Yao Ming in the Hall of Fame

3,061 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ulrich
94chem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
...and this is why a trip to Cooperstown is a religious experience; Canton, OH, is pretty good; and nobody can even remember where the basketball Hall of Fame is.
ATM9000
AG
Yao was huge for the game globally and absolutely deserves it. It has more to do with nobody really giving a damn about basketball until 40 years ago than it does with undeserving people getting into the Hall.
94chem
quote:
Yao was huge for causing the Chinese government to forcibly take tall 6 year olds from their families and train them to be centers.
Would be nice to see a point guard come out of China someday...
ATM9000
AG
quote:
quote:
Yao was huge for causing the Chinese government to forcibly take tall 6 year olds from their families and train them to be centers.
Would be nice to see a point guard come out of China someday...

What? You are an idiot trying to make this political. Just stop. He deserves it given his contributions globally and your dumb point abt the basketball HOF is mostly due to basketball not mattering on a national level until the 80's or so. HTH.
94chem
quote:
You are an idiot

You seem like a reasonable and fair-minded person. I'm sure most others on here would agree.

Is Arvydas Sabonis in there?
ATM9000
AG
quote:
quote:
You are an idiot

You seem like a reasonable and fair-minded person. I'm sure most others on here would agree.

Is Arvydas Sabonis in there?

He is and he deserves to be.

I called you an idiot because your anti-Yao argument is stupid. First it is because you don't get goosebumps about the basketball hall of fame then it is a weird comment about wanting PG's from China and eluding that Yao was forcibly taken from his parents at 6 to train. It's all literally the rantings of a dumbass. Stop being a dumbass.
West Texan
AG
Threads like this and people that share a similar sentiment is because unlike Cooperstown and Canton, the Naismith Hall of Fame includes ALL basketball. Not just the NBA, which is what we care the most about here in the US. Globally, basketball is much more than the just the NBA, so having a stellar international and olympic careers can get guys in the hall. Like it or not, it is what it is.
ATM9000
AG
I don't agree with that (I'll engage civally since you aren't making dumb arguments ).

Most of your Babe Ruths, Gehrigs, and Dimaggios in basketball are not only still alive, but lots of footage of them exists and is easy to access. I don't think the bball hall of fame in Springfield is broken... It just represents something completely different than Cooperstown does and it always will because footage of what Jordan, Bird, Magic and to a lesser extent Kareem and much lesser extent Wilt and Russell is exponentially more accessible than footage of Ruth or Cobb playing.

For most going to Cooperstown seeing the John Smoltz or Eckersly plaques aren't 'religious'... The Ruth and Wagner plaques are though.
Dan Scott
AG
A lot of people from China will go visit the HOF and have a "religious experience" when they see Yao.
aggie93
AG
Yao Ming's greatest accomplishment was getting millions of Chinese to vote him as a starter to the AS game every year regardless of his performance. He tore it up in the Chinese league but that's not saying much, it's significantly below European ball. He didn't win any Olympic medals or World Championships, much less an NBA Title. He's probably the greatest Chinese player of all time but that isn't saying a lot.

Sabonis was a legend in Europe and really only came to the NBA when he was already on the end of his prime. You can't compare him to Yao.

Yao deserves the Hall of "Very good" but not the HOF. You have to win something or do something great at some point to be a HOF'er, Yao just never really climbed that mountain. He only was healthy for a couple of seasons in his career as well, really from '05 onward he was missing huge portions of almost every year.

Ag Natural
AG
The basketball HOF is actually really cool. They renovated several years ago and it's a top-notch facility now. The only downside is its in Springfield, MA. Not exactly a mecca for anything except poverty and corruption. If you are ever passing through I highly recommend stopping for a day.
Guitarsoup
AG
Sabonis has a bunch of Euro awards, plus an Olympic Gold Medal, FIBA World Cup Gold Medal and FIBA EuroBasket Gold Medal.
94chem
My point about Sabonis was that he'd better be in there if Yao is.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
My point about Sabonis was that he'd better be in there if Yao is.

Pretty sure Sabonis is in.
ce1994
AG
Look at the head to head stats. When Yao Ming played Shaquille O'Neal Ming got the better of him. When he played Dwight Howard he got the better of him. Yao Ming was a very, very good player. Because he did not hand from a rim and talk a bunch of crap should not take away from his greatness. But unfortunately it does.

People today focus on style over substance. They only know the guy that screams the loudest and makes the biggest fools of themselves.
ce1994
AG
Sabonis was a BASKETBALL player. The guy could pass like a point guard. He could dribble up the floor leading a fast break. What we saw in the United States was only a fraction of what he was. Sabonis had a devastating knee injury at a time that having a devastating knee injury was career ending. When he played for Portland he was not the athlete he was in his prime. Scouts talked about Sabonis as if he could have been the most dominant ever.

Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Look at the head to head stats. When Yao Ming played Shaquille O'Neal Ming got the better of him. When he played Dwight Howard he got the better of him. Yao Ming was a very, very good player. Because he did not hand from a rim and talk a bunch of crap should not take away from his greatness. But unfortunately it does.

People today focus on style over substance. They only know the guy that screams the loudest and makes the biggest fools of themselves.

Shaq averaged 23/10/2.5 on 55% shooting to Yao's 19/11/1.5 on 47% shooting.

In the playoffs, Shaq limited Yao to 15/7 in 37mpg.
ce1994
AG
And that is correct. I was wrong in my attempt to seem smart and am now going to pay the price. I get no points and may God have mercy on my soul.
W
AG
Yao was a disappointment with the Rockets.

when you're the #1 overall pick...needs to be some championships along the way
Enzo The Baker
AG
Only four number 1 picks (Duncan, Bron, Bogut, Iriving) in the last 20 years went on to win a championship. And Bogut's was as a role player.
Ulrich
quote:
Only four number 1 picks (Duncan, Bron, Bogut, Iriving) in the last 20 years went on to win a championship. And Bogut's was as a role player.

9 of the last 18 titles featured one or more of those four players.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.