*****Official 2014-2015 Memphis Grizzlies Thread*****

170,264 Views | 1179 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Iowaggie
Iowaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Vince Carter ejected after picking up two T's for pointing out some bad officiating to ref Mark Stafford.

Carter was on bench whole time.
4stringAg
AG
I guess Cleveland is just a bad matchup for this Grizz team so in the event we're thinking NBA Finals, it could very well be a sweep if this matchup occurs... Not enough firepower to keep up with them and they have a decent presence inside with Mosgov, Love can take Randolph outside, Irving is a big time talent, King James, and then a bunch of guys who can get hot and shoot from the arc. Its not a team like Golden State who has the shooters but the Grizz have handled them inside.

Grizz still deficient in consistent outside scoring to complement the big guys inside.

Getting run out of the ****ing arena now down by 28 after the Cavs have made 10 straight shots.
Iowaggie
AG
With the Rockets playing the T'Wolves Friday when the Grizzlies play the Warriors, that 2nd place lead could be at .5 games.
Chipotlemonger
AG
So you're basically saying the Grizz would've had no chance against any of the Heat squads these past few years?
4stringAg
AG
quote:
So you're basically saying the Grizz would've had no chance against any of the Heat squads these past few years?
Not no chance, but they wouldn't have won a seven game series with those Heat teams. Don't get me wrong, the Grizz have a very good team this year and some good teams in the past few seasons, but they always seem to be missing a component or two to advance to the championship level. Typically its been the lack of a consistent outside scoring threat to complement their bigs inside, also guys that can create their own shot, and finally lack of firepower in the second unit.

I think they've addressed some of the outside scoring and they are better in their second unit but still seem to lack a guy on the outside that is consistent night in and night out. They have more guys that can hit the outside 3 ball but none of them are consistently reliable.
Iowaggie
AG
Against the Cavs, they were missing at point blank range, and by they I mean Tony Allen. His shot chart from the Cavs game would be laughable, if I weren't a fan (see link, select T. Allen). He made his 1 3-point attempt, and was 2 of 10 from within 3 feet of the basket. He's as smart as there is offensively at finding holes in the defense once guys turn their backs, and if makes those shots in the first 3 quarters, the game never gets away from the Grizzlies. But I'm not sure why Zach wasn't doing more. I think he was overwhelmed at which player, Kendrick Perkins or Kevin Love, he hates more and couldn't focus.

And Jeff Green and C. Lee make Rudy Gay look like Mr. Consistency.

I'm also wondering if it is no coincidence that the two biggest blowouts this season have been when Gasol faced the Mozgov (once with Denver, once Wednesday). Maybe there is some Spain-Russia thing going on.

Iowaggie
AG
quote:

Forgot to answer this. I wouldn't say no chance because they could take them inside and beat down Birdman and Bosh and whatever post players the Heat had. Love and Mozgove are much better.

When Love is engaged and Kyrie makes baskets, teams aren't going to beat the Cavs unless they can outscore them, like the Warriors. Possibly the Spurs on a good shooting night. Grizzlies lose games if they have to consistently get to 100.

4stringAg
AG
quote:
Against the Cavs, they were missing at point blank range, and by they I mean Tony Allen
No kidding. It was epidemic the other night. Counting Allen's misses, I think I heard they missed 19 point blank shots the other night.

And tonight has started similarly. Several missed shots at the rim.

Seems like Allen's problem is looking for contact rather than concentrating on the rim.

Right now, Grizz cut an early GS lead down to 1 but GS have extended it back to 6. Grizzlies need to do a better job of just playing straight up D against the Warriors and stop trying to help. They are leaving Curry and Thompson with some open looks because they can't stay attached to them.
4stringAg
AG
Not a great first half for the Grizz but only down 5 at half.

54-49

Randolph having a pretty woeful half so far.
Ganondorf
AG
Down 5 after being down double digits is a win for the half.
4stringAg
AG
Lead back to 10 in the 3rd. Warriors outscoring the Grizz 30-6 from the 3 point line.

This is the theme in most of the Grizzlies losses this year: giving up big points from 3 on defense and being anemic from 3 on offense.

And Tony Allen went to the bench during that timeout clutching his hamstring...
4stringAg
AG
Smattering of boos in the crowd now after Curry is just eating the Grizz lunch.

Good teams or not, last game and so far in this game are embarrassments to the franchise getting blasted at home in back to back games.
4stringAg
AG
Grizz tried to make it interesting in the 4th but GSW put Curry back in and the lead goes back to 20.

Curry kicks out to the side on a 3 point try, kicks Mike Conley in the shin and Conley comes up limping, and Curry is rewarded with 3 FTs.
Iowaggie
AG
How could am unbiased official make that call on the curry leg kick? It could have been used as the textbook case.

Grizz struggle to score too often.
4stringAg
AG
Final 107 - 84. Rockets look like they will win so only a half game separates 2nd place in the West.

2nd straight 20+ point blowout at home. Disappointing and embarrassing effort after that horrific game vs Cleveland.
Iowaggie
AG
It's almost time to sit zach if he is going to struggle do much. I know he isn't an athletic big, but he had been ineffective lately.

Maybe grizzlies are trying to make the rest of the league overconfident? Throwback to the 2007/08 season.
Iowaggie
AG
And Spurs on Sunday now.

tbirdspur2010
AG
quote:
And Spurs on Sunday now.

oh no, I'm never overlooking y'all ever again lol
Gigem Trevas
quote:
quote:
And Spurs on Sunday now.

oh no, I'm never overlooking y'all ever again lol
Gigem Trevas
Tony Allen out. Feeling another massacre.
Gigem Trevas
Watching Mania instead of the game.
Iowaggie
AG
you're missing brick a mania from the Grizz starters.

Besides Zach, starters, which include Vince, are 4-19, and they still have their famous 3rd quarter collapse still to come.
GarryowenAg
AG
GSG!!!
Iowaggie
AG
Down to 10 with about 4 minutes left.

IT feels like this game has never been close, the only time the Grizzlies stop Kawhi is if he doesn't get the ball.
Gigem Trevas
4stringAg
AG
Team played with more effort tonight but still allowed SA to go off at the beginning of the first quarter (making their first 9 shots) and in the 4th with Leonard going bonkers.

The defense on this Grizz team (particularly 3 point defense (although that wasn't that much a factor tonight) is not good compared to what they've had in the past and the offense is still woefully inconsistent for long stretches during the game.

And they just don't have that guy they can count on for 25 a night. They have to do it with their own big 3 and lately its just been one or two of Gasol, Randolph, Conley getting it done while the other one or two seemingly doesn't show up.
Iowaggie
AG
Either this team is slowing down again or just not sharing the ball as much.

Peter Edmiston @peteredmiston
Just for the hell of it, I tabulated Griz passes per game over the last 3 months-Jan: 307
Feb: 314
Mar: 290
Last 3 gms: 280
Tonight: 274
Gigem Trevas
Game Memphis.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wow, that Houston #2 seed didn't last long huh?
Iowaggie
AG
The Clippers are sneaking back into the discussion for the 2/3 seed, and only sit 1 game behind Houston.

The team looked better tonight, but that could completely be because Cousins and Collison didn't play, and Gasol gave Gay a concussion in the 2nd half.

But still, a win is worth celebrating.

tbirdspur2010
Gigem Trevas
Pour one out guys.
Iowaggie
AG
Is that a real retirement, or a Ric Flair type of retirement?

Iowaggie
AG
Grizzlies take the halftime lead by 6.
Shooting 3 of 14 from 3-pt. Started off about 0-9

Tony Allen still out with hamstring.

Zach needs to get his ass his in gear and have a better April than March, or the playoffs will last about 5 games. Averaged 13.8 rebounds in January, 9.9 in February, and 7.2 in March
Gigem Trevas
quote:
Is that a real retirement, or a Ric Flair type of retirement?

I think it's real. If so, she is probably pregnant.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.