****Official Dallas Mavericks 2016 off-season thread; aka, "Dirk plus 4 hamsters"****

14,452 Views | 151 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by fightinags2013
True Anomaly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Might as well embrace the early exit and go forward

Under contract for next year:
Matthews
Parsons (player option for next year)
Dirk
Devin
Barea
D-Will (player option for next year)
Simba
Mejri
Jeremy Evans (hey, remember him????)
Javale McGee

Free agents:
Zaza
Felton
D-Lee
Villanueva
Dwight Powell

I think Parsons will opt out and re-sign for a max deal with them, despite him not being able to finish the past two seasons due to injury

Wouldn't be surprised to see D-Will pick up his player option, and wait until the giant jump in cap space the next postseason while trying to improve his play and stay healthy this next season

Of the free agents, also wouldn't be surprised to see them sign Zaza at a lower rate for a strictly bench role- he fell off the face of the earth production-wise because he played way more minutes than he ever had during his career. D-Lee would've been a no-brainer had he not injured his foot, but a couple more years out of him would be fine. Felton would be risky as I suspect he's a "contract year" player. And they really seem to like Powell, and resigning him to a slightly higher rate wouldn't hurt

So goodbye, Charlie V. Hate to say Durant was right, but he's likely watching the next season on TV at home
Texas Ag 15
AG
Saw the CBS sports article that says that Parsons is already trying to convince Dwight to come to Dallas. With Carlisle's reputation for no nonsense, it would be interesting to see how that relationship played out.
R0GUE
AG
I'm a little worried about it being Odom/Rondo 3.0. Carlisle is a great coach, but he doesn't get along well with players who don't give their all.

I guess Cuban kind of took us out of the Durant sweepstakes huh? lol
Guitarsoup
AG
I think Whiteside is going to be fools gold. I don't know that I would want him.

It will be interesting to see how Dallas approaches this off-season. Dirk has made it clear he is staying and Parsons seems to be saying that as well. I hope they can make some additions to get back to the 60-win level they used to be at.

Question: Would you go after Blake Griffin if LA decides to blow it up after 5 years of Blake/Paul/DJ with no WCF appearances?
Texas Ag 15
AG
I think you would have to.. With no bonafide superstar other than Dirk I would argue that Blake Griffin would immediately become the second superstar.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
I think you would have to.. With no bonafide superstar other than Dirk I would argue that Blake Griffin would immediately become the second superstar.
And Wes+Chandler would be pretty great 3rd/4th options.
Texas Ag 15
AG
The more I think about it I think that could be a really good lineup. You have Blake terrorizing with his athleticism and then shooters surrounding him. Plus you have the defensive guys of Anderson and Powell off the bench. I know it's a pipe dream, but I like that lineup
Guitarsoup
AG
Yeah, not sure would what Dallas would have to give up to get Blake, though.
R0GUE
AG
If we trade for Griffin do we still have to worry about Doc stalking him until agrees to a trade back?
True Anomaly
AG
quote:
Yeah, not sure would what Dallas would have to give up to get Blake, though.

They certainly will have the caproom

I'd still rather someone who's free already though, and Horford would be my preference
Guitarsoup
AG
Parsons said Dwight is definitely leaving Houston and that he is going to recruit him for Dallas.

True Anomaly
AG
quote:
Parsons said Dwight is definitely leaving Houston and that he is going to recruit him for Dallas.

So many mixed feelings on this. Agree with you that it'll probably be a one-year Rondo type "image revamp" deal.

How funny that D-Will and Howard were once the prize free agency targets of the Mavs years ago
jeffdjohnson
So the Mavs may end up with their "big fish" targets after all.

1 - Derron Williams
2 - Wesley Mathews
3 - Chandler Parsons
4 - Dirk Nowitzki
5 - Dwight Howard

If anyone has a spare time machine laying around please contact one Mark Cuban.
True Anomaly
AG
quote:
So the Mavs may end up with their "big fish" targets after all.

1 - Derron Williams
2 - Wesley Mathews
3 - Chandler Parsons
4 - Dirk Nowitzki
5 - Dwight Howard

Not a bad lineup if all are healthy and all are willing to play hard
Guitarsoup
AG
Justin Anderson assessed a Flagrant 2 for doing what we all wanted to do - hitting Westbrook in the face.

https://streamable.com/0cfe
True Anomaly
AG
quote:
Justin Anderson assessed a Flagrant 2 for doing what we all wanted to do - hitting Westbrook in the face.

https://streamable.com/0cfe

Young blood learnin' old school enforcing
Andy07
AG
Griffin seems like a poor fit, not exactly the rim protector needed to pair with Dirk
TexagChris17
AG
That is a solid starting lineup
94chem
quote:
1 - Derron Williams
2 - Wesley Mathews
3 - Chandler Parsons
4 - Dirk Nowitzki
5 - Dwight Howard

Looks like one of those late 90's Rockets squads or one of those re-built paper tigers from the Lakers.
PatAg
AG
I think Parsons is a good player, is good enough to probably be the #2 player on a champ team and definitely #3...but I kinda wish he would just go to another team. I'm not convinced he and Dirk can coexist very well...although there was about a half month stretch before the ill-fated Rondo trade where we were just ****ting on everyone and Parsons was playing a kind of point-forward role.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I'm on board with keeping parsons just because there is no one better out there that we can get. We definitely aren't tanking before Dirk retires, so I feel like we might as well sign parsons and hopefully a good center like whiteside or horford.
fightinags2013
AG
If it were a strict player to player choice between Noah/Horford, i'd want Horford. That being said, if Dirk is gonna be around for a few more years (which seems likely) then Noah is the way to go. He pairs up with Dirk much more, as a solid rim protector.

On another note, I went back and watched my 2011 Championship DVD, and i'm still blown away by...

1.) How deep that team was and how great Carlisle was at plugging guys in at the right times. I remember thinking they were going to go nowhere when Caron Butler went down. That we made that run without our second leading scorer (at the time of the injury) is a testament to how great Carlisle is.
2.) Dirk vs OKC... that was simply a legendary series with a host of unbelievable shots. I bet Collison/Ibaka still have nightmares (never mind they just kicked our butt a few weeks ago )
3.) Dirk in the 4th quarter vs Miami. His numbers from the series overall were not great by his standards... but he came up clutch when it mattered most.
4.) I miss Tyson Chandler =(
mavsfan4ever
AG
Your Noah/Horford opinion may have been true 5 years ago, but Noah is a shell of his former self (and has been for the last two years). DO NOT WANT. He will be getting nowhere near the money that Horford gets, so I guess you may be able to get him for semi cheap. But I don't want him at any price.
True Anomaly
AG
Iowaggie
AG
D-Will intends to decline his player option, but wants to return to Dallas.
(Not exactly breaking news)
True Anomaly
AG
Dirk just said on the Ticket that he indeed opted out of the final year of his contract in order to reorganize the rest of the team's financial picture to get more help, and that he all but said he's staying in Dallas for sure
R0GUE
AG
He'll probably end up making more $ since the cap is going up.
PatAg
AG
quote:

don't care what that tard parsons does, Jordan still gets booed.
True Anomaly
AG
Oh believe me, I'm not saying we should all just forgive Jordan and move on
J.P. 03
AG
You boys pumped for the draft or what?!?
J.P. 03
AG
Oh.
R0GUE
AG

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-warriors-want-to-sign-dirk-nowitzki-in-free-agency/?linkId=25745925

Really Golden State? Really?
mavsfan4ever
AG
This is going to be bad.

Conley and whiteside one time!!!!
mavsfan4ever
AG
This is going to be bad.

Conley and whiteside one time!!!!
jeffdjohnson
This feels like the end of the line. The last 4 years the Mavs have lost their "big fish" but recovered enough to salvage a workable roster. In the end I just don't see the Whiteside / Conley pipe dream coming true. If it doesn't then I'm not sure where the Mavs can pivot in order to stay in the playoff picture next year.

The obvious thing to do is tank into a top 5 draft pick for a couple of years. But that means no more Dirk and Carslisle. Maybe they should just max out Dirk for 2 years, fill up the team with spare veterans and stealth tank. It keeps Dirk in the Mavs organization and pays him back for his generosity. Of course Carslisle would probably find a way win 35 games anyways. There are just no good choices for the Mavs if they strike out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.