I don't think the Durant signing was very smart by the Warriors or by Durant

4,878 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by cdhaggie07
Head Ninja In Charge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Durant signed a 1 year deal with a 1 year option. I'm sure if he doesn't have an injury this season he'll opt out and demand the new max after the increase. Golden State will no doubt pay whatever they need to keep them together, but dang that is going to get expensive.
Technically, he hasn't signed yet. He could pull a DeAndre/Mavericks move. It would be the most incredible thing ever.
Sixers_Fan
AG
they have to offload salary too and a few GMs have already been quoted as saying they aren't helping
Token
AG
quote:
they have to offload salary too and a few GMs have already been quoted as saying they aren't helping
the got rid of bogut, which was the biggest issue.
Sixers_Fan
AG
oh wow that slipped by me
amercer
AG
The Cavs got thin (and older) and had to go with a trash bench to get Love.

Durant is a bazillion times better than Love.
cdhaggie07
AG
quote:
quote:
With 4 maxes and other assorted contracts, you are looking at a 60-80mm luxury tax payment per season. Not sure any team is going to accept that as an ongoing thing every single year. That's a ton of money to lose. Don't think any teams are nine figures in the black.
The Cleveland Cavs just paid a $54 million luxury tax hit for exceeding the cap limits to win that championship last year, and they probably feel it was worth every penny.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/nba-cleveland-cavaliers-cop-us54-million-luxury-tax-for-exceeding-salary-cap-limits-according-to-report/news-story/badb45233385763f6ad2a3b1a655a563

I think posters hoping the GSW 'Fab Four' of Curry/Green/Thompson/Durant won't be kept together because of salary cap issues are off base. First, I thought I read that the salary cap is supposed to go up a lot yet again next season? Second, definitely the media has been saying that GSW is going to pay whatever luxury tax hit is necessary to keep those 4 guys. They are the 'Greatest Show On Earth' right now and apparently rolling in money.

Yeah, the NBA is projecting the tax threshold to be $122MM for '17-'18. The warriors are not going to be hit with anything close to a $60MM tax bill. At least not for 2 more years. Who knows where the cap or tax line will go 4 or 5 years from now, that's where it could possibly bite them.

Their big 4 will cost about $95MM after KD and steph re-up. Say they go $14MM above the line. That leaves them $41MM to fill 11 spots. It's probably safe to assume about 7 of those 11 will be a combo of cheap young players on rookie deals or minimum veterans which would take up about $10MM tops. So they would still have $31MM for about 4 spots left, say the taxpayer MLE ($3.6MM), and $27.4MM for re-sining their own FA's (say something like $3M for a marginal player, $8MM for a player of a Livingston caliber, and $16MM for someone like Iggy).

A $136MM payroll in '17-'18 would hit the Warriors with about a $26.3MM tax bill, which is only about $11.5MM more than their tax bill from this past year. The luxury tax and team payroll will not force them to break up their core until probably around 2020 at the earliest, they've got a 3-4 year window with this new core where they'll be title favorites every year. The heat super team won 2 titles and went to 4 finals in 4 years. That's about what you can expect from these guys, except I could see them winning 3 of the next 4 titles.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.