Antique Gun Question

2,043 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by LakeCity
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going to post on Outdoors too, but there are tons of gun folks on here and I had some luck when I posted some pics of my guitar on this board earlier in the year.

I was at my dads tonight and we were talking about guns and he opened the safe. One gun he pulled out was visually very old compared to the rest. I asked him about it. He didn't know much other than it was my great-grandfathers (born 1901) and it was a "Derringer 22". A google search doesn't show anything that looks like this. I saw "1854" stamped into the side of it.

Anyone know anything about this gun? Thank you.

Usoos
AG
sort of looks like an old S&W

http://www.american-firearms.com/american-firearms/z-html/company-S/Smith%20&%20Wesson/Smith%20&%20Wesson.html
agcrock2005
AG
Thanks Usoos, but that's way too much information for me to look at tonight. I'll check it out this weekend!
crb87
AG
Looks like a Frank Wesson single shot pistol to me. If so, it should have markings on top of the barrel near the breech.
bonfarr
AG
Take it to Vegas and Pawn Stars and get on TV.
agcrock2005
AG
Crb, I think you're on to something. I remember seeing "wesson" on it somewhere but there was no "smith". I had to leave quickly. In going to get some more information on it in the next few days. Thanks.
EastTexasAg1994
AG
Send off the info and pics to Garry.James@imoutdoors.com He is the one that does Identification and Values for Guns and Ammo.

Usoos
AG
I think crb is right. After looking t the Frank Wesson photos, it looks like that is what you have.

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/10688046
LakeCity
Its a Frank Wesson first type small frame single shot Model 1859. Made from 1859 through 1880. About 2500 made. Its a .22 short. Opens by pulling on the little stud in front of the trigger.

The one shown above on the auction site is a model 1862. Note it has a square frame and a round sideplate.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.