ESPN Article on Sam Hinkie

1,331 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mavsfan4ever
Deputy Travis Junior
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is an interesting look at Phili's tank & trade for assets strategy under Hinkie, which, just months after Hinkie's (probably forced) resignation, is looking like it's going to pay off.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16597961/sam-hinkie-just-win-tale-process-ultimate-fall

I thought these were the best parts:
quote:
Says one Western Conference GM: "I really believe what Hinkie did was break something down masterfully. People say you can just tank and get picks. Sam did so much more. His deals brought multiple picks back every time. I never saw someone do more deals with more moving parts in such a short amount of time."

To wit: Hinkie pillaged Sacramento last July by taking on the contracts of Carl Landry and Jason Thompson to acquire Nik Stauskas along with a 2018 first-round pick and the right to swap first-rounders in 2016 or 2017.

In 2015, he flipped former rookie of the year (and current marginal starter) Michael Carter-Williams for the rights to a future Lakers first-round pick. During the 2014 draft, Hinkie picked Elfrid Payton 10th, getting a player Orlando wanted, then negotiated a trade with the Magic that netted the Sixers No. 12 pick Saric, a second-rounder and a conditional future first -- all to move back just two spots.

quote:
Now consider this: The Lakers won 17 games this season, and their prized rookie, D'Angelo Russell, secretly filmed a conversation in which he asked teammate Nick Young about being with women other than his then-fiance, Iggy Azalea. Yet no one blamed that incident on the organization's culture the way Okafor's troubles were linked to The Process.

Consider too: The Kings haven't finished with a .500 record since 2005-06 and just hired their sixth coach in five years. In neither case did the NBA force a regime change.

By stepping in and facilitating the Jerry Colangelo move in Philadelphia, then, Silver sent a message: Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not.

quote:
He talked culture and psychology -- two qualities, conventional wisdom held, that he ignored in favor of metrics. He noted that the Sixers were so heavily invested in player development that they taught players how to communicate with referees (among the lessons: Don't call them "ref"; address them by name), going so far as to fasten posters displaying every official's name and photo on the doors of the bathroom stalls at their practice facility. "What else are you doing in there?" Hinkie jokes now

Anyway, a good article that's fascinating for anyone who's interested in the back office half of a basketball team.
chris1515
AG
I read Hinkies farewell letter.

He dropped so many names in there it was sickening.

Although, the fact that he even knew who Seth Klarman was impressed me. Same with Charlie Munger.

He might have figured his next NBA employer would likely be some private equity/hedge fund billionaire, so those names might endear him to that crowd.
Token
AG
that article really showed me how clueless he really was. Deadspin did a great job showing that
mavsfan4ever
AG
He was far from clueless. He dominated every trade he made, absolutely dominated them. And his process was fine. The 76ers are in a much better spot moving forward now than they would have been if someone like colangelo had been their gm. It takes patience to do his plan. They just got tired of it after 3 years and fired him. Now I'm sure colangelo will undeservedly get the credit when they improve.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.