pitchers in order to gain an advantage.

Trades are allowed and encouraged. Seeing as this is a dynasty league, some teams that struggle can offload veterans to acquire youth and draft picks. Teams chasing the championship can do the opposite. I will only very rarely even question a trade, and that would be to make sure both sides of the transaction fully understand the trade they are performing, or if there is obvious collusion.

Dynasty (keeper) rules :

All you need to know going into this season - Year one - you will be able to keep up to 18 of your players after the season.

Going into year 1, every player is valued at 1 point.
Every consecutive year he is kept, he gains an additional point in value. (next year he is worth 2 points, etc)
If the player is traded, he retains his value
If a player is dropped, but picked up on waivers, he retains his value.
If a player is dropped, but clears waivers, he is reset to a value of 1 point.

Minor league prospects start at 1 point , but do not increase in value. (defined as less than 100 at bats for a hitter or 30 innings pitched for a pitcher). Once they make it to the big leagues, their clock will start.

Year 1, you have 18 points to keep players (this means that each owner will be able to keep 18 of his players)
Each year, I will increase the number of points owners will have to help offset the rising values, but still keep it strategic in which players they would like to keep.

Example :
Year 1 = 18 points
- you can keep 18 players. (worth 1 point)
Year 2 = 25 points
- you can keep 12 of the original players (worth 2 poitns) + 1 of your new players (worth 1 point) or
- you can keep 5 of your original players (worth 2 points) + 15 of your new players (worth 1 point)

The strategy here is that you need to find who your studs are and make sure you have a way to keep them over a long time. No matter how it turns out, I will make sure there is a balance between some teams keeping a few studs and struggling to fill the rest of their roster and the teams that can "re-set" and gain an advantage with a deeper roster. This will give some parity to the league and allow struggling teams a few strategies to employ to catch up.

This will be discussed over the course of the season, but for 2016, the only thing you need to know is that you are going to be able to keep 18 of your players after the season is over.

Yes, Mike Trout is valued the same as a relief pitcher for this one year, but over time, it will even out to the value that we determine he is at.

These are the rules for the 2016 season. The buy in will be $10, most of which will cover a traveling trophy/ or championship belt that I will ship to whoever wins (or drive it by their house if close enough). This is the first season, and I expect hiccups. Next year's buy in will be $20 - $50, and the rules may be tweaked based on what we learn this year.

I avoided the "honor system" type rules as much as possible. Let's let this year play out and see if we need to adjust.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paypal me at Rmars47 at AOL.com with a comment on which poster your are so that I can cross your name off the list. If you can't paypal me, email me and we'll set up an alternative.
Broncos
Sounds good! I'm ready to bring the trophy/belt home in 2016!
Goldie Wilson
What's the free agent / waiver system? Daily?
Wrec86 Ag
If a player is dropped on Sunday, there is a 2 day waiver period, so you would have until Tuesday to place a waiver on him, then he clears and goes to Free Agency
texasaggie2015
AG
I feel like this is the beginning of my road to being a successful GM in the big leagues
Moxie
AG
Boom! Paid. I look forward to collecting everyone's money in October.
shano0603
AG
So if I keep say Harper for 5 years and then decide it's just too expensive. Whoever has first pick can snag him and he will go back to 1 point?
Detective Jake Peralta
AG
Ready to play for the first overall pick of 2017
Wrec86 Ag
quote:
So if I keep say Harper for 5 years and then decide it's just too expensive. Whoever has first pick can snag him and he will go back to 1 point?

Or if you decided you were going to drop him and fell out of the championship hunt, you could trade him to someone for multiple prospects in return.

In reality, I will be raising the points for keepers enough to where the superstars probably won't hit the market. The secondary guys probably will, though.
Donald Glover
AG
I'm having some weird troubles with paypal.
Farmer1906
AG
Are holds & saves counted the same?
Farmer1906
AG
$$$ sent
Broncos
Middle relievers are people too!
Farmer1906
AG
Tony Watson (41 holds) is probably going a little later than say Craig Kimbrel (39 saves).
Wrec86 Ag
Yea, I did some research after I posted. I didn't realize how many "holds" actually add up over the season.

I'm moving it back to just Saves, and taking holds out of it. While it diminishes the other relief pitchers, something has to give, and I'd rather them be undervalued than overvalued.

Sorry for the late change, but I think it's the right one.

corleoneAg99
AG
Ugh.

With a 14 team league and 6 RP required having holds count makes a ton of sense. We're asking 84 pitchers to be rostered when almost a third of those only really get save chances.

And again, we're shooting for realistic. In a real bullpen the closer isn't the only guy with value.

I'm an O's fan. ODay is just as valuable as Britton.

For Rangers fans Diekman and Dyson and Kela will have just as much value as Tolleson.

I think we should reconsider this?
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
Tony Watson (41 holds) is probably going a little later than say Craig Kimbrel (39 saves).

Sort the rankings from 2015 in Yahoo using our scoring; Kimbrel has more value.

Including holds makes this more realistic.
Wrec86 Ag
I know where you're coming from and I completely understand. That's why I wanted to include it to begin with. The problem is that closers do have more value than the other relief pitchers in real life. If we included holds in that statistic, then we invert it to where they are at least as important as the closers if not more so.

Right now, the relief pitchers do matter significantly (they can make or break your ERA, strikeout, and wins and losses categories) but they are not quite as important as closers because of the saves aspect, which is how I think it should be.

We can play this year like this, and adjust for next year if we look at it as being unfair. This was the toughest decision for me on the scoring.
Farmer1906
AG
I'm okay with holds. I just wanted clarification so I could adjust my strategy accordingly. I do think weighting holds & saves equally is probably not the best idea, but I don't know how all the settings work/can be manipulated.
FTACof2011
AG
If the goal is to replicate running a real franchise then there's no way holds should equal saves. Relief pitchers are a dime a dozen but teams like the Astros will sell the farm for a good closer.
Broncos
Draft day is upon us!
corleoneAg99
AG
I guess we can disagree on value of RP's. Last year Kimbrel and Kela had basically the same WAR. ODay had a higher WAR than Jeurys Familia.

Anyway, thanks for leaving it for this season.
corleoneAg99
AG
quote:
If the goal is to replicate running a real franchise then there's no way holds should equal saves. Relief pitchers are a dime a dozen but teams like the Astros will sell the farm for a good closer.

Traded for Giles, right?

8th in RP WAR last year and had how many saves?

Ok I'll drop it now.
Broncos
Will you be taking O'Day third overall?
corleoneAg99
AG
If this was a RP only draft he would get strong consideration!
Broncos
I mean, if you don't I definitely am. Totally worth a first round pick. Should easily be taken over those Trout and Harper guys.
corleoneAg99
AG
If you think having one of the best RP's in baseball is what you want to knock out in the first round I'd highly recommend him, brah.
Goldie Wilson
Is there any way to do a half point for each hold and full point for each save? So the scoring category is Saves + (.5)(Holds)

Not sure if Yahoo will allow this, but seems like a reasonable compromise
Wrec86 Ag
There is not a way to do that unfortunately. Yahoo has set categories I can choose from.

Corleone, I want to make sure you see this. Holds are NOT included as a category this year. It will only be saves.
Wrec86 Ag
quote:
Anyway, thanks for leaving it for this season.

Quoting and replying to you to make sure you see it. - Holds are NOT tracked this year.
corleoneAg99
AG
Sorry misunderstood that you changed it back.

I think this is a poor scoring choice. Hopefully we'll reconsider next year.
Goldie Wilson
I don't understand the logic in having 6 RP spots but not including holds. Maybe we could add holds as a separate category and add an additional hitting category?
Broncos
Maybe next year we can explore holds and saves being separate categories.

That said, Corleone should still take O'Day in the first.
Broncos
Hey commish, while reviewing the league settings it only shows 2 'NA' spots. Are we still going with 5?
Wrec86 Ag
Yes 5 NA spots. I just updated it.

I know where you guys are coming from on holds. We will look at it at the end of the year. For this year, relief pitchers might be undervalued, but we all know that going in.

I also agree with FTACof2011 that if there's any position in baseball that is considered replaceable, it's relief pitchers (excluding closers), so if there's one position that needs to be undervalued, I'm ok with it being them

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.