******BTHO UC-Riverside******

2,555 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Rambotx
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Texas A&M closes out their 9 game homestand with a match against the UC-Riverside Highlanders on Sunday at 6PM.

UC-Riverside has over 21,000 students on campus along with this weird looking bell tower. The Highlanders athletics slogan is "Building Champions" (sick 'em Jason Cook).

UC-Riverside also has a soccer team. The Highlanders are 3-2-3 this season with wins over Houston (3-0), Akron (3-0) and North Dakota State (1-0). They tied Southern Utah (1-1), South Dakota (1-1) and San Jose State (0-0). Losses came to San Francisco (1-2) and Michigan (0-4).

Watch for senior forward Taylor Dragoo (#24) who has scored 3 of the Highlanders' season goals. Dragoo is the only player to notch multiple goals for the team so far this season.

Junior Alanna Guzman (#1) has seen the bulk of minutes in goal for Riverside. She has allowed 8 goals while making 45 saves on the season. Riverside has a total of 4 shutouts on the season.

The Aggies have never before faced UC-Riverside, but unfotunately the University of California system does hold the 1-0 advantage over A&M so far this season.

Riverside's schedule isn't exactly a "Who's Who" of College Soccer and they've had mixed success against the slew of teams from well outside the Top 25. Texas A&M is on a completely different level, so this game could be a nice tune-up game for the Aggies as they hit the road to continue their quest for the conference crown (thanks Arkansas).
CDub06
AG
Interesting Promotions For Tomorrow:

PROMOTIONS

Fitness on the Field
- Get your workout in at Ellis Field, then catch the match
- Join us for a "boot camp" style fitness class at the field free of charge
- First 100 fans to sign up receive a FREE Aggie Soccer water bottle

I can't really find anymore information about the "boot camp" before the game. But I guess it's going to be a thing?
TXAggie2011
AG
That bell tower is so 1960s California.

I don't like it.
WheelinAg
AG
Anyone need tickets? We have 2 in section 10 and can't make it.
mullokmotx
AG
I'll be looking to see who is able to play. Looked Friday like Stephanie was getting close and Mia warmed up for the first time. Also interested to see what formation we play with Emily out. We seemed more defense oriented in the second half Friday with Margaret replacing Emily.
redd38
AG
Wearing all blacks tonight
redd38
AG
That bell tower looks like a jinga game that got out of hand.
tamufan
Emily and Kate on sideline with knee braces.

Starting Jordan Hill, and Sarah Shaw.

Stephanie will not play. Ankle still wrapped.
tamufan
4 4 2. Haley and Jordan up top.
Expert Analysis
AG
Our strategy on offense is especially poor tonight.
Expert Analysis
AG
There goes the shutout streak. Harryman got knocked down but I missed it. Ref asked for help and the assistant did say there was a foul.
Here4goodSoccer
It almost looked like their forward kicked Harryman while doing the basketball pick and that caused her to fall.
CDub06
AG
Just brutal.
Expert Analysis
AG
The bright side is we cannot play much worse the 2nd half
Perplexed Ag
That half reminded me of the poor offensive efforts we saw earlier in the year. It's hard to win if you only a score 1 goal, even harder when you surrender by not marking in the 6. Your right it can't get much worse.
Expert Analysis
AG
quote:

Emily's doesn't look like a knee brace. It's between the knee and ankle.
Hopefully a bruise to the shin is all.
Expert Analysis
AG
Dominating the first 20 minutes this half. UCR has 3 yellows. 2-1 ags
tamufan
2 1 aggies. 26 min to go. Harvey down. But left field on her own.

Emily is in a knee brace.
tamufan
And harvey back in.
Rambotx
Aggies Win 2-1!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1333064443400869&set=pcb.1333064666734180&type=3&theater

redd38
AG
quote:
quote:

Emily's doesn't look like a knee brace. It's between the knee and ankle.
Hopefully a bruise to the shin is all.

It's a knee brace, she just dropped it to her shin when she came out for the second half for some reason (I'm guessing because it was hot or uncomfortable).
aggie orbitalwelder
redd38
AG
Terrible first half. We're missing 4 starters so our offense is understandably struggling, but the effort in the first half was just terrible. Second half was better, and I think the UCR girls got a bit tired, so thankfully we won. The rest of the season is going to be a real struggle if we don't get Bates and Malherbe back soon.

Malherbe looked good in her exercises before the game so I think she's close to being back.
Expert Analysis
AG
That makes sense, it looked odd.
HiddenAg2
A&M survived tonight after a truly abysmal first half, the worst of the year. They didn't look prepared or interested. Now, to be fair, UC Riverside has some talent and I would argue is probably better than at least half the SEC teams we play this season, so it was encouraging to see the good effort in the 2nd half and the two quick goals to get the win.

But the real concern is the injury situation, which is starting to get ridiculous. We are basically about half strength right now if you include Watt out for the redshirt year. Losing Bates for an extended period will make it very difficult to score goals the rest of the season. We might have to win a bunch of 1-0 type games to stay in the SEC race. I think we had 5 freshmen in the game at times tonight and we looked disjointed for long stretches of the match. It is critical that we get Malherbe back as soon as possible though because we need more attacking play in the midfield to help the lone effective forward we have left in Pounds. It's really incredible how thin we are at forward this year, but next year we will be loaded with talent at the position. Now A&M goes on the road and remember we looked pretty bad at times against Florida and OSU in the exhibition games. That's why it would be nice to have some experienced leadership on the field and in the starting lineup.
Diego
Aggie Futbol
It was tough to watch today. We had so little ability to possess and that was made worse but the couple of players who we have that just kick the ball long to nobody on our team.

Other than the poor marking by Shaw and one other Aggie on the Riverside goal, our defensive effort was solid. Harvey and Pounds were good again. Wright and Harryman boom the ball too much but defend well. Harryman seems very fragile.

Our inexperience is having a negative impact on our ability to possess and control. I'm hoping that time and experience will lead to continuing improvement. We have a few more less difficult games coming up next week which should get us more time to improve.
McJulie-O
AG
I really appreciate all of your observations and analyses since I didn't see the game.... Thank you...
mullokmotx
AG
Riversides's defense reminded me of how Vandy played us last year, putting 10 players within 20 yards of the midfield stripe, cutting off the passing lanes and daring us to play it over the top. Their goal came when their #24 threw Grace Wright aside, and then I couldn't tell if Ashlynn got tripped or just slipped. We were off in the first half and everyone seemed to misplay at least one ball. How many yellow cards have now been issued to the players trying to defend Mikaela? To give an idea of how injuries are impacting the team, I looked at the starting lineup in the NCAA game against Mississippi. Only 1 starter graduated, but only 5 of the other 10 starters in that game started last night.
TRM
AG
Really #24 set a screen on Harryman and she took an elbow to the ribs.
oklaunion
Number 24 went anywhere she wanted to go. We had no one big enough to stop her.
Rambotx

Gig'em!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.