Westbrook agrees to extension in OKC

2,544 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Good Poster
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
3y86mm.
Deluxe
BBQ4Me
AG
So much of the narrative around KD bolting was that he knew Russ would leave in 2017. One would assume that Russ was candid with KD that Russ wasn't committed to leaving in 2017.

So, basically KD left for GS because he thought it was his only shot for a ring
Deluxe
AG
quote:
So much of the narrative around KD bolting was that he knew Russ would leave in 2017. One would assume that Russ was candid with KD that Russ wasn't committed to leaving in 2017.

I think there's alot more to it than that
TexAgs1992
quote:
quote:

Based on today's news, I don't.
Deluxe
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Based on today's news, I don't.

What about today's news makes you think the only reason why KD went to GS is for a ring? Not following your logic.
BBQ4Me
AG
KD didn't leave for more money (more money was in OKC)
KD didn't leave because he wasn't loved in OKC
KD didn't leave because he had a bad coach (Donovan is great)
KD didn't leave because he was going home (he's from DC)
KD didn't leave to be the alpha dog (Curry is that in GS)
KD didn't leave because he hated Westbrook (says they had a good relationship; now it's strained once he left)
KD didn't leave because Westbrook was leaving for LA (as evidenced by today)

If it wasn't about chasing rings, then what was it?
Deluxe
AG
From everything I've read, the main reasons were as follows:

1) Style of play - Likes the ball movement and unselfishness the Warriors play with

2) Personal growth - New city/community, more diverse, more things to do for a single guy in his mid-20s

3) Tight bonds with Steph, Clay and Draymond

4) No pressure/good vibe pitches from Kerr/West

People just jumped to conclusions thinking that he left because he knew Russ was gone.
jeffdjohnson
He did it for more short term cash (next 2 years) with the ability to opt out at his 10 year service mark. I think he can get 35% of the salary cap at that point. If Durant had stayed then I don't know if Westbrook could have taken this deal. I'm not sure about the cap ramifications, maybe someone else knows.
Guitarsoup
AG
OKC has about 3mm in cap space right now with 13 players under contract plus three players on cap hold. Next summer, they only have 4 players under contract, including Westbrook, Kanter, Abrines and Singler.
Deluxe
AG
Good read on the Thunder's upcoming cap situation and how they can clear room for a max guy next summer...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-okc-can-add-a-max-player-to-join-westbrook-203537423.html
Seven Costanza
AG
quote:
OKC has about 3mm in cap space right now with 13 players under contract plus three players on cap hold. Next summer, they only have 4 players under contract, including Westbrook, Kanter, Abrines and Singler.
Are they just waiting to sign Sabonis until after the Olympics?
Good Poster
AG
quote:
Donovan is great

Wrong
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.