If Lebron gets #3 this year?

10,517 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Guitarsoup
Look Out Below
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Might want to consult the stats on debating who was/is the better rebounder between Magic & LJ. It's extremely close (and you have to remember he played PG practically all his career; it's not the easiest to grab boards when you are usually guarding guys out on the perimeter). Magic was the better shooter as well, shooting over 50% both in season and in the playoffs. He wasn't great from three but he didn't need to be (and the line was further back in those days too).

The biggest difference where I think Magic has the edge though is knowing when to pass and when to shoot. Magic was as good at that as anyone that ever played and, based on watching LJ this last series, he still has issues at times knowing when to look for his shot and when to get his teammates involved.

I will say that LeBron will end up the better player in the history books simply because of longevity and durability. He's already played more legitimate seasons than Magic. He'll probably take down Kareem's scoring record. His ability to be an impact player immediately while everyone else he's compared to went to college for at least a few seasons (and his history of hardly being injured) will make his career numbers when he retires be second to none.
ATM9000
AG
quote:
He wasn't great from three but he didn't need to be (and the line was further back in those days too.

Wrong.
Look Out Below
AG
I didn't realize they reverted it back to the original distance. My mistake.
Guitarsoup
AG
The thing Bron has over Magic is his defense. LeBron is a significantly better defender than Magic.

Hard to knock Magic for not being a great three point shooter because threes weren't emphasized at all on the 80s game. In the 1985 Lakers playoff run, only three players averaged over 0.5 3pa per game and no one averaged over 1.5.
SA Ag
He now "top dog"..
Post removed:
by user
letters at random
quote:
I'm a Jordan hater, and Lebron sympathizer, and still think this is an argument absurdly in Jordan's favor. As for Magic? As GS mentioned, LJ far surpasses Magic defensively. Far. Lebron has a timing for momentum changing defensive plays on a Jordan level, but as mentioned, LJ has not reached Magic's overall feel for the game. LJ really does sit well in the middle of those two. The reasons I take a prime LJ over prime Magic is LJs defense and superhuman physical prowess. Yeah, Magic was a freak physical specimen for his position, but wasn't near the athletic freak of LJ. LJ might literally be the most absurd athlete I've ever seen, and it's not just for dunks and rejections, he uses it well throughout his game. I'll be interested to see how he adapts over the next 3-5 years as age and wear and tear catch up.
I agree. But suppose Lebron gets two or three more rings. (I don't think he will; but suppose he does.) At that point, it's not so obvious anymore.
Bruce Almighty
AG
The problem with these comparisons is you don't know how good Magic would be with today's knowledge of sports science and nutrition.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
The problem with these comparisons is you don't know how good Magic would be with today's knowledge of sports science and nutrition.

Yeah but that goes for the rest of the league now, as well as then.
FrioAg 00
AG
I'm not sure what sports science was doing for LJ at 15, and he already pretty much looked like he was genetically engineered. I think he would have been pretty close to this in 1985 as well.
Post removed:
by user
Bruce Almighty
AG
It's not so much what Lebron would be like then but what Magic would be like today. I think all things being equal, Lebron would be better, but it's not a stretch to say Magic would be a better player if he played today.
Seven Costanza
AG
Thought this was pretty interesting:

FrioAg 00
AG
On one hand, that's pretty compelling the LJ is neck and neck with MJs career to date. Hard to argue with.

On the other hand, if he doesn't win 3 of the next 4 championships then he isn't going to stay on that track. MJs consistency once he reached the top was crazy.

Look Out Below
AG
Where are MJ's years with the Wizards?
PatAg
AG
Lebron isnt playing that long.
Guitarsoup
AG
Kind of Crazy that LeBron won the MVP 4 out of 5 years, then hasn't won in 3 years, despite being in his prime and healthy (played 2400-2900 minutes each of the past three years)
Farmer1906
AG
Should have been 5/5 years. I think he gets taken for granted. He puts up well rounded numbers like no other.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Should have been 5/5 years. I think he gets taken for granted. He puts up well rounded numbers like no other.
I don't have a problem with Rose winning in 2011. The Heatles were expected to dominate the league completely and Rose led the Bulls to the best record in the NBA.
Farmer1906
AG
Statistically Lebron was clearly superior in the regular season. Then, while unrelated to the MVP, Lebron dominated him in the postseason.
BBQ4Me
AG
Again, way too much value is placed on rings.

GS is going to have a super team next year, making it highly unlikely that LeBron wins a title next year. Does that make LeBron less of a player? No.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Next year's MVP race will be interesting. Now that GSW has to spread the wealth, it really opens the field up for players like Lebron, Kawhi and Westbrook.
Farmer1906
AG
Westbrook is going to run away with it.
Iowaggie
AG
I'd be curious to know how many times a guy won the MVP who wasn't on one of the top 3-4 teams in wins, or at least when the last time was that happened.

That means: GSW, CLE, and SAS for next year, again.

GSW split vote, and LeBron receives MVP.
Farmer1906
AG
But okc will still be solid.
Guitarsoup
AG
I don't think OKC wins over 55 games.

Wins by MVP team:
57 (on pace for in strike shortened season)
61 (on pace for, strike season)

So past twenty years. Least wins were Nash with 54 (and he never should have won) and Iverson with 56 (probably should have gone to Shaq or Duncan.)

If Russ doesn't get 55 wins, he damn sure better get a triple double average.
Farmer1906
AG

Saw this on Reddit.

quote:
W/O KD
61 games
34.9 MPG
28.0 PPG
7.1 RPG
8.4 APG
4.7 TO
9.4 FG
22.5 FGA
41.9 FG%

The only year that comes to mind that would be similar in recent history is Lebron in 2009-10. Have averaged 29.7 - 7.3 - 8.6, but obviously he did it more efficiently.
dave94
AG
But is there anyway Westbrook could keep that up for a whole season? Fatigue will surely be a factor without KD for 82 games.
hph6203
AG
Even if he does manage that stat line for an entire season it isn't better than what Lebron will put up.
Guitarsoup
AG
I think Westbrook is going to win the scoring title with 10+ assists and 7-8 rebounds/game. But OKC will be a 48-54 win team.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
I think Westbrook is going to win the scoring title with 10+ assists and 7-8 rebounds/game. But OKC will be a 48-54 win team.
Sounds about right. 10+ assists may be pushing it. It'll be close.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:
Sounds about right. 10+ assists may be pushing it. It'll be close.
Had 10.8 last year. I think he will ball hog a ton, but defenses will collapse on him so guys like Adams will get a lot of easy looks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.