FS: Smith & Wesson 686

3,905 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AlaskanAg08
AlaskanAg08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm guessing that there are some fans of the vintage S&W 686's on the board. I have a 686-4 and I'd love to sell it to another Aggie. This gun shipped from the S&W factory on 10/25/1993 and since its purchase, it has only has 12 rounds through it. It was cleaned, put up, and has sat in its original box since 93.

The -4's are the most desirable 586/686 versions to 99.9% of the revolver guys. No MIM, no IL, hammer-mounted FP, drilled & tapped top strap and the updated rear sight.

S&W 686-4
Original box w/manual
Serial: BPY5443
Product Code: 104421

$950
FTF preferred
FFL you pay fee+ shipping

http://imgur.com/a/pMMQ2
http://imgur.com/a/eoQ3O
http://imgur.com/a/bvgXi

highvelocity
AG
WHY MUST I BE SO LOLPOOR RIGHT NOW
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
big boy pew pew
redass1876
AG
Not trolling, just curious why the -4's are the most desirable? I thought that was the first year with the locks
AlaskanAg08
AG
686-4 (not 686 plus 4in) is pre lock and pre MIM. They just don't make em like they used to is all it boils down to.
Also, people love the 4in models as they are a good middle ground between the stubbie and the long barrel. Gives you the best of both worlds in terms of weight/maneuverability.
cochrum
AG
I have a 686 3 inch as my daily carry. Its the talo version and my favorite gun. However i paid 750 new few months ago. Good luck selling it. Anyone who buys it will be glad they did!
AlaskanAg08
AG
Nice! I don't have a 7rd revolver yet, but I can see myself getting one in the future. Did yours come with the rubber grips or the wood?
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:
Nice! I don't have a 7rd revolver yet, but I can see myself getting one in the future. Did yours come with the rubber grips or the wood?
Haha, I read this as "I don't have a 7th revolver yet"
AlaskanAg08
AG
HAHA! That would be a great problem to have. I would be selling more than one if that was the case!
cochrum
AG
I came with wood grips but it also has the new internal lock that some people dont like. Many people prefer the older model like yours because of that. I dont mind though.
92Ag95
AG
I've got a 686-3 circa late 1980's looks identical to OP except no orange on front sight. Favorite handgun.

drumboy
AG
I have one like this that I got from my grandma. It's a good looking piece.
AlaskanAg08
AG
Sold pending funds
garyt73
AG
I agree the -4 is the most desirable. I looked for a good, low rounds example for about a year before I found one.
Someone is getting a great model.
Biggame12
AG
quote:
Sold pending funds
Let me know if this deal falls through
AlaskanAg08
AG
Biggame12- PM Sent

Deal fell through, so the gun is still available.

The guy wanted me to send it to his house, and not the FFL, since the required overnight shipping was too expensive. I told him I wasn't breaking federal law, I'm not related to Hill-dog, so its not like I could get away with it or anything.
AlaskanAg08
AG
Sold (again) pending funds
texas.aggie.2010
Whats the best source on S&W and the various "screw" models and values? Blue book? Gunbroker? S&W Forums?

I've been eyeing model 29's and 19's and have always thought the older it is the more valuable/collectible it is. 5 screw vs 3 screw vs 1 screw.

AlaskanAg08
AG
The very best source for info on the guns are the books that Jim Supica writes. The next edition comes out soon:

https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Catalog-Smith-Wesson-Supica/dp/089689293X/ref=pd_cp_0_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1Y0SEFHXBDR9VGQK9KJE

Values can be all over the place on any firearm.I always say Gunbroker is a good place to start because you can compare your item in condition and age to others that are for sale and have recently sold in order to get a good idea of a price.
oklaunion
quote:
Whats the best source on S&W and the various "screw" models and values? Blue book? Gunbroker? S&W Forums?

I've been eyeing model 29's and 19's and have always thought the older it is the more valuable/collectible it is. 5 screw vs 3 screw vs 1 screw.

Pretty much it is 5,4 and 3 screw. I went to the Madisonville gun show this weekend and, even though it is a very small show, there were some nice quality Smiths on display. I saw a sale go down on a near perfect 29 no dash from '61 or '62 in the original clamshell case with tools for north of $1800. Another guy also had some nice early J frames from the 50s and I saw my first Model 13 for sale in quite a while. Folks don't usually get rid of them. I heard there was a pre-19 Combat Magnum but never found it. Probably sold quickly.
texas.aggie.2010
Sorry to continue derailing your SPF .
What do yall think of a smodel 37 from 1957. 85-90% ?

Awesome info thanks! I'm interested in collecting revolvers and will definitely grab the new s&w handbook.

Do yall ever worry about it being a commodity market? For example, even without gun control, the seeming antipathy to classic firearms over the next 20 years might lead to severely depressed pricing. (Great for me, terrible for my wallet) I know you can't time market and I wouldn't truly consider them assets. bUT it would suck if i droppef 1k on something that drops to $100.

aggiepaintrain
AG
values arent dropping

I bought the gun in the OP and could not be more pleased it could go to $0 or $2000, not for sale again
AlaskanAg08
AG
Texas.Aggie.2010- You're not derailing the thread at all. I could talk S&W's and gun values all day long! The J frame's are great guns, and you probably have a safe bet there as far as buying it now and selling it in the future for more. Just make sure the cylinder is tight, for some reason, people love to slam them when they close and wear out the swing arm.

I have never worried about the current value vs future for classic or new firearms, simply because the market is always moving. I have a buddy who is an energy trader and he told me that as long as the market moves, he makes money, and I think it is the same deal with firearms.

I know people who bought into mags and AR's HEAVY during the last big swing in values back in 2012 and they made a killing! But the guys guys who bought at the top when they were paying 1200 bucks for AR's will eventually see a market where they can sell them for more. They just have to sit on them for a while.

Firearms are a pretty safe bet in terms of investment, mainly due to our current geopolitical environment. Election years always help too!

Aggiepaintrain- it was great to meet you, take care of that pistol...I think I already have sellers remorse :-)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.