Everton 2016-2017 Thread

6,109 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ThunderCougarFalconBird
ThunderCougarFalconBird
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here we go, gents.

There are a lot of moving pieces this summer. First order of business: we need a manager.

Everton are reportedly highly interested in Sevilla boss Unai Emery. His response to Everton's overtures was in the papers this morning:

Liverpool Echo article

quote:
Unai Emery has given a brief response to rumours linking him with the Everton job and said: "I'm very good at Sevilla."
My take on that level of coachspeak? Given our new ownership, we will see Emery in blue this fall.

Second order of business: selling talent. Rumor has it that we are asking 65 million pounds for Lukaku and given the amount of talks we've already had, it looks like we are going to get it. There are numerous other sale rumors.

Third order of business: acquiring talent. Rumors are swirling about a potential purchase of Joe Hart. Other issues include a new true No. 9 if Lukaku makes his exit. We will also need a replacement for Stones at CB if he is sold.

Lets hope this year is better than the last. Again, given new ownership and money in the door, here are my excessively optimistic expectations for the upcoming season:

• Splashy hire at manager -- we have money. Let's go get a name that raises eyebrows. Emery does that. de Boer does that. I would even consider Pelligrini (your thoughts?)
  • Maximize revenue for players sold. If someone wants to drop 65 million ponds on us for Luakaku, we will figure out how to replace him.
  • Success in the summer transfer market. I don't know what this looks like yet and I assume that it will be shaped after we've selected a manager.
  • Challenge for champions league. Given the talent we already have, supplemented with a well-executed strategy over the summer and the fact that we don't have to mess with mid-week Europa football, we should be light on injuries and poised to make a serious run.
  • Win a domestic trophy. I'm ever the optimist. I don't care which domestic trophy. Just bring a damn trophy home. Our trophy-free streak is old enough to drink in the United States. WAAAAAAY too long for a club like Everton.
heddleston
AG
Would love to have any of the 3 aforementioned managers.

If stones and lukaku both are sold and Moshiri also injects some cash, then we could be looking at a massive transfer fund. Money won't solve all the problems, but we could see a flippin awesome influx of talent this summer.
heddleston
AG
Ronald Koeman (Southampton) also interviewed, he may not be a serious candidate but I'd be ok with him too. Moyes is apparently interviewing too, which i will flip a lid if they bring him back. No way does that go well.
Kampfers
AG

quote:
Moyes is apparently interviewing too, which i will flip a lid if they bring him back. No way does that go well.

heddleston
AG
Word on the street is that it's gonna be Koeman. Sounds good, he really did a good job at Southampton.
Dirty Mike and the Boys
AG
I'm cool with $65 MM for Lukaku.
Aston94
AG
So it will apparently be Koeman. I am not sure what to think of this hire. Koeman has done a great job at Southampton, where they have done a great job locating talent and then selling it off.

I am not sure what that means for Everton though. Are we resigned to being a club that needs to find talent on the cheap, develop it and then sell it? Or do we want to be a big player in the transfer market and compete for cups?

I think Koeman is a good manager, not sure what direction this will take Everton though.
Dre_00
In order to convince Koeman, Moshiri offered to double his wages, promised him a transfer fund of 100 million pounds, and promised that all funds from a Lukaku sale would be made available for transfers as well. The man is super motivated to improve Everton and if Koeman does in fact make the move to Everton, I'd take that as a sign that the other two are going to happen as well.

Of course, making 100 million available doesn't mean that 100 million is going to be spent. You can throw as much money as you want at the club to pay transfer fees...that doesn't mean that every player is going to want to come. But it doesn't sounds like tight purse strings are going to be the reason why players aren't added to the squad this off-season. I think it's a good hire for Everton and the first step in a progression that money can bring.
Aston94
AG
I hope so. Will just be interesting to see if Koeman is ready for that jump. The jump from coaching a "little team that could" to a club expecting to compete for trophies is huge. I like him at Southampton, hopefully he is ready for Everton.
fig96
AG
I was hoping for more of a splash hire, but this could work if he's going to have some money to spend. A lot of the pieces are in place, especially in the midfield and I'm keeping fingers crossed for a fully healthy Baines.

Stones is replaceable, but we're going to need to find a legit striker to replace Lukaku's goal production. If there's 65 mil to spend you could probably find two good young strikers to add to the roster.
fig96
AG
Everton manager target Ronald Koeman: plain speaking, knows how to attack AND defend, great in the transfer market
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-manager-target-ronald-koeman-11435585

quote:
Everton will have poached a top manager who has plenty going for him if they clinch Ronald Koeman's signature as expected.

That's the verdict of the Southern Daily Echo's sports editor Simon Carter, who believes Southampton's loss will be Everton's gain.

Simon took the time to give us the low-down on what to expect once the Dutchman has been appointed.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Koeman is a done deal.

Here is a good write up on the hire.
Mr. White
I'm excited.

Are there ANY USMNT players that Everton might even consider?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Not that I've heard any rumors about. I think most of the German based players will stay in the Bundesliga for the foreseeable future and I haven't really heard anything re a move from MLS by anyone.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
And just like that, it looks like Everton may have hit a brace with the Koeman hire. Klinsman is apparently the leading candidate to take over as manager at Southampton.
fig96
AG
Ok, preseason is underway so let's talk targets...

Everybody (Everton, Chelsea, Arsenal) wants Senegalese defender Kalidou Koulibaly, currently with Napoli:
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/everton-transfer-rumours-blues-meet-11600398

Axel Witsel is also on the radar but may end up with, interestingly, Napoli:
http://talksport.com/football/transfer-report-everton-set-disappointment-over-axel-witsel-belgium-star-closes-napoli

Some interesting opinion on why it may be tough for the Blues to land top targets:
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/opinion-everton-growing-pains-newly-11581491

RolloInsurance
quote:
Some interesting opinion on why it may be tough for the Blues to land top targets:
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/opinion-everton-growing-pains-newly-11581491

That's a pretty fair article. It's not unlike college sports recruiting. You have to out-do your expectations at some point to change perception. Money does solve a lot of problems in the Premier League though, so while it may take a couple of seasons, performance should improve.

(And yes, the primary user of the forum sponsor account is an Everton supporter, so we'll be dropping in on this thread a lot.)
fig96
AG
Agreed, there's definitely a perception to overcome, though I think Koeman can overcome that pretty quickly if he can start winning.
Turk Turkleton
AG
I'm still learning a lot about soccer and the business of the premiere league so I could use some help as to whether or not I should be worried by the fact that EFC has only signed one new face when we're just a few short weeks away from the first match of the season?

Is this normal or have our Toffees fallen behind during this transfer window?
fig96
AG
quote:
I'm still learning a lot about soccer and the business of the premiere league so I could use some help as to whether or not I should be worried by the fact that EFC has only signed one new face when we're just a few short weeks away from the first match of the season?

Is this normal or have our Toffees fallen behind during this transfer window?
It's not ideal, but the transfers get fast and furious in the last week before the window closes. There's a fair number of teams with only a few players in at this point, it's all about the long game.

The transfer window is also a bit weird as it extends a few weeks into the season, so we'll see some movement after the first few matches.
byfLuger41
AG
I created a fantasy league for this year. It's creatively titled "TexAgs Classic League" and the league code to join is 1634813-400128.

The other league is a head-to-head titled "TexAgs Head-to-Head League" and the code to join is 1634813-400242.

If you haven't done this before, the website is [url=http://fantasy.premierleague.com/][/url][url=http://fantasy.premierleague.com/][/url]http://fantasy.premierleague.com. Go there, click "Leagues," "Join a League (private)," and enter the code.
Aston94
AG
Stones to Man City is official. I hate to see him go, but it was clear he wasn't dedicated to the team long term, so better to sell him now.
fig96
AG
quote:
Stones to Man City is official. I hate to see him go, but it was clear he wasn't dedicated to the team long term, so better to sell him now.
Yup, agreed. I also don't know that he's quite as good as his price tag, but I guess we'll see.

Did we get the 50m for him?

RolloInsurance
47.5m

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37020275
fig96
AG
Dang, close enough.
fig96
AG
And recent additions...

Ashley Williams from Swansea for 12m (central defender to replace Stones)
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10528974/everton-seal-ashley-williams-transfer-from-swansea-for-12m-sky-sources

Rumors of an agreement for Yannick Bolasie, Crystal Palace winger that could go as high as 30m (club record)
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11671/10529382/everton-agree-deal-to-sign-yannick-bolasie-from-crystal-palace-sky-sources

And last week holding midfielder Idrissa Gueye from relegated Aston Villa for 7.1m
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/695856/Everton-Idrissa-Gueye-completes-move-Aston-Villa-Transfer-News-Gossip
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG

Sad to see him go but he wasn't really there and I think 47.5 million is a nice price to get for him.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Everton sign Yannick Bolasie on a five year deal from Crystal Palace. I think this is a good signing. Very crafty player.

The squad looked good in the first 45 against Spurs and managed to hang on for a point in the second half, thanks in no small part to very solid goalkeeping. After watching Saturday, it is clear that the Spurs are very much a title contender. I think we should see a top-half finish and perhaps even a top 6 finish if Koeman can work his magic.
fig96
AG
Like the signing.

Not a bad result from Saturday, though after the first few minutes I was really hoping for 3 points. Decent start in any case, on to the next one!
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
7 points 3 matches into the season. Things looking positive. Let's keep the wins happening.
fig96
AG
quote:
7 points 3 matches into the season. Things looking positive. Let's keep the wins happening.
Not looking bad at all, getting some decent chances and could've easily had at least one more in this match.

Mirallas is looking dangerous and Holgate is starting to come into his own. I'm just annoyed the penalty was credited as an own goal, that was a negative 5 point swing on my fantasy team for Baines

In any case, definitely a promising start.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Any of you based in Houston, the Houston Evertonians meet at the Phoenix on westheimer. Our numbers are small and blindey is out the next few weeks. But we are growing.
RolloInsurance
Encouraging signs so far. I'm sold on Bolasie. Don't know enough about Sissoko to know whether I should be upset we didn't get him.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
30 million pounds was too much for Sissoko. I'm not terribly upset about it.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Lukaku hat trick. Hat to see Moyes get hammered but wow this Everton squad looks GOOD.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.