******BTHO Tennessee******

3,950 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by HiddenAg2
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Texas A&M Soccer faces the Tennessee Volunteers tomorrow (Sunday) at 4PM in Knoxville.

The Lady Vols are 8-6 on the season with a 3-3 SEC Record. Tennessee has outscored opponents 24-21.

Tennessee leads the all-time series with A&M 3-1 but this is a down Tennessee team that should offer A&M an opportunity to win, especially if Bates is back on the field manufacturing some offensive opportunities.

Tennessee will have the support of the Regal Rowdies behind them at home as well as their awesome scarves. This football game wore me out. Hopefully this match is decided in a much more timely manner.

Go Aggies.
Penaltykick
Is there some indication that Bates will play today? I hadn't expected to see her on the field again until the SEC Tournament if at all.

mullokmotx
AG
I expect Ashlynn to replace Piper at defensive mid. Our midfield needs to get the ball from kicks by either keeper. Seemed like we got none of those Thursday. We had a bunch of players go the whole way Thursday so G needs to find a way to give some of them a break. If we can get and keep the ball that will help. UT had an rpi of 106 entering the weekend. We have not won in 3 weeks. I think only 4 SEC teams make the tournament but we can put ourselves in the discussion by winning out.
CDub06
AG
I was just trying to be optimistic. There's no guarantee that we'll make the SEC Tournament...

And now Piper is out...
CDub06
AG
EMILY IS IN!
CDub06
AG
The game has been pretty evenly matched so far but it feels like A&M is the aggressor.
CDub06
AG
Scary chances for the Vols. First shot blocked, then a point blank save. Rice has some sick instincts. Her reaction speed is unbelievable.
CDub06
AG
Tennessee just had a cross roll across the face of our goal. Miracle that a Vol didn't get on the end of it.
CDub06
AG
Tennessee has definitely taken the role of aggressor. Wilkinson just slid a ball just wide on an offset 1v1
Penaltykick
Paulson is a warrior. She is holding the entire right side of the defense together. Exciting to see Bates on the field for a few minutes. I would guess the training staff has her on limited minutes, but we will take whatever we can get.
CDub06
AG
Tennessee with non-stop pressure to start the second half. Wilkinson heads a cross in for UT.

0-1
AgsSoccerFan
When kickball becomes an official NCAA sport, our outside backs are set.
CDub06
AG
Free Kick just outside the box upcoming for UT
CDub06
AG
Short ball for some reason. Ags deal with it easily.
CDub06
AG
Wilkinson is a great player. But she's also like 30.
CDub06
AG
Rice with the reeeeach to block a 1v1 shot
CDub06
AG
Texas A&M has earned a corner. This is where we need to score
CDub06
AG
Wasted. Another missed opportunity.
CDub06
AG
9:00 left, Ags pressing without much consequence.
CDub06
AG
2-0 Tennessee.
mullokmotx
AG
Well, that's it as far as the NCAAs. The lineup we played today should be able to score a goal. Now the only question is whether we can get enough points the rest of the season to make the SEC Tournament. Seeing as how we can't score, that is in grave doubt.
Rambotx
Good to see some of the players, like Emily, returning from injuries for this match. Very little Team chemistry working today.
Expert Analysis
AG
First time in a while that I didn't watch at least some of one of our games. Doesn't look like I missed much.
HiddenAg2
There's not a whole lot left to say at this point but the only real drama remaining this season is whether or not we make the SEC tournament. Right now we're safe but a losing skid could definitely put it in danger. It's truly hard to believe but A&M is a poor soccer team right now and may not finish with a winning record. The effort seemed to be there today at times, especially at the beginning and end of the game, but there is little to no chemistry with these current players and possession in the midfield remains a problem. And this is without question the worst offensive attack in program history. It's probably the first time Coach G hasn't had a bona fide striker in his career. Bates returned today for some minutes and she definitely helped the pressure level late in the game, but she is nowhere near 100% and can only do so much. The outside backs continue to struggle and we need a major talent upgrade at those positions. How badly does A&M miss Karlie Mueller about now? Yes, injuries have had a major impact on the team, however, the coaching and lack of fundamentals has been a major issue as well. A&M needs to get back to the basics in the offseason, get much stronger physically, and wait for the reinforcements to arrive in the Summer. There will be no excuses next year with the talent and depth this team will have at its disposal.
Perplexed Ag
Talent vs coaching. G's performance has been mediocre to poor and considering he has the run of Texas for recruiting he seems unable, except for 2014 to reach any level of high performance considering the talent he can get. This program should never have down years and should just reload.

Perhaps it is time for a change in scenery for both G and the program both?
sharpdressedman
It's been a tough year and it may be a real stinker by season's end. Oh, well. Being able to confidently look forward to "next year" is a cherished Aggie tradition.
redd38
AG
Perplexed Ag said:

Talent vs coaching. G's performance has been mediocre to poor and considering he has the run of Texas for recruiting he seems unable, except for 2014 to reach any level of high performance considering the talent he can get. This program should never have down years and should just reload.

Again showing your ignorance. You should probably go back to watching football, soccer seems too perplexing for you.
mullokmotx
AG
Starting with the first Mississippi game last year we have won 11 of our last 23. I never thought our scoring would suffer this much without Ally. But without her we have not played played 3 forwards like we normally have over the years and many games we have only played one, so maybe Hidden is right that we don't have a bona fide striker. Since we can't score goals maybe he is right.
Danielle, Grace, Ashlynn, Sarah and maybe Taylor only have 4 regular season games left in their career. Let's hope they can go out on a good note.
gambochaman
AG
Perplexed Ag said:

I agree with you, but have stopped posting about aggie soccer here because any G detractors basically 'know nothing about soccer and should stick to other sports'
coaching for this team leaves much to be desired..even in the good years

and with that, i will now resume my hiatus of posting about aggie soccer
CDub06
AG
Perplexed Ag said:

One bad year and it's time for a change? I don't know where to start with this...

Perhaps I'll start where you said he's been a poor coach except for 2014. That was two years ago! It's not like it's ancient history. Texas A&M was in the College Cup just two seasons ago. And you're going to discount last season? If we are underachieving this season, you have to admit that we were swinging above our weight class in reaching the Elite Eight last season.

The truth is that we have had ONE bad season in this program's history. This season is awful, but A&M has been to 21 consecutive NCAA Tournaments and we have been spoiled by success. There are only 4 other teams that have gone to 20 consecutive tournaments (UNC, Virginia, Penn State, Notre Dame).

The vast majority of teams have down years from time to time. UCLA is one of the winningest programs in the sport and they missed the tournament just last year (that same year we went to the Elite Eight) with an 8-10-1 record. And just look at all of that California talent...

Florida has missed the tournament twice during our run. Teams like Florida State and Stanford aren't on that list either.

The fact that G and his staff built this program and have sustained this success is nothing short of impressive. Starting a program from scratch is incredibly hard and so is sustaining success. Remember when Portland and Santa Clara were perennial powers? What happened to them? These are soccer schools.

Coach G is 5th on the list of winningest active coaches in women's soccer. This is the guy that you are calling out? The guy that has built Texas A&M into a powerhouse?

Just a few years ago, Aggie Hoops fans lost their minds at a the thought of simply making the tournament. The Sweet Sixteen run last year was legendary. And yet, you are displeased with a coaching staff that has delivered that kind of success just about every year?

I'm perplexed at why you are so discontent. 2016 has been a miserable soccer season - there's no question. We are all unhappy. But 1 year is not a trend. Look at the other 21 seasons that we have been spoiled with.
blake2003
AG
Go look at the last 10 years of soccer recruiting and see where the top Texas players go... Spoiler Alert: They don't all come to Texas A&M.
gig them
AG
Is Coach G an A+ tactically? No.

But he's pretty dang good, and he's been pretty dang good for a long time, so I feel he's allowed to deviate from the insanely high expectations that he created.

Just one guy's opinion.
redd38
AG
blake2003 said:

Go look at the last 10 years of soccer recruiting and see where the top Texas players go... Spoiler Alert: They don't all come to Texas A&M.
Or go look at the last 10 years of soccer talent and see where the top players come from... Spoiler Alert: It's not Texas.
mullokmotx
AG
Out rpi fell to 69. Our best result was the draw with now #38 Missouri. Our best win was #59 Rice. Mississippi is 60, UK is 71, Auburn is 14 and MSU is 68.
TXAggie2011
AG
Coach G doesn't deserve a lifetime pass because he "created" the expectations himself.

That said, I'm solidly in the "don't fire" him camp.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.