Doris Burke not a fan of Pop

7,049 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by HTownAg
LawHall88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not sure what to make of this. I think she is being over-sensitive, but I doubt anybody calls her on it.

quote:
Burke told the New Yorker that she's no longer willing to give Gregg Popovich a pass for his terse in-game interviews.

Of course, Burke isn't alone. Popovich has shared his wrath over the years with many interviewers. His terse in-game interviews and combative behavior in press conferences has made him among the least favorite coaches among NBA media members.

Burke felt Popovich's wrath when he provide one-word responses to her questions during the 2014 NBA Finals as he repeated "turnovers" for his answer.

"I was literally on the verge of tears," Burke told New York Magazine. "And my take on that Popovich situation has changed. We all used to give him a pass because he would say to us privately, 'Well, I just can't help myself. I'm in the game, and this is my job.'

"But I don't give him a pass anymore. It now frustrates me to the point where I want to say, 'I'm not giving you a pass because I've seen you when Jeff Van Gundy walks over there, and the interaction is totally different.'"

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Doris-Burke-claims-that-Pop-s-sideline-behavior-7965774.php
Enzo The Baker
AG
The NBA needs to just get rid of these interviews in general. It's not like the coaches ever give any great insight (that isn't obvious) anyways.

And Pop treats JVG differently because JVG doesn't take it seriously either, which is why their chemistry is so great.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Also if anything, Pop gives his most detailed answers to women reporters. He's less surly with them.
The Collective
AG
The interaction with JVG is different, because he was a colleague, and Pop probably respects him (and they both realize this is bs). Why should he respect Doris Burke or anyone else for wasting his time? Many times these interviews take away from actual timeout time or as the game is re-starting. Can you imagine coming back from a TV timeout and there is Tracy Wolfson with a mic right in Belchick's face?
WES2006AG
AG
I take it those of you that are giving Pop a pass here have no requirements at your job that you don't think are stupid. I agree that these interviews should be done away with but until they are he should at least try to not act like an ******* when a reporter is just trying to do their job.
The Collective
AG
quote:
I take it those of you that are giving Pop a pass here have no requirements at your job that you don't think are stupid. I agree that these interviews should be done away with but until they are he should at least try to not act like an ******* when a reporter is just trying to do their job.

Sure, there is dumb **** at my job, but I can be fired for not doing it. What will happen to him?
TheMasterplan
JVG is a coach so Pop respects him. Doris Burke is a reporter with no playing or coaching experience.

Obi Wan Ginobili
Doris Burke is just looking for some attention. Her entire existence is to interview and write/talk about the accomplishments of other people. When she coaches her way to 5 championships, she can call out every single person in the basketball community. Until then, who gives a **** what she thinks? Her opinion on the matters about as much as mine.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Ugly lesbian
Why is she even on tv?
West Texan
AG
So what exactly is Burke going to do?
Brock Sampson
AG
She's terrible
The Collective
AG
I have to admit, it'd make the interview 100x more compelling if she did cry though.
CactusThomas
AG
Doris Biaw is a fan.
Sher Thing
AG
Boohoo.. Pop treats Van Gundy nicer than me. I have nothing intelligent to say so I'll play the victim.
dave99ag
AG
Maybe she should call him out during a timeout next season. Let's see how well that goes for her.
bayouaggie
AG
Next time Pop does an interview with Doris, he should look serious and mouth a bunch of words to make it look like hes talking but not make any noise. Everyone in the studio will think the sound is broken.
MGS
"Well, Doris, I just don't think we're doing a good job covering their receivers, I will probably move Tim to first base and see how that goes. We need to watch our penalties, we can't afford to give up any more power play goals."
West Texan
AG
Pop should give her a legitimate answer... In one of the multiple foreign languages he speaks.
PatAg
AG
"Hey coach, looks like they are putting more balls in the hoop thing than your team. Any ideas how you can get some more score points in to win the match?"

"I'm just here so I don't get fined"
Ag Natural
AG
Doris has told that story a few times. The fact that she felt her entire reputation was based on her "performance" during a 30 second interview is disturbing to me. I can assure you that Pop's treatment of her has had zero bearing on her career. To the contrary, in an interview I heard with her she gave Pop a lot of credit for advancing her status because he gave some off camera kudos and encouragement.

So I see both sides of this. One side, Pop hates the interviews and it's an open protest to the league and networks that he's annoyed by them. The other side, he should have a little more empathy for the "reporter" given the task of doing the interview. Some reporters don't take themselves too seriously and roll with Pop comfortably. Others, like Doris, act like it's the Evening News and they are interviewing the President. She's wound so tight there is pretty much no way to come of it feeling good about herself.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Nobody should lend Doris Burke any credence with respect to her sideline reporting grievances after her exchange with Kevin Durant. I'm not especially religious, but she was complete trash with her reaction.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
Nobody should lend Doris Burke any credence with respect to her sideline reporting grievances after her exchange with Kevin Durant. I'm not especially religious, but she was complete trash with her reaction.

Story on this?
SilverTongueDevil
People seem to want to jump to the defense of guys like Popovich and Marshawn Lynch for their disdain for media obligations. Part of the reason these guys get paid the way do is because of TV $$$. That's why the league and network negotiate what is required by the coaches and players. It's part of the deal and a relatively small part of their job.

Popovich and Lynch choose to be a d!@# about it. So be it. If you are winning you can get away with it and its obvious by the responses on here the behavior will be defended.

I've heard great things about how good of a person Popovich is off the court and I'm sure that's true. But IMO this just makes him look bad. It really doesn't cost anything just to be nice to people, a reporter in this case.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
People seem to want to jump to the defense of guys like Popovich and Marshawn Lynch for their disdain for media obligations. Part of the reason these guys get paid the way do is because of TV $$$. That's why the league and network negotiate what is required by the coaches and players. It's part of the deal and a relatively small part of their job.

Popovich and Lynch choose to be a d!@# about it. So be it. If you are winning you can get away with it and its obvious by the responses on here the behavior will be defended.

I've heard great things about how good of a person Popovich is off the court and I'm sure that's true. But IMO this just makes him look bad. It really doesn't cost anything just to be nice to people, a reporter in this case.
I've come around myself on Pop. His behavior is not consistent with what he preaches. He goes on and on about open and honest communication, empathy for coworkers and a general attitude of inclusion, sharing and valuing others. Then, in this one instance of his job, he completely fails at it. He doesn't like the duty and he doesn't give a damn if somebody else does. A lot of other coaches don't like it either but they are at least nice about it. It really is bizarre to the point where I can't help but think there is some back story that none of us know.
TheMasterplan
quote:
quote:

Story on this?
Just googled it.

Really hard to say that's disrespectful by her...maybe just surprised by his answer.
Ag Natural
AG
I'm no fan of Doris, I think she's wound too tight. But getting offended by her response to Durant is about as petty as you can get. Its also very un-christian, ironically.
RebAg13
AG
It doesn't bother me but I wouldn't say it's a professional response if she is wanting to get treated so seriously
Diet Cokehead
AG
You're Doris Burke, Doris Burke. STFU.
CSheen18
AG
Doris the Boris looks like a troll. I wouldn't want to talk to her either
True Anomaly
AG
Doris Burke is a fat person's name. When you sound it out, you even feel fat just saying it
12f Mane
AG
Anyone else get instantly agitated by the way she holds the mic?
WES2006AG
AG
quote:
Anyone else get instantly agitated by the way she holds the mic?

Nope, just you.
Ulrich
Doris Burke hasn't figured out that she's only there to fill in dead time. During the post game of game 7 she looked really pissed off that people were yelling/hugging/celebrating instead of participating in an orderly hard hitting interview.

You're not winning any pulitzers, just enjoy the best seats in the house every game and have fun with some meaningless coach speak, that's all anyone wants. Why do you think everyone loves Craig Sager?
Brock Sampson
AG
Was watching the game with some non basketball fans, and they couldn't believe how terrible she was. Her voice is ridiculous, and she is just awkward in general.
Matsui
AG
Her fake voice and stern attitude is terrible.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.