Heading the ball help

873 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by swc93
swc93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Soccer experts!

My son, U13 defender, has been getting frustrated with his youth coach berating him for seemingly not heading ever ball. I plan to talk to the coach at practice tonight but was hoping for some guidance. He has been playing for 8 years and this is the first time a coach has had an issue with him regarding this.

Crosses or high thru-balls he will head out or attempt to, he doesn't duck,; but high balls from clearances or goalie punts he prefers to trap or chest down. We worked on this forever when he was younger so his success rate at getting the ball down to his feet is very high. As a defender why is this wrong if he has time? His passing accuracy is a hell of a lot higher than if he was going to try to head the ball just to keep it from 'hitting the ground'. He has never been a kid to just head the ball just to head it like teammates that put a head on anything above the waist.

Trapping it just make the coach nervous?

I am sure his coach will explain, just hoping for some insight from other youth coaches and/or parents.

YankeeAg05
Youth coaches that berate shouldn't be involved in coaching. I know at younger ages US soccer is advising not to teaching heading. I'm not sure what age they do allow for it but I'd question anyone who'd rather you head the ball away when there is time and space to trap the ball. Watch the pros and defenders typically aren't heading out unless in a dangerous position or uncertain.
Mathguy64
AG
quote:
Youth coaches that berate shouldn't be involved in coaching.
This absolutely 1000%. I filled in reffing a line in a U12 match this weekend and the coach was just nonstop yelling at players who he thought were either out of position defensively or offensively. They were U12, so its not like they exactly knew where to be all the time. One poor kid must have had his name on speed dial because he got called out 20 plus times. I was on his side/technical area so at one point I just politely said "Coach, take a break and calm down. The season is a marathon, not a sprint." He replied "but they just don't listen to me." I just smiled and walked away thinking "coach they have tuned you out." Yelling is one thing. Verbal abuse is another altogether and the coach is on notice to shut up or take a walk to his car.

As for heading, USSF/US Soccer now has no heading at all in U11 or below. U12 can head in games but is very limited in practice.

Interestingly enough I see different groups of players who head or don't. Hispanic players tend to not head but rather trap on their chest or feet. White/Caucasian boys head much more often. Girls play to head much less than boys.

I would ask the coach what he wants with a header versus a trap and play. He may value the faster turnaround (assuming its controlled) of a header.
swc93
AG
Coach didn't realize my son hadn't really played in the middle; he has always been right/left defender. Coach expects his center backs to basically head every ball away. So I guess we will be doing some heading drills.

Thanks for the responses.
GigEmAgs14
AG
Your son playing Club or Rec ball?
swc93
AG
Club
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.