Wanted: Cast Iron Machine Bases or Legs (Lathe, Mill, etc)

1,636 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Aggietaco
Aggietaco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dear TexAgs,

Mrs. Aggietaco wants me to build her a table. She wants metal legs on said table, beyond what I am able to fabricate with stock steel and my equipment. What she's looking for are something like the early 1900's lathe and mill machine bases that are popular in industrial furniture these days.

Something like the legs seen here:

I haven't had much luck at the local antique shops here in Austin nor on CL in any of the major TX cities, so if you've got something, no matter the condition, let me know and I may be interested. Obviously willing to pay or willing to haul off scrap in return.

Sincerely,
Aggietaco
Msgt USAF Ret
I see them on CL occasionally but not often. When I check eBay for parts and accessories for my lathe I see them quite frequently. I just checked and under the listing Lathe Legs there are several listed. How much do you want to spend on these legs? They run from $250 - $500 or so. Good Luck.
Aggietaco
AG
That's the issue. I've found several online in the North East for $500+ and obviously someone is buying them at that price, but not me. I'd like to keep it around $200 or less. I found a nice early model lathe in Houston but missed out on picking it up this morning. And I've only seen that one in the past few weeks of browsing.
VetSurg
AG
Do you know what they weigh? I think I have the exact (or very close) one you posted a picture of. It can only be moved with a front end loader.

Aggietaco
AG
Yes, I'm aware of the weight of a full lathe. I've got an engine hoist to move it after it's been partially disassembled. Of course ideally I'd find someone that would part with just the legs for a few hundred bucks and re-mount the lathe to a table like most people do these days.

Are you selling?
VetSurg
AG
I would sell it. I have just the table, no lathe.

Provide me an email or phone number, and I'll send you pictures.

Aggietaco
AG
Vet - you can e-mail me at (snip).

Thanks!
VetSurg
AG
Sent
Aggietaco
AG
Thanks VetSurg! Replied.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.