******BTHO Kentucky******

1,922 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mullokmotx
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Texas A&M Soccer team returns home to face Kentucky tonight at 6:30.

Kentucky is having quite the rough year as well. The Wildcats are 4-7-4 overall and winless in SEC play (0-5-3).

Kentucky has been outscored by opponents by a narrow 26-25 margin this season. They are led in scoring by Tanya Samarzich (#23), who has 7 goals on the season and a team-high 5 assists. Goalkeeper Evangeline Soucie has totalled 64 saves while allowing 26 goals. Kentucky only has 2 shutouts on the year.

Kentucky is coached by Jon Lipsitz, my other favorite SEC coach.

But tonight I hope he loses. Badly.
CDub06
AG
PROMOTIONS!

Senior Night!!
- Arrive early to join us in honoring our five seniors in a special pregame ceremony, highlighted by the Ross Volunteers

Free Scarf!
- First 100 students through the gate receive a limited edition Aggie soccer scarf
CDub06
AG
I am trapped in New Mexico, so I won't be able to attend the game. If someone can snag me a scarf and name a price, I would appreciate it.

Also, I have 2 tickets for each of the last two games. If anyone wants them, let me know.
mullokmotx
AG
We are 3-0-1 against them since we joined the SEC, and they've all been close games. It took a brilliant goal by Ally last year to win. I think we were missing both Emily and Karlie that game. Looks like the wind will be out of the north tonight. Will be looking to see if Grace Piper and Margaret Schmidt are available. Hope the trainers can get a knee brace for Emily that doesn't break during the match like it did last Friday.
CDub06
AG
The senior night ceremony will begin 6:15 pre-game. Be there for these great young ladies.
redd38
AG
Sadly I'm already in Alabama to watch the football team BTHO Bama, so I won't get to watch us BTHO Kentucky. I hope the seniors have a great game.
Expert Analysis
AG
Piper is playing, Schmidt isn't.

I may have acquired a scarf from a student it anyone wants it...
aggietoolman
AG
1-0 UK at half
aggietoolman
AG
1-1 end of regulation. UK goalie knocked out right before time ran out. Backup for overtime.
Aggie Futbol
We are fortunate to be tied at this point. What has happened to our defensive unit lately? Way too many meaningful mistakes that have been costly or potentially costly. Admittedly, playing a three back does expose a team a bit more.

As a team we continue to struggle to possess and control. Too few players with adequate skills to compete at this level. As has been the case for the past 6-7 games, a handful of our players are carrying the full weight of the team. Why some of our girls with marginal skill insist on holding the ball is beyond me. They just give it away.

Pounds, Mahlerbe and Harvey haven't scored but they are working very hard and making a difference on the field.

The good news for the incoming freshman next year is that, if they are half way decent, they will get good playing time. Paulson, Harvey, Pounds, Mahlerbe, Watt, Bates, Hajdu will be called on to lead this team back to the promised land. Every other position will be wide open.

Congratulations to our seniors for their wonderful careers and contributions as Aggie athletes.
aggietoolman
AG
Ags win! Harvey goal
redd38
AG
Glad Harvey scored, she needs to be more involved in the offense.
Rambotx
Aggies Win 2-1 in OT.

Aggie Futbol
Excellent shot by one of game changers, Harvey, to win the game. Good energy and effort by the team in OT. I'm pretty sure that more conference win will get them to the SEC tourney for sure. An upset of Auburn at home or a win in Starkville are the choices. I'm changing my weekend plans to make the Auburn game.
Aggie Futbol
Our win and LSU's last minute loss to Auburn clarifies the picture a bit for A&M. A win gets us through to the SEC tourney.
Penaltykick
A win!

Some much improved performances tonight - and still uneven play on defense. But A WIN!

Not to be lost in the equation, Harvey continues playing on an injured quad and was brutally fouled in the first half, and taken into the locker room for treatment. After a while, she returned to the sideline and had an ice pack on her right shoulder for quite some time. She was back in the game for the entire second half and overtime, but was definitely holding her right arm very carefully. She scored the game winning goal with her left foot.

Malherbe was really good tonight. Pounds was vastly improved - got away some good shots and was connecting passes. Bates played 15-20 minutes and was really laboring/limping.

Extremely scary moment late in regulation when Kentucky's goalkeeper (who was having a fantastic game) was knocked out cold in a collision. She was taken off the field in a cart. Thoughts and prayers for that young lady - hoping she is okay.

Way to battle for the win.
redd38
AG
If LSU and Georgia lose on Sunday then we don't even need another win.
CDub06
AG
redd38 said:

If LSU and Georgia lose on Sunday then we don't even need another win.

So sad that we are even discussing this.
mullokmotx
AG
I thought everyone played hard but we were a little off in the first half with being able to control the ball. Sarah had a pretty efficient 10 minutes of playing time. Maybe she should play more? Seemed like our offensive intensity and play making really improved when Grace Piper moved up. We hit the ball right at the keeper a lot. I think Brittany played the most minutes she has ever played. And how about Dani!
UK twitter is saying their keeper is okay and is traveling with their team to Arkansas.
Love the way we do senior night; wish more people were there.
Expert Analysis
AG
I also thought Piper did a great job as a forward.
Terk
AG
Dubya!
Aggie*_86
AG
I think Piper has a great future here as a real star, love her attitude and toughness. Got into a pushing match on a corner with Senior UK striker and wasn't backing down or taking any crap. Glad we won for the Seniors. Let's go Ags!!!
Aggie*_86
AG
Aggie Futbol said:

We are fortunate to be tied at this point. What has happened to our defensive unit lately? Way too many meaningful mistakes that have been costly or potentially costly. Admittedly, playing a three back does expose a team a bit more.

As a team we continue to struggle to possess and control. Too few players with adequate skills to compete at this level. As has been the case for the past 6-7 games, a handful of our players are carrying the full weight of the team. Why some of our girls with marginal skill insist on holding the ball is beyond me. They just give it away.

Pounds, Mahlerbe and Harvey haven't scored but they are working very hard and making a difference on the field.

The good news for the incoming freshman next year is that, if they are half way decent, they will get good playing time. Paulson, Harvey, Pounds, Mahlerbe, Watt, Bates, Hajdu will be called on to lead this team back to the promised land. Every other position will be wide open.

Congratulations to our seniors for their wonderful careers and contributions as Aggie athletes.
I think you can include Piper in that list...
HiddenAg2
I think the biggest thing that came out of the game last night, except for obviously an exciting win and stopping a losing streak, was that Coach G found something with a new formation that produced quite a bit of offensive attack with effective passing and good scoring opportunities. He played what looked like a quasi 3-1-3-3 with the top box of six that included Crabtree, Piper, and Pounds up top, with Arrieta, Harvey, and Malherbe in the midfield. Piper really did make a huge impact up top and she continues to show her versatility on the field - pretty amazing considering she was a low 3-star prospect and majorly overlooked by recruiting services. Now obviously it was Kentucky, but I think we should stay with this formation and lineup full-time and see if it continues because that was a fun group to watch for the last 20-30 minutes of the match. It does put more pressure on the backline but at this point it's worth the risk mainly because Rice and Paulson are playing out of their minds right now. Actually, the only reason A&M had a chance to win the game was because of a PK save by Rice and a incredible clearance off the goal line by Paulson in the 2nd half. The amazing thing about some of our best players right now is that most of them are playing injured - see Harvey with only 1 arm and couldn't even celebrate her winning goal.
Aggie Futbol
Piper works hard, is a scrapper, has a good attitude and is aggressive in the box. Her actual soccer skills and soccer IQ are average and her speed is below average.
mullokmotx
AG
Sarah showed good instincts on her goal. She cut inside the girl defending her as the ball was coming in.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.