Handling in the box....PK and Red Card

1,713 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by byfLuger41
agracer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So at my son's game last night, a player on the opposing team slid in front of the goal to try and stop a shot from going into the goal and it hit his arm (which was extended out from his body) blocking the ball from going into the goal. Ref blows the whistle, points to PK spot and give the kid a red card. The parents of the opposing team were of course all up in arms about "inadvertent" and "not on purpose" etc. etc.. and it should not be a red but a yellow.

One guy in particular was just in front of me and was shouting "it's a yellow, it's a yellow"..pretty insistent there should be no red card. Yes I should have just kept my mouth shut but I basically said "the ref is saying he denied a goal scoring opportunity by handling the ball..so it's a red. That's what the rules say".he of course continued to insist I, and the ref, were wrong and it should be a yellow.

In what situation would a yellow be issued for handling? Obvious deliberate handling (IE: Direct the ball to your advantage with your arm/hand).
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
I know that there was a recent softening of the rules with respect to the situation where the striker either goes on goal or forces the keeper to commit a straight red foul. Since the loss of a player and forced insertion of backup keeper to stop a penalty was such a harsh punishment, that was toned down to a yellow card.

But if I recall correctly, you're right on the handball especially with an arm dangling way out making a sliding play in front of the goal.
wangus12
AG
My belief is that if you stop the ball from going in the goal with your arm/hand, its a red. Regardless of how much intent, it denies a goal.

Anything else is a yellow or just a foul
Mathguy64
AG
First, keep in mind denial of a goal scoring opportunity is a pretty strict definition. Offensive player with ball at feet, moving towards the goal in a scoring position (that's inside the PA) with a foul or misconduct by the last defender.

Denial of a goal scoring opportunity - handling (DOGSO-H) is a red card and PK. You cannot save a goal by intentionally handling a ball. Go to jail, go directly to jail, do not collect $200.

Denial of a goal scoring opportunity - foul (DOGSO-F) was a red card and PK. This was changed in June to a PK and Yellow at the discretion of the referee. The thought was a red and PK (and subsequent suspension for a red card in most advanced leagues) was a triple penalty that was too much. So it was relaxed to yellow and PK. A foul on the order of a trip would be yellow. A blatant shove from behind while the last defender and you are subject to the red card.

Intentional handing in the PA would be a PK but may or may result in a card of any kind. You stick an arm out to block a pass or go to ground with arms extended on a pass or are in a superman position, well, those are unnatural positions. Whistle and PK. Cards are optional and dependent on what's going on (pass/shot, etc). The higher the level of play the less lenient refs are as higher level players are deemed to have more control. Having said that, balls hit hands all the time and it has to be deemed intentional to draw a whistle.
redd38
AG
Sometimes as a parent or a fan you have to argue a call even though you know you're wrong. It's just the way it is. At least he was being reasonable and trying to argue down to a yellow instead of no call at all.
Pahdz
It's really hard to slide and not have your hands and arms in a bad spot that would lead to a hand ball. I slid once to block a ground cross in the box and mistimed it and the ball hit my trailing arm. PK but no card. Granted that wasn't a clear scoring opportunity, but that's the last time I'll slide to block a shot or cross in the box.
agracer
AG
Pahdz said:

It's really hard to slide and not have your hands and arms in a bad spot that would lead to a hand ball. I slid once to block a ground cross in the box and mistimed it and the ball hit my trailing arm. PK but no card. Granted that wasn't a clear scoring opportunity, but that's the last time I'll slide to block a shot or cross in the box.
The theory I read on this situation is that you slid knowing your arms are going to come out therefor you are guilty of intentionally handling the ball.
byfLuger41
AG
Do you have an instant replay for us?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.