NCAA College Cup

2 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by redd38
redd38
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Due to North Carolina's insistence that boys use boys' bathrooms and girls use girls' bathrooms the NCAA is going to move the College Cup away from Cary, NC this year. I wonder if we're in the running for the new host. It's relatively short notice so I would think former hosts are the most likely candidates.
Pro Sandy
AG
Dumb on the NCAA, but maybe good for College Station
Diego
AG
Why would they move it to College Station? Don't we require boys to use boys' bathrooms and girls to use girls' bathrooms too?
Mathguy64
AG
They took a total of 7 NCAA championships out of NC, including the D3 soccer men's and women's championship and the NCAA basketball first week games. But they left the ACC football championship game there which has some folks wondering about motives. And they are taking some heat with one group stating that they wish the NCAA cared this much about the rapes at Baylor.
Aston94
AG
The ACC Championship game isn't the NCAA's event, they don't have control over it.
HiddenAg2
I would think A&M would be in the running in a tight spot, however, with the new West stands it would be difficult to build enough seating to accommodate 8,000-10,000 fans. The NCAA has become a political institution used to punish non-progressives, which is sad. And yes, the ACC football championship has nothing to do with the NCAA so they have no jurisdiction over it.
Mathguy64
AG
Yes, the NCAA has no sway on the ACC for the football game, but if it were really a big important deal, one that made a major statement that was for the better and greater good, the NCAA could work with the ACC to move the game, and the ACC would want to move it. Or the NCAA could have released a statement that they had no control over it but they were moving what they could. Instead they didn't say a word about it one way or the other. Which is strange because they couched their statement partly about travel, how some states are not reimbursing travel expenditures to NC for state business. If travel is a problem for the D3 soccer tourney, it would be an even bigger problem for the monster known as the ACC football championship.

For the record, I think the NCAA is being stupid and either making a feel good social statement or (more likely) being forced to make a feel good social statement. They should have just left everything alone.
Penaltykick
I would love to see Aggieland chosen to host the College Cup this year (or another year). Like Hidden, I am doubtful it happens this year at least, due to the logistical constraints. I'd guess the selected venue has a minimum capacity requirement and I don't think Ellis Field meets the criteria. With the current configuration, I don't think there is room to add temporary seating.

In my opinion, Ellis is the BEST soccer watching facility in the country, period, end of statement. But another issue for a large National event is the real lack of high quality concessions at Ellis. I think this could probably be remedied with portable concession stands (although not ideal). There would be a definite need to bring in portable toilets, as well.

Wouldn't surprise me if the event is moved to a Florida facility, or someplace on the West Coast (Portland? Southern California?) where cold weather is not as likely a factor.
redd38
AG
I agree that we wouldn't get to host under normal circumstances due to our seating configuration, but there's only 4 stadiums outside NC that have hosted in the last 13 years so you've got to think we have a shot at least.
CDub06
AG
I'd bet on Kennesaw hosting

<insert Scrappy photo here>
jeffk
AG
quote:
<insert Scrappy photo here>

redd38
AG
ACC is pulling their championships too
alamoaggie 64
: they left the ACC football championship game there"

ACC ruled today that they are moving all championship games out of the state.
alamoaggie 64
" a feel good social statement."

Believe me, this more than a social statement!
Carnwellag2
unc, duke, ncst, and wake should shop around - their conference clearly doesn't want them.

this would provide an 'out' if they wanted out
redd38
AG
quote:
unc, duke, ncst, and wake should shop around - their conference clearly doesn't want them.

I was thinking the same thing, maybe this will give the SEC the opportunity to snag UNC. It's a long shot, but would be funny.
Diego
AG
The last time we hosted in College Station, it snowed heavily.
CDub06
AG
"Heavily" for college station. No one was having a snowball fight with those flurries.
redd38
AG
hahaha, it has never snowed heavily in college station, especially not that day.

THIS is heavy snow:
sharpdressedman
quote:
The NCAA has become a political institution used to punish non-progressives, which is sad.
Agree. Progressives are pushing hard wherever possible to advance their agenda under the protection and encouragement of a supportive federal government umbrella. The NCAA ceased being only a college sports administration entity long ago.
CDub06
AG
Here's the Scrappy I ordered.

TXAggie2011
AG
quote:

My understanding is those schools support the ACC and NCAA's decisions, this is really a law that huge swaths of education leadership and those educated at their schools are not in any way in favor of. Rightly or wrongly.

I'm not surprised that the law finds support, or at least less fervent opposition, here on TexAgs and at Texas A&M. But the viewpoint here doesn't seem to match with the viewpoint at those universities. Again, rightly or wrongly.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:
The NCAA has become a political institution used to punish non-progressives, which is sad.
Agree. Progressives are pushing hard wherever possible to advance their agenda under the protection and encouragement of a supportive federal government umbrella. The NCAA ceased being only a college sports administration entity long ago.

My guess is the progressive response would be everything worked just fine and folks were using the bathroom without problem before conservatives pushed this new law as part of a larger law that was basically one big attempt for the state legislature to take away power and control from municipalities.

Quite frankly, I don't find this to be much of a conservative law either in the sense of governmental structure and functionality.

Anyways, a huge element of this law is agenda pushing by social conservatives onto less socially conservative communities and institutions. Social conservatives wanted to ensure their community standards were observed in all communities. I think this is pretty well undeniable if you actually look at the law and the way it is worded.
jeffk
AG
quote:
Here's the Scrappy I ordered.

Why is that owl wearing a shirt with a stick figure sporting a boner on it?
redd38
AG
College Cup will be in San Jose, CA
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.