My Oldest Son's HS Baseball Journey

47,914 Views | 264 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TAM85
CinchAG97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm starting this thread today because my oldest son, a 14 year old Freshman, has his first HS scrimmage today. I wanted to start this thread for a couple of reasons - one is the serve as a sort of blog to ramble on regarding youth baseball up until high school and the high school experience. The other is to get advice, maybe sometimes give advice, about our sons' experiences and learn from each other.

For me, I was a baseball ignoramus, and in a lot of ways I still am. I played two years of Little League growing up because that was all we had where I grew up. No tee ball, no machine pitch and nothing after LL - no HS baseball. The football coaches were allegedly concerned that starting a HS baseball team would interfere with track season (aka football offseason) and football offseason. We were a football school, and no baseball was going to interfere with that.

I passively watched a little baseball here and there growing up, but never appreciated the game because I didn't understand it. Throw ball, hit ball, catch ball, run bases isn't that exciting to a kid who doesn't understand the game. When I got to A&M, I really enjoyed going to A&M baseball games. Probably more because of the fun fan experience than the game itself. I loved the Raggies and yelling at the other team from the 2nd deck. Watching the Aggies win was always fun though, and one of my favorite all-time moments as an Aggie sports fan came when we beat Clemson in the Super Regional to go to the CWS. I still have a foul ball from that game and when Fossum closed the game out, we all went insane. I'll never forget it.

Then, I met my wife. She grew up in a baseball crazy house. Her Dad is and always has been a huge baseball fan. Her older brothers played baseball and she dated baseball players in HS and college. She understood the game and had that deeper appreciation than I never had. So, when we found out that our first child was a boy, he was going to play baseball. My father-in-law wouldn't have had it any other way.

My son started playing in the yard as soon as he could throw a ball or swing one of those fat plastic bats. He showed an early attraction to the game, but what kid doesn't enjoy playing outside with Mom and Dad - especially if it involves throwing things and hitting things. He wasn't some sort of prodigy or anything. He was just a normal kid whose parents played with him outside. He started tee ball at 6 - not at 3 or 4 like I see now days - and he was almost good. Definitely not the best kid on the team, but not the worst. The biggest difference in kids at a young age is how much time their parents spend with them just playing catch or playing "hit" in the yard.

He ended up really liking baseball, so we decided to put in more time at home to get him better, and he enjoyed it. I ended up being an assistant coach in his first year of machine pitch LL, and then ended up being the head coach on his last LL machine pitch team when he was 8. By that time, he had progressed to the point where he was really good compared to his peers. Not because he had been blessed with great genetics or athletic ability, but because he had fun playing baseball and enjoyed working on it at home. It was all still play to him, which is the point at a young age.

But, I noticed that I was taking things too seriously as a Dad / coach. I was nervous about every little thing, and I was harder on my son than I was the other boys on the team. I also was self-aware enough to know that my baseball knowledge was so rudimentary that any coaching I did after an 8 year old level was going to be detrimental to the kids. So, we made the decision to let him tryout for a tournament team which was 8U coach pitch, and turn him over to other coaches who knew what they were doing.

That move to tournament baseball started a 6 year journey from 8U through 14U which was great at times and trying at times. My son will tell you that his dream growing up, and to this day, is to play college baseball. I tried to focus on high school baseball. I hate to allow myself to dream too big because I think I would end up putting unfair pressure on my kid to fulfill my big dream. I told many people throughout the years that my goal was for him to have a good high school experience, and be a good high school player.

So, since this is ridiculously long already, I'll close out that I'm nervous as a cat about tonight. It's stupid because I don't think my son is nervous at all. But, dumb old Dad can't help it because this is all new to me, and I have no idea what to expect. Here's to a 4 year journey - a 4 year learning experience for me.
Capt_Crunch 14
AG
Kudos to you on being mature enough to pass your son along to more knowledgable coaches. That probably saved him from being burned out and giving up the game early like most of the good guys I played with growing up.

I come from a family like your wife's so I'm clearly biased but I firmly believe there's not a better game out there. Good luck to your son.
Wabs
AG
I'll join in and follow your "blog". My son is 13 and has been playing baseball since he was 5, every spring and every fall. Little League as well as select ball - now strictly select ball. His dream is also to play college ball, he loves everything about the game.

Similar to you, I coached my son's teams all the way up to age 11. I then "turned him over" to other coaches. He made the adjustment better than I did, even though I've learned to deal with it.

You are right when you say that he is not anywhere near as nervous as you. My son is the same. He just takes things in stride while I'm a balled up mess watching him play. But, I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

I can't imagine the thrill/nerves/excitement you must be feeling to watch your son take the field for his high school team. I can't wait for that in 2 years!

Best of luck to your son. Enjoy the ride!
Dale Gribble
Good post! I'm interested to hear your experiences. I was a HS baseball player once upon a time, and it has always been my favorite. I even loved practice! My wife was a college softball player, so as you can imagine, our household spends a lot of time out at the ballfield.

I've got a 9 year old baseball player and a 6 year old softball player. It's an exciting year for both as the 9 year old is in kid pitch for the first time and 6 year old is in machine pitch for the first time. Can't wait for the season to start!!

CinchAG97
I have a feeling that fathers who have already been through HS baseball with their kids will probably chuckle a little bit at my (or our) nervousness.

I know what a mess I was when my son was younger - especially 8U-10U. Y'all would've thought I was a crazy lunatic if I would've posted everything that I was stressed-out about, mad about or happy about back then. Everything seemed SO important. Was he paying attention in practice? Was he trying as hard as other boys? Was his swing OK? Did he throw the ball right? Are the coaches giving him a fair shot?

One thing I've learned looking back is that none of the little things I stressed about really mattered. The big picture mattered - he was getting to play under some great coaches and they were developing him as a complete ball player, and his development pattern was (is) unique to him. He played mostly catcher, pitched and sometimes (rarely) played 3B or corner OF.

This fall, he started with a new organization, and when they saw him, they projected him as an OF. So, for the fall, he played CF if he wasn't pitching. He hadn't played CF since Little League. My wife and I were both praying that they wouldn't hit the ball to him in CF. Of course, they did hit the ball to center and he ended up making the play - again and again. Well, I guess we can add CF to his list of positions.

He gets to HS tryouts, does really well, and according to some other parents looked exceptional behind the plate. (I wasn't there so I have to take their word for it). Where do the HS coaches put him? At SS and 3B. Short Stop - another position he hasn't played since LL, but in their eyes, they wanted to take a look at him there. I truly don't think he's a SS. He's just not fluid enough or "glovesy" enough. But, he will play wherever those HS coaches need him, and he'll work hard to earn his playing time. He's getting practice time at short and if he trots out there in a scrimmage or a game, I'll be the Dad chewing on his fingernails looking like he's got an upset stomach.

Point being - the little things that I used to get caught up in and worry about are mostly meaningless, and different eyes from different coaches see things in our kids that we don't necessarily see as fathers.
Aggieangler93
AG
I'm following along also, with interest. My son is in 12U select right now, which is also my first year since he was 5yo, not to be coaching in any capacity. He loves the game as much as I do. I hope, like me, for life. It is very difficult to stand around watching at practice!!!

Anyway, I hope things continue to go well for your son. I am excited to hear more.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
HECUBUS
AG
Similar. Fourteen year old's first HS scrimmage starts in about two and a half hours. We went all the way through LL, one year of fundamental select and now HS.

Really never have any expectations and still encourage the boy to walk away the moment it stops being fun. Couldn't be prouder of what he's accomplished.

His little sister is a better athlete. We certainly appreciate how lucky we are to have the kids we have. Half A dozen friends made it too, some we've known since kindergarten. Baseball is one giant family in these parts. We are lucky to have a great local Little League.
HECUBUS
AG
I've been advised by a former player that these scrimmages are long and not great for spectating.
96ags
AG
quote:
I've been advised by a former player that these scrimmages are long and not great for spectating.
Depends on your definition of good spectating.

On one hand, they are fundamentally focused with lots of substitutions and situational based scenarios that can go on for hours.

On the other hand, it is baseball and your boy is a participating.

For me personally, I sat through a 3 1/2 freshman scrimmage last night and loved every minute of it!
HECUBUS
AG
I'll enjoy just hanging out with the other parents and working concessions. Our practices are closed, so I haven't even seen them on the field since Wednesday a week ago. Still, nothing compares to watching them pitch a game. Six batters will have to be good enough.

Yikes, have to be at the field by four. Good luck to all!
Wabs
AG
HECUBUS
AG
So it was not that interesting, two errors by our team and maybe five by Vandergrift. Kids looked a little nervous. Five kids got to pitch and eleven kids got to bat. It was only two hours, because there was a JV1 game to play also.

It appeared that all the dads survived.
10andBOUNCE
AG
I'll follow along. I only have an 18 mo old boy. I'm sure as the next few years go along I will have to fight the urge to push any sport, especially baseball on him.

I coached a large high school freshman baseball team for two years as well as the 15/16u travel team in the summer. It's such a fun age. I really enjoyed getting to know some of the dads and moms. I'll still text a couple of them years down the road now to check in to see how their sons are doing in college.

If your son is having fun and working hard, there isn't anything else you could ask for!
CinchAG97
I don't intend to do a game-by-game update, but since it's opening night...

The scrimmage was pretty unremarkable. It was our 4A JV vs. a 5A JV, and I honestly expected better from the 5A school. I'm not belittling the opposing school, and I think it's just an example of not knowing what to expect.

Our kids played really well, especially our pitching. We ran 6 pitchers out there and they all looked good. My son started at 3B, pitched the 2nd inning and went back to 3B for the third inning before being done for the night. He didn't allow any runs and struck out two, so it was a good first outing. In his only at bat, he struck out swinging on a curve ball, so I yelled at him from the stands (just kidding).

I'm glad some other folks are chiming in here, and this thread should be a place to brag about all of our boys. I never really brag on my son face-to-face because it's just uncomfortable. But, I do love hearing about other kids and their successes and challenges. It's a fun time of year!
Texker
AG
High School sports are a cocktail of exhilarating, frustrating, political anticipatory euphoria. It's a cluster on the best day. The high school team carries a certain social and psychological importance but the key to getting your athlete to the next level(assuming THEY aspire to that) is their summer team.
aggiebrad94
AG
quote:
In his only at bat, he struck out swinging on a curve ball, so I yelled at him from the stands (just kidding).
You won't be a very good baseball dad until you yell at the coach for not teaching him to hit curve balls.
Schrute
quote:
In his only at bat, he struck out swinging on a curve ball, so I yelled at him from the stands (just kidding).
At least he struck out swinging. If you asked my son what my #1 pet peeve is, he will no doubt say "striking out looking". He's heard it 1000X from me, "I didn't come out here to watch you hold the bat on your shoulder".
ABATTBQ87
AG
My son started playing baseball in the spring of 2001 and finished his senior year in the spring of 2015

I coached every year and coached the last five years as a high school summer coach with our team playing anywhere from 16 to 40 games a season

As a hs umpire my goal was to teach the players the rules of the game as well as improving their baseball IQ, and so the summer was meant to be fun and to allow players to play positions that they haven't played in the past to get experience in to see the game from different positions.

Since some of you are new to the high school game understand high school baseball rules are different than pony and little league rules in some situations
Shelton98
AG
My oldest had his last, first varsity scrimmage yesterday. I can't even begin to count the games, practices, miles or hotel rooms over the last 12 years. My favorite 3 "phases" of the whole experience were...

1. 13U & 14U select ball: the kids are physically mature enough at this age to play the game at a very high level but still young enough to be scared of girls and need a ride to practice

2. Varsity playoffs: the competition level is high, the fan support is much greater than select ball, and it's a hometown thing

3. 7-8 machine pitch: non-stop action for 90 minutes.... especially from the parents
10andBOUNCE
AG
quote:
quote:
At least he struck out swinging. If you asked my son what my #1 pet peeve is, he will no doubt say "striking out looking". He's heard it 1000X from me, "I didn't come out here to watch you hold the bat on your shoulder".
This is what my dad always said to me too. To be honest it is a little antiquated in my opinion. No offense, but "what you came to watch" has no bearing on the outcome of the game. The preference is to always put the ball in play and make the other team work for their outs. I get that. However, if you start expanding your zone, some kids can let that affect how they approach the strike zone ahead in the count. Also, I think a lot of sabremetrics in today's pro ball supports the fact that there is value in not expanding your strike zone too much so you can get on base via walks. If you expand your zone to "protect the plate" on a 3-2 count and end up hitting a soft ground ball to second base, there is a chance that borderline pitch could have been called a ball and a walk was forfeited. Therefore, I think the looking strike out is a little over played. I'll admit that it probably doesn't make as much sense at the high school level, however.
Wabs
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
This is what my dad always said to me too. To be honest it is a little antiquated in my opinion. No offense, but "what you came to watch" has no bearing on the outcome of the game. The preference is to always put the ball in play and make the other team work for their outs. I get that. However, if you start expanding your zone, some kids can let that affect how they approach the strike zone ahead in the count. Also, I think a lot of sabremetrics in today's pro ball supports the fact that there is value in not expanding your strike zone too much so you can get on base via walks. If you expand your zone to "protect the plate" on a 3-2 count and end up hitting a soft ground ball to second base, there is a chance that borderline pitch could have been called a ball and a walk was forfeited. Therefore, I think the looking strike out is a little over played. I'll admit that it probably doesn't make as much sense at the high school level, however.
You eluded to it, but the approach you're talking about IMO is for upper levels of baseball (college, pro, maybe HS). But I agree with Schrute for the most part about not liking striking out looking.

In my experience, it all starts at BP. Far too often I've seen coaches conduct BP the wrong way - basically just throwing pitches in there and letting them swing away at anything. Personally, I NEVER did BP without incorporating a strike/ball count - basically teaching approach at the plate, more so than just swinging to hit the ball.

There are thousands of different opinions on how to handle a 2-strike count. My philosophy was the traditional "battle". Up in the box, toes on the line (crowding the plate), shorten the swing, and make contact with anything close. Think opposite field. Make the pitcher work. Especially at the younger ages, the more pitches he throws, the more frustrated he gets, and eventually he'll lay one right down the middle for you to drive.

ABATTBQ87
AG

quote:
there is a chance that borderline pitch could have been called a ball and a walk was forfeited.
I'll share a little secret with you: every pitch is a strike unless it convinces us (umpires) it's not.

If a catcher sets up in a normal position and doesn't have to dive or thrust toward the ball to catch it, it will be called a strike.
Wabs
AG
quote:

quote:
there is a chance that borderline pitch could have been called a ball and a walk was forfeited.
I'll share a little secret with you: every pitch is a strike unless it convinces us (umpires) it's not.

If a catcher sets up in a normal position and doesn't have to dive or thrust toward the ball to catch it, it will be called a strike.
Exactly why I tell my son (and the others I coach) to not take "bordeline" pitches with a 2-strike count. I tell them "Don't let the ump decide, YOU decide".
ABATTBQ87
AG

quote:
Exactly why I tell my son (and the others I coach) to not take "bordeline" pitches with a 2-strike count. I tell them "Don't let the ump decide, YOU decide".
I coach summer high school teams and I preach that we are playing a time limit game and it's hot and umpires want outs not walks, so swing the bat!
Aggieangler93
10andBOUNCE
AG
quote:
quote:

quote:

That's fine, we can agree to disagree. I think a lot depends on how the ump is calling the game, although sometimes that doesn't matter as high school umps can be all over the place. I just don't think I can get mad at a kid who thinks they took ball 4 and might get rung up. Especially when it's a pitcher's pitch that they likely will not be able to do anything with anyways.

And this all changes when you get into situations where the ball NEEDS to be put into play. Runner on second base and no outs - yea go ahead and fling your bat out and hit a weak ground ball to second baseman and move the runner over. If the runner is on first and no outs, just putting the ball into play on a borderline pitch is now subjecting yourself to a double play ball, strike out swinging, other weak contact, etc.

Sorry to de-rail. I like the topic though!
HECUBUS
AG
In our HS scrimmage, the strike zone was pulled in about the width of the ball. Our select team likes to expand it about the width of a ball and start with a one, one count. The HS scrimmage changed pitchers every inning and every pitcher had at least one base runner. The select scrimmage is more focused on that first pitch and pitchers get to throw their strike out pitch. The pitchers that get the first pitch strike usually get 3 K's an inning.

I think the select scrimmage is better for pitching and hitting, with few base runners unless there's a pitcher who can't get that first strike. The HS scrimmage was better for generating balls in play and base runners.

With each pitcher only getting one inning and each player getting one at bat and maybe three innings in the field, HS scrimmages appear to be about just getting the kids action on the field for the first time.

Our kid's second scrimmage is tonight, again with a second game following to keep it short.
HaveGoodGetGive
AG
following...
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
In our HS scrimmage, the strike zone was pulled in about the width of the ball. Our select team likes to expand it about the width of a ball and start with a one, one count. The HS scrimmage changed pitchers every inning and every pitcher had at least one base runner. The select scrimmage is more focused on that first pitch and pitchers get to throw their strike out pitch. The pitchers that get the first pitch strike usually get 3 K's an inning.

I think the select scrimmage is better for pitching and hitting, with few base runners unless there's a pitcher who can't get that first strike. The HS scrimmage was better for generating balls in play and base runners.

With each pitcher only getting one inning and each player getting one at bat and maybe three innings in the field, HS scrimmages appear to be about just getting the kids action on the field for the first time.

Our kid's second scrimmage is tonight, again with a second game following to keep it short.
Unlike select baseball, HS baseball rosters are not loaded with high energy, highly talented players. Some teams are waiting for basketball season to end to get better players on the field.
HECUBUS
AG
quote:
HS baseball rosters are not loaded with high energy, highly talented players.

It's not like that here. Outside of some football players and a couple of other head scratchers, the majority represent the best of the select players.
MAROON
AG
I'll follow. My son will start his final baseball season on Monday (as he decided his senior year to join the swim team!). He will be way behind but since he's a pitcher only he will get up to speed pretty fast. The good thing is he will start baseball in better shape than he has ever been before.

Enjoy hs baseball - remember that no matter what position or role the coaches have for your kid, you cannot say one thing to the coach or your son. Just sit back and enjoy the experience.
HECUBUS
AG
quote:
you cannot say one thing to the coach or your son

So far, I have quoted "The Mental Game of Baseball" a couple of times. I find you can redirect all complaints to positive actions, goals and accountability.

What you will find is that freshman HS ball has fewer coaches and more kids than select programs. That's not going to change. On the plus side, they have much nicer facilities and awesome weightrooms, tracks, etc.

And you can say "yes" to coach who will be asking for money and volunteers on a regular basis. HS baseball is more expensive than select baseball.
MAROON
AG
not sure where you live, but in Houston high school ball is made of of 100% select kids. No one that has not played select can make a hs team in the good programs.

It is not more expensive than select.
Schrute
quote:
quote:
you cannot say one thing to the coach or your son

So far, I have quoted "The Mental Game of Baseball" a couple of times. I find you can redirect all complaints to positive actions, goals and accountability.

What you will find is that freshman HS ball has fewer coaches and more kids than select programs. That's not going to change. On the plus side, they have much nicer facilities and awesome weightrooms, tracks, etc.

And you can say "yes" to coach who will be asking for money and volunteers on a regular basis. HS baseball is more expensive than select baseball.
Hecubus - I'd be interested to know what HS coaches ask for in terms of volunteers. What does the coach ask for volunteers to do? My kid will be playing high school ball next year.
MAROON
AG
at our school parents are asked to run the scoreboard, provide drinks for the players, and play the walk up music. Nothing else.

I've never seen a Dad set foot on the field or in the dugout (and we have multiple Dad's who have played D1 and Pro Ball).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.