2014-15 5(x) Champion San Antonio Spurs - Title Defense Thread.

352,702 Views | 4050 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by rms007
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I'm in playoff mode now. Once they turn it on so do I.
AGnNoCo
AG
Getting some rest too
BlackGold
AG
quote:
I'm in playoff mode now. Once they turn it on so do I.

I respect you bro.
phatpat21
Patty just needs to relax and not force anything which is what I feel he is doing. I really really hope he can find his rhythm come playoff time because when he is making shots the Spurs are winning games
agwin12
AG
Fortunate with that foul. Need to keep the heat on the heat here.
"A life lived for others is a life worthwhile" - Albert Einstein
phatpat21
DP
phatpat21
This game is getting a little to close for my personal preference
10 point game 3:32 left
agwin12
AG
Well, here we go. Need to find a way to score.
Knife_Party
Pop was trying to make that unit stop the bleeding. They did bad.
phatpat21
Cojo wants playing time
agwin12
AG
Better now.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Cojo has looked great. Tony looking good. Boris looking good.
Knife_Party
He's played better than Patty this season. He deserves it. All that stops if Patty's jumpers start falling.
jteagle
AG
Kawhi 22 pts 9 boards 4 steals 2 blocks 3 assists
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Freaking ridiculous.
jteagle
AG
Another important stat.
Duncan 24 minutes
Parker 26
Splitter 23
Green 15
Diaw 25
Guitarsoup
AG
Tony Parker has the record for most career wins at 1,000 games.
Sher Thing
AG
Spurs' during last 17 games:

Offense: 112.1 PP/100 (1st in NBA)
Defense: 97.7 PP/100 (3rd)
Winning by 13.8 PPG (1st)
AgPediRPh
AG
quote:

71.8% winning percentage. Parker averages almost 59 wins each season! That is beyond impressive!
tbirdspur2010
AG
quote:

Rumble, young man, RUMBLE
jteagle
AG
Warriors beat the Clippers in a close one. Spurs are now only a half game back of Clippers and 2 games behind the Rockets. 3 seed is definitely possible. It would be nice to have HCA in at least one series.
Natasha Romanoff
Glad we won last night. Was looking iffy there for a while in the first half.

Patty needs to find his shot. We need his 3-pt shooting.

GSG.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Warriors beat the Clippers in a close one. Spurs are now only a half game back of Clippers and 2 games behind the Rockets. 3 seed is definitely possible. It would be nice to have HCA in at least one series.
Gotta keep winning. That Warriors game on Sunday is looming large.
Sher Thing
AG
Warriors play @DAL on Saturday and @SA on Sunday. Almost positive Kerr rests his guys against the Spurs ala Popovich on Sunday. Would be very surprised if we saw the entire Warriors squad that game.
Sher Thing
AG
quote:
Depends IMO. I think I am in the opinion that I would rather be the 6 seed then the 5 seed with homecourt. Now if we can get up to 2 or 3 then obviously that is preferable but the way Golden State is looking right now, avoiding them until the WCF seems like the smart thing to do.
Sher Thing
AG
quote:
Glad we won last night. Was looking iffy there for a while in the first half.

Patty needs to find his shot. We need his 3-pt shooting.

GSG.
Going to be one of the most interesting things to watch here down the stretch is how Pop handles the backup PG spot. It's obvious if you watch Pop on the sidelines that he is getting very frustrated with Patty and his inability to make shots. He went with Cojo last night and it payed off. When Cory plays defense like he did last night, he makes it a very hard decision on who to go with.

Problem is, Cory has to play at that level defensively in order to compensate for his lack of offense or else I think were better off going with Patty. Cory seems to get complacent at times but when he's locked in defensively like he was last night, he's definitely a handful for the opposition. Him, Leonard, Green out there is a pretty sick defensive backcourt. They were causing all sorts of havoc last night.
Natasha Romanoff
We'll see with CoJo. I like him a lot as a player, mostly because we've been able to see him improve a lot since he got to the league. But I wouldn't be shocked he "checks out" because he knows he would never do better than 3rd string the last two years. Not saying it's an excuse, but I can see that happening. Maybe he'll smell the blood in the water with Patty, realize the playoffs are coming, and stay dialed in.

Backup PG is the only position right now that has me nervous.
Sher Thing
AG
I'm not sure he'll check out considering this is a contract year for him. He's got a lot on the line playing for his next contract, wherever that may be. He has to play with that defensive focus/energy for every minute he's on the court though or else it's just not worth playing him over Patty IMO. He's improved offensively but he's still hesitant to shoot the ball and the defensive still doesn't/isn't going to respect his shot which consequently hurts the spacing and makes it harder on everyone else.

I agree with it's the only position that has me worried as well. We seem to be locked in everywhere else and guys are playing well.
Deputy Travis Junior
In December Joseph averaged 12 . 1 points and 3.5 assists to 1.6 turnovers. He shot 0.545/.500/.744 (granted he took less than 1 3 per game so the middle stat is worthless).

That's not tearing it up on O but it's more than good enough.
Sher Thing
AG
He did play well early in the year. He will have to contribute offensively if he plays though. No way around it. Teams will give him repeated looks and he can't be hesitant to score.

Whether Patty is knocking down shots or not, teams will respect his shot. He's proven and they know what he has done.
Ganondorf
AG
I agree about both players. The thing with Patty is that he plays well with Manu as the latter is the ball handler and he can provide spacing. Cory can't really play with Manu since he doesn't have the long ball and both guys are handlers. In the future when Manu is gone we'll need someone like Cory.

Patty can play with Tony as well but you can't really have Tony and Cory on the floor at the same time as it kills spacing.

Most of the time I just think of Patty as another SG instead of PG.
Sher Thing
AG
I agree but then Cory really doesn't possess that much better PG skills (passing, vision, creating for others, etc) than Patty does. Now were just getting into what would you rather have on the floor, a better shooter or a better defender.

Whoever is consistently getting it done at their specialty skill is the answer, I suppose. There are times, like last night, where Cory is an absolute terror on the defensive side of the ball and there are times where he just isn't making that much of an impact defensively for whatever reason. Then on the other side, there's Patty, who we know can change the game with his three pt shot but who's shot is way off the mark this season. Patty is still hustling defensively but just doesn't have the tools that Cory does.

Problem with Cory is that when he's not making much of an impact defensively, is he really going to be a net positive on the court? I don't want to say the offense is inevitably going to struggle every time he's on the court, but the offense certainly isn't going to be hitting its peak consistently with him out there. His presence alone on the court make's it harder for others to create whereas the defense has no alternative then to get out and guard Patty on the three-pt line. Much like Bonner.

Certainly an interesting battle. Patty made it an easy decision last year but this is a tough one to call this season.
Sher Thing
AG
After virtually not seeing the floor last night, I expect Patty to get at least 15-20 minutes of court time tonight. Really hope he knocks down some shots.
agwin12
AG
quote:
Actually, he has played in, not won, 1,000 games.
Ganondorf
AG
Joseph in early already
First Page Last Page
Page 77 of 116

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.