Ebay users - advice?

4,366 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Tagguy
CLB2008
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I am new to Ebay and want to make sure I am not about to get scammed. Long story short, I am selling a used iPhone on Ebay and someone bought it the same day I posted at the "buy it now price". When doing the listing, I did not select the option to ship internationally, so the email I got below is a little concerning. ---------------------
Hello,
I finally managed to sort out the payment Issue. This purchase is a surprise present for my son birthday next week. Please do all you can to ship the item today using USPS PRIORITY MAIL INTERNATIONAL. Below is the shipping address confirmed shipping address. SHIPPING ADDRESS:
Name:Charles Richardson
Address:25,St Peters Street,
Southern wood
City:East London
State:Eastern-cape
Zip code: 5201
I couldn't update my primary shipping address on eBay to the South African address which will make it a bit difficult for you to create a shipping label to the address. I will suggest you should take it straight to the post office and get it ship manually, once the shipment is made you can then insert the tracking number to eBay. it is the same process but a bit longer than just creating a shipping label online..Also I'd like you to insert a short note written"HAPPY BIRTHDAY IN ADVANCE. LOVE, DAD.Should you not receive the payment confirmation, check your "spam folder" I found mine in there.Thanks and I'll be anticipating your swift response,Regard.Angela.

-----------
So my questions to you'll. Does this seem fishy? Is it normal to not ship something until I have received the payment? I have not seen anything deposited into my paypal account yet, so I assume she hasn't paid.

LGAggie
AG
Never ship before payment.

I'd run away from this and report the user to eBay. Does the buyer have good feedback on eBay?
aggiepaintrain
AG
That's a scam all you will do is ship your phone and PayPal will take the money back from you in about 2 weeks.

Sell to US buyers only with PayPal confirmed addresses. Even then you can get screwed with their buyer protection policy that basically gives them a warranty for 6 months and they lie and say it's not working as described.
My advice sell on Craigslist to a local buyer or on Texags or just trade it in.

My ebay rating is 4900
CLB2008
AG
Her rating is 100% with 77 blue stars or whatever that is. Her address in her profile is in NY so thats what she is referring to with the new address.

So normally, would I find out what shipping is, tell the buyer, wait until the full amount hits my paypal, then ship?
LostInLA07
AG
Scam
CrazyAgE
Call eBay and talk to them
tamuags08
AG
scam
CLB2008
AG
Thanks for all the replies, guys.
Back to the drawing board...
crb87
AG
iPhones are one of the most scammed items on eBay. I've sold several and all are fishy deals. Almost all are purchased by foreigners (most go to California). Make sure and send it priority so you'll have tracking on it. And like the other guys said... Ship to the US only. Good luck!
Naveronski
AG
Yes, this is a scam.

If you have to question it, it's a scam.

If they want you to ship to Africa, it's a scam.

If they're in a rush, it's a scam.

If price doesn't matter, it's a scam.

If their English sucks, it's a scam.
Ark03
AG
quote:
Yes, this is a scam.

If you have to question it, it's a scam.

If they want you to ship to Africa, it's a scam.

If they're in a rush, it's a scam.

If price doesn't matter, it's a scam.

If their English sucks, it's a scam.
I agree with the above ... and if they ask you to do anything outside of the normal ebay or paypal process, it's a scam. The different address is the biggest red flag.

Source: I've been ripped off on both ebay (on a sell) and texags (on a purchase). People suck.
Disarmer
AG
Just tell her you'll send to her confirmed address once payment clears. She can do what she wants with it after that.
Rexter
Tell her to send you the money as a gift. No recourse for her that way. And since the phone is a gift it makes it seem more legit
CFTXAG10
AG
Yea that definitely sounds like a scam. I would contact Ebay, their customer service is pretty good and quick
Ark03
AG
quote:
Tell her to send you the money as a gift. No recourse for her that way. And since the phone is a gift it makes it seem more legit
I learned that the hard way when I tried to buy something from a texags poster. I sent money as a gift to avoid the fee, and when he failed to deliver the item, I had no recourse through paypal.

Live and learn - I'm a lot more cynical about people now than I was a few years ago.
Hanrahan
AG
Sounds like a hacked account if it has 77 rating and a NYC address.
CLB2008
AG
quote:

Got an email from Ebay this morning. Sounds like that is exactly what happened.
originaltexan
CLB,

email me at originaltexan @outlook.com

I am an expert in these matters.
PrincessButtercup
AG
quote:
Yea that definitely sounds like a scam. I would contact Ebay, their customer service is pretty good and quick

This. They have shockingly good customer service. Definitely don't ship the item.
Tagguy
AG
quote:

Even if it wasn't hacked everything about it screams scam.
NWE
AG
IT IS A SCAM YOU IDIOT OP
IrishTxAggie
AG
quote:
quote:
I learned that the hard way when I tried to buy something from a texags poster. I sent money as a gift to avoid the fee, and when he failed to deliver the item, I had no recourse through paypal.

Live and learn - I'm a lot more cynical about people now than I was a few years ago.
Name blast the person on TexAgs... That usually solves it.
Ark03
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Name blast the person on TexAgs... That usually solves it.

Well, it's been a couple of years now, but I stalked him pretty good at the time. He's got his own problems now, and as my grandmother mused to say, you can't get blood from a turnip.
Tagguy
AG
quote:
as my grandmother mused to say, you can't get blood from a turnip.

Well not with that attitude
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.