Houston Dynamo 2016 Season Thread

43,444 Views | 564 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by FW Declerk
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Let's see if Coyle and Jordan needed more time or if they just suck.
Dre_00
Rumors are the team is looking for more speed and a true CM capable of making a pass. There really isn't an area of the field that couldn't use some improvement but some of that improvement is going to have to come from players on the current roster (Torres, I'm looking at you).

I believe Bruin's contract is up. It will be interesting to see how that goes. He's definitely a love him or hate him kinda guy for the fan base. Annoying at times to be sure but still been our leading goal scorer for multiple years. Will he re-sign with Houston? If so, what kind of salary is he worthy of? I personally wouldn't mind seeing him back but I think he'll be looking for something around 250K a year. Not sure he's worth it at that price. It would be a much easier decision to make if Torres had made a case for the first 11 but he clearly didn't. Gun to my head, I think he's not wearing orange next season.
gig them
AG
Will Bruin can lead the line for a fringe playoff team... but can he do so for a team with legitimate title aspirations? I'm not so sure that he can. I'd offer him a "squad rotation" level salary (whatever that is), and if someone wants to pay him like a bonafide first choice XI striker... let them.
AG@RICE
AG
For the past 2 years the Dynamo have been pitiful at all levels of the organization: players, coaching, player scouting/recruitment, and even stadium/fan experience.

They need a complete organizational overhaul.

I'm going back to the dead horse I've already beat: We need a new owner...badly.

onceaggie
AG
quote:
For the past 2 years the Dynamo have been pitiful at all levels of the organization: players, coaching, player scouting/recruitment, and even stadium/fan experience.

They need a complete organizational overhaul.

I'm going back to the dead horse I've already beat: We need a new owner...badly.

This nothing will change until there is a new owner..
Dre_00
I would argue that there won't be a new owner until fans speak loudly enough and demand one. At least raise a kerfuffle and start asking why MLS 3.0 still has a situation where 1 owner owns 2 teams. That was supposed to end years ago. Local media definitely won't ask the question. It's up to the fans to organize and make it an issue.
aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
Coaching has been a problem for 2 years? Does that mean Dom was part of the problem?
gig them
AG
Dom's problem was that he played ugly. That was always going to end poorly once the results stopped.

I'll tell you what, though... I sure miss him now
onceaggie
AG
Dallas I the playoffs and they are still posting about us what losers
Brick Tamland
quote:
onceaggie
AG
quote:
quote:

and now posting on our thread.

Losers.
Dre_00
Grant Wahl reporting that Houston is shopping Cubo Torres to other MLS teams.

If this is true, this either is a huge mistake or confirmation that a huge mistake was made.

1) You can't tell me that you can accurately assess a $7 million investment after 3 months.
2) If by some chance you can (because it's so blatantly obvious), and your decision is to cut ties after 3 months (because it's so blatantly obvious he's not a fit/horrible), then it's obvious your scouting/personnel moves are otherworldly horrible and you need to fire whoever is making your decisions.

The only way a trade of Cubo makes any sense is if they get a boatload in return AND they go out and find a similar replacement in size and impact. But given the year Torres just had, I don't see anyone lining up to offer anything even remotely close to the $7 million investment that was initially made and I have even less faith that the owners would endorse another $7 million. Why would they after watching what their people did with the first one?

I honestly have no idea what this FO is doing. None.
gig them
AG
What a mess. Ugh.

Can we officially call this a more expensive version of the Landin fiasco?
Out in Left Field
AG
LOOOOOOOOOOL DYNAMOOOOOOOOOO!
OOOOOO OOO DYNAMOOOOO!
Let's go Dynamo?
AudaciousAg
AG
The seeming indirection of the team really makes it hard to get excited about the club as a fan that lives 1200 miles away. I can't go to the games so the only thing I can get excited about is progress, we don't ever seem to have that.

it's as if the clubs sole purpose of the club was to build a nice stadium and then call it quits. We don't have a good plan to grow the fan base, we don't have any sort of grand soccer plan that I can see.

I'd love to see AEG sell their stake in the team to local ownership that had a vision for the team. Preferably ownership that doesn't have another pro sports franchise. Most of the good owners in MLS seem to be 100% soccer, the NFL owners don't really do anything special.

It also hurts that in the past 2 years I've seen a lot of teams significantly upgrade their on field and off field game. We seem to have slightly regressed. When that is put in context of the teams who are advancing we feel very stale.
Texaggie7nine
Already getting the calls from Dynamo to get season tix.

Guarantee we make the playoffs or my money back and I will consider it.
7nine
Dre_00
Davis to be traded to SKC (most likely).

There really aren't enough words for how confused I am by the decisions being made. Based on the fact that the powers that be have already said 1) they'll use the academy and USL team to build team because "They'll never be Toronto or NY" and 2) they seem willing to trade anyone with value (Torres, Davis), they are essentially saying "Be prepared. We're going to suck for a long time."

That academy they want to build the 1st team with? 1 player in 10 years has actually produced meaningful minutes. Unless there's a swarm of talent ready to burst through, it's not going to be a successful strategy...certainly in the short term. Those young players they brought in (Manotas and Miranda)? They didn't exactly start every game or play the majority of the time. So you're going to use the academy/USL and young players to build the team...but you aren't going to play them. Instead you're going to play veterans or "high value" players...but then you're going to trade them.

What in the living hell is going on?
Out in Left Field
AG

http://www.houstondynamo.com/post/2015/11/11/rgvfc-announces-%E2%80%9Ctoros%E2%80%9D-team-nickname
AG@RICE
AG
quote:
Davis to be traded to SKC (most likely).

There really aren't enough words for how confused I am by the decisions being made. Based on the fact that the powers that be have already said 1) they'll use the academy and USL team to build team because "They'll never be Toronto or NY" and 2) they seem willing to trade anyone with value (Torres, Davis), they are essentially saying "Be prepared. We're going to suck for a long time."

That academy they want to build the 1st team with? 1 player in 10 years has actually produced meaningful minutes. Unless there's a swarm of talent ready to burst through, it's not going to be a successful strategy...certainly in the short term. Those young players they brought in (Manotas and Miranda)? They didn't exactly start every game or play the majority of the time. So you're going to use the academy/USL and young players to build the team...but you aren't going to play them. Instead you're going to play veterans or "high value" players...but then you're going to trade them.

What in the living hell is going on?

I think you hit the nail on the head. This franchise is circling the drain. Dom kept us floating, but the next few years might be really bad. Hopefully it results in the owners selling the dynamo due to low revenue (hopefully to me after I win the lottery)
byfLuger41
sayas2005
AG
[url=http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=9dy8t][/url]
Based on a) Davis leaving and b) players currently on the roster - this is what I would want to see next year.

Nothing to really get too excited about, or to believe next season would be much better without roster changes. We really need depth across the board except keeper and striker. I'd start by trying to upgrade our midfield. I like pushing Beasley further up the field to one of those positions and if Torres proves something (and is on the roster) playing with two forwards would reduce the number of midfielders we'd need by switching to Barnes/Clark central midfield. Lose Garrido and reduce Sturgis' minutes and try to find someone capable of playing MLS quality alongside Clark.

I don't think Coyle like Sarkodie as much as I do, so if he's not going to play then trade him for whatever you can get (we need everything) and find another leftback.

A season in USL with the Rio Grande Valley Vipers for Manotas and Memo Rodriguez.
11taxman11
AG
Don Garber just said they will announce the sale of the Dynamo soon! Thank the lord
Texaggie7nine
quote:
Don Garber just said they will announce the sale of the Dynamo soon! Thank the lord

I got a few bucks to put down. Y'all wanna throw in and buy em?
7nine
jeffk
AG
Tree fiddy.
AudaciousAg
AG
quote:
If you're pulling my leg I'm going to slap you.
Pahdz
you better not be kidding...we need a new owner bad, but we also need a direction both on the field and off the field. I'm with the guy who said it's hard being a fan 1200 miles away (I'm about a quarter of that, but still) and not seeing squat as far as effort in improving the squad.
AudaciousAg
AG
quote:
you better not be kidding...we need a new owner bad, but we also need a direction both on the field and off the field. I'm with the guy who said it's hard being a fan 1200 miles away (I'm about a quarter of that, but still) and not seeing squat as far as effort in improving the squad.
That was me. Distance requires that the team entice you by having a clear vision. We don't have that at all, despite what Cannetti says.
Dre_00
I'll believe it when I see it.
AudaciousAg
AG
http://www.ibtimes.com/mls-news-commissioner-don-garber-certain-league-will-become-one-worlds-best-2184778. Source. Don Garber mentioned that dynamo close to being sold at BlazerCon.

I'm now a lot more hopeful this will happen. I hope they are local to Houston. And not involved in another league.
JJxvi
AG
Luis Garrido suffered what looked to be a significant knee/leg injury in the Honduras-Mexico match today.
jeffk
AG
Looked broken to me.
Dre_00
He's out for at least a year. Hate to see that happen.

I think he was only at Houston on loan so needless to say, the Dynamo won't be renewing his loan or picking up their option.
Out in Left Field
AG
The video looked horrible
Texaggie7nine
Ha ha.

Up yours Dallas

http://www.chron.com/sports/dynamo/article/Copa-America-soccer-championship-coming-to-Houston-6643562.php

quote:
Houston was the only Texas city chosen for Copa America Centenario, which picked eight NFL stadiums, the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif., and the Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium in Orlando, Fla. New Jersey's MetLife Stadium, Boston's Gillette Stadium, Chicago's Soldier Field, Philadelphia's Lincoln Financial Field, Phoenix's University of Phoenix Stadium, San Francisco' Levi's Stadium and Seattle's CenturyLink Field were also selected.
7nine
Dre_00
I really hope the turf they lay doesn't blow chunks. But I'm sure it will.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.