Cutting Boards/Gifts

19,890 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by agrams
agrams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Updated 9-10-15

This thread gets bumped every so often and I manage to not check it enough, so I figured I would update the OP some to update.

I make a few batches of cutting boards each Christmas to sell, and keep a handful available throughout the year for those interested.

I've standardized on several sizes. All come with juice grooves and carved out handles on the ends.

The base is 13"x18"x1.5" for $70

The next size up is ~19.5"x14.5"x1.75" and $85.

And the large size I have is 20"x19.75"x2" at $120.

I do name carvings on the sides for no markup for Aggies, so just let me know if you want that.

I have gotten in to more turning lately and cigar trays, both of which are pretty popular:

I do also make watch boxes/humidors/walking canes/etc:

With regards to A&M associated items, I do not make or create A&M logos/emblems/trademarks/etc. I do however incorporate anything you want to send me in to a piece I am making for you. Bronze keychains from highland mint are popular, as well as cufflinks cut down to set in pieces. The humidor top was actually from a plaque that the guy got from the century club, he sent it to me, I popped off the seal and inset it in the top of his humidor. I really don't want to get a nastygram from A&M, hah.

I am starting to get full on custom orders towards the end of the year and christmas, so if you want something custom, sooner rather than later is better, but I should have a lot of bowls/cutting boards available for a while.

Feel free to contact me at gramswoodworks at geemail dot com, or look me up on facebook under 'grams woodworks'.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Patterns are random? Would it be impossible to do any sort of A&M pattern?
agrams
AG
It would not be impossible, but it would be a much more involved process to make, probably doubling labor and time. The more refined you want the pattern, the more pieces it takes and more work to layout.
agrams
AG
As mentioned, here is what I can hand carve in the side of the boards in regards to names/whatnot.

LuvMarley
Beautiful work, Definitely will keep in mind for wedding gifts.
1208HawkTree
AG
Email sent.
CapeAggie89
AG
I have one made by Agrams, great work and highest quality. Use it all the time !
Milwaukees Best Light
Bbatt99
AG
Email sent.
1208HawkTree
AG
Looking forward to getting mine. First class guy to deal with and the price can't be beat.
Roger That
AG
Are you able to make one with a drip groove?
agrams
AG
I had posted this and really forgot about it. I think anyone who has emailed me I've replied too, but if I haven't, post your info here or email me at gramswoodworks@gmail.com and I will get back to you ASAP. I am on schedule to have all Christmas boards out by Thursday/Friday of this week so they should arrive in plenty of time for the 25th. I just finished up another dozen that most are spoken for, but I will have another dozen or so finished by Wednesday, most of those are up for the taking. If anyone is curious I can post a few pictures of the new boards, given that woods/patterns always change depending on what I have on hand.

Roger, I am able to do blood grooves, but the challenge there is always some minor burn marks in the corners, just from having to slow down the router on the jig. There is an inherent risk of routing end grain, so it is usually about a modest (5-10$ depending on the size of the board) upmark for the blood groove (I have had the jig grab the grain before and screw up a board, so I am just trying to balance my risk).
agrams
AG
Another hobby of mine is wood turning, and I've been busy with that this year, so I have a lot of bowls on hand/

You can see everything I have to offer at:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/GramsWoodworks

Though don't buy through there, contact me first. I will knock some off the price of the bowls for Ags.

Tagguy
AG
Wow very nice. I wish I had seen this sooner. One of those bowls would have been a great Christmas present for my parents.

I'm sure I'll be ordering one at some point.
mustang6tee8
AG
Do you have any blanks that are ready to turn for a 6"-10" bowl? Want to get some for a friend.
agrams
AG
edit: maybe I misread your question. Do you want blanks you can finish turn?

mustang, I probably have about 20-30 roughed out/dry bowls at the moment. I take logs and turn them to a rough form (~1" thick in roughly whatever shape I am going for) then let those dry for 3-6 months, at that point they are warped/dried and I will put them on the lathe to turn them to final thickness. If you have a specific form in mind that I don't have, I would have to turn a green blank and dry it. If you really don't care about form, I have a lot of bowls of various sizes that are dry and waiting to be finished. Do you have anything in particular in mind for shape/style?

this is an older picture of what I had drying, but this is typical as to what I have in progress at any one time (ignore the foreground). Right now I have a bunch of ash and elm that need to get roughed out, so those are on the list of things to do.

studioone
i've got bowl blanks if ur looking for some..

email darrin@avalonweddingsbcs.com

1208HawkTree
AG
Got mine yesterday and it is awesome. Turnaround is amazing and so is the end product. Exactly what I was looking for: 20"x17", about 1.75 inches thick, blood groove all around and hand grips to carry this beast. Maiden voyage tomorrow for a 15+ lb brisket that's going low and slow as of midnight tonight. I'll send you a picture with the meat on it like you requested.
mustang6tee8
AG
I don't have any specific form in mind. What species do you have of the 20-30 roughed out?

Oh- I got a router for Christmas. Time to make a lot of noise!
studioone
bvturners.com is our local turning group anywhere from pens to $30,000 sculptures..

and i have literally hundreds of pen blanks if anyone wants some a lot are spalted and need to be treated with cactus juice...
Superdave1993
AG
Picked up a pecan bowl and cutting board from agrams this weekend. Photos cannot do it justice. Both are beautiful, and rule #1.

TexAg2016
AG
Ordered three cutting boards from AGrams. His work is Phenomenal. Just my .02
Texker
AG
quote:
Picked up a pecan bowl and cutting board from agrams this weekend. Photos cannot do it justice. Both are beautiful, and rule #1.

Damn nice!
Reload8098
AG
Purchased 4 cutting boards as Christmas gifts. They look fantastic and everyone loved them.
AggieStout
AG
agrams, could you do a cigar ash tray? If so how much would something like this cost?

Something like this
AggieStout
AG
Paging agrams
stick93
AG
Try him on the Outdoors or Home Improvement board.
agrams
AG
sorry for the delay, this board is not on my regular list of browsing. shoot me an email at gramswoodworks at geemail dot com. I could do an ash tray, but round would be easier than hexagon, but either would be possible. I think I have some scrap mesquite or bois d'arc that I could glue up that would work well for that.

Thanks to all those who posted positive comments. I like to stand by what I do and I hope you guys get years of good use out of them.
lb1lb2
AG
can you turn lamp pendents? those would add something special to kitchen or bar area. let me know if possible at williefrostseven 9 at gmail
retiredintx
AG
just ordered 2 bowls, beautiful work!

your offer tod sicount to Ag's is appreciated, however, work like yours deserves to get paid
agrams
AG
Bob, thanks for the compliments. I just printed out the shipping label and got the bowls boxed up. That spalted poplar has some of the most unique grain coloration I have come across. I finished up one of my two remaining pieces from that tree the other week, and wish I could find more trees like it.

DallasAggie2012
AG
Man I wish I would have seen this thread before getting a Boos Block for Christmas! Your boards are beautiful agrams! Really amazing work. I will definitely be keeping you in mind for future presents and myself.

Do you ever do any smaller wood turning? Such as a muddler. I have been looking at these PUG Muddlers, and I would like to get one, but the guy who makes them can get a little backlogged on occasion. Do you do anything similar to this? It is about 11.5" long, and 1.5" at the bottom for reference.

agrams
AG
DallasAg, i have done smaller stuff like salt/pepper grinders and ice cream scoop handles, i just don't post pics of those items.

That wouldn't be too difficult to turn, and I have some Osage/bois d'arc blanks that would be about the right size for making them from a single piece of wood. Other woods though I would need to turn from glued up blanks as i usually dont have those woods on hand in that size.
agrams
AG
I have had a lot of requests/orders for larger boards (sizeable enough to break down a chicken, or process a brisket on). I have a few left over that are in the 16x19 to 19x19 range if anyone is interested. They range from $85-$110 depending on size. All of the larger ones have blood/juice grooves, it just makes sense to me for a board that large to have containment. I know how messy breaking down a brisket can be to cut up.

Size is always deceptive in pictures, but they are pretty darn massive.

I've also been working on some muddlers that have been requested. Fun projects that are cool to make from different woods/combinations.

PuryearFratDaddy
AG
Just bought 4 boards as gifts a few weeks ago...great looking, quality and recipients love them!!!
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.