Mavericks lucked into a great free agent season somehow

2,135 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mavsfan4ever
knoxtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Two home runs and one to be decided later.

Getting rid of Abercrombie was fantastic. Parsons is not close to an average NBA player AND he has horrible knees. Add to it, he was always in the news and griping about something or other. Getting him gone made this a good off-season no matter what else happens. Memphis is the proud owner of the biggest turd contract in the NBA.

Getting Bogut is Amazing for this team. Nothing was needed more than a defensive center and Bogut is one of the very best. Plus he will be retiring about the same time as Nowitzki clearing the entire roster at once.

Harrison Barnes. Bleh. So I think he will be much better now that he is out of the GSW show. He needs 15 shots every night, he plays pretty hard, good athlete, basketball smarts, etc. But jeeze a MAX PLAYER? This guy is WAAAAY better player than Abercrombie, way less distracting. But still a MAX CONTRACT for Harrison Barnes?

You know there wasn't a requirement that every team HAD to sign some idiot to a insane contract. They could have gone under the cap and had more next year. Still Harrison Barnes improves the team, Abercrombie is addition by subtraction, and Bogut is a steal even if he misses 30 games with an injury (which he does almost every year).

Hey, and they didn't overpay for an overrated point guard either. Wins everywhere.
PatAg
AG
Did they change the definition of great?

I agree about Parsons though, our medical staff must know something..
Ags #1
AG
Hahahahhha. Is this for real
Guitarsoup
AG
Trolling on the NBA board
hph6203
AG
Yup, KD thread and now this one. Mavs have had the same offseason they've had for the last 3+ years, strikeout and then do enough to tread water.
knoxtom
FWIW, Hitzkis and Donovon just agreed with every word I said, not that that means very much.

Bogut, Nowitzki, Barnes, Matthews, and Williams is a VERY good starting five. There is little off the bench, but that five brings a great combination of offense and defense and will play extremely smart. Bogut is probably the best defensive team center in the league, Matthews carries a great defensive reputation, Barnes plays D with anyone, and Williams, when healthy, does fine. They cover Nowitzki's defensive shortcomings fine.

Offensively, Dirk is Dirk, Matthews is fine, Williams, is fine, and Barnes should improve greatly with a higher usage rate.

Problems with the team is that it is very thin and relies on second year guys to back up everyone. Bogut gets hurt every year, Matthews is a year off Achilles, and Williams is always hurt. Still if those 5 are healthy come playoff time and can give 30 minutes each, no one will be happy to face the Mavs.

Call me a troll if you want, but this team is WAY better than last year and Barnes is a much better player than Abercrombie for the same money. No splash free agents but this was a great offseason.
Ulrich
You switched which third tier small forward is getting max money and upgraded at C. Unless Barnes has a breakout season offensively, it looks like the Mavs are treading water.
Ag Natural
AG
That Parsons signing was dumb when it happened and I always figured Cuban made the offer thinking Houston would match and cripple their own cap.

Now I'm thinking he did the same with Barnes. Unfortunaly, they got burned again when GSW didn't match.

The good news is Barnes is a better overall player. Getting Memphis to take Parsons was a theft. So I agree there. Getting Williams to sign a one year deal was smart. My only head scratcher is letting Zaza go sign with GSW for cheap. Why not keep him?
PatAg
AG
I think parsons is a good player, but he isnt going to be one of the 2 best on your team. And he has been hurt A LOT
mAgnoliAg
AG
mavsfan4ever
AG
quote:
Hitzkis and Donovon

Now I know you are trolling. If not, this is pretty funny.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.