Thoughts on Dixie Chicken Domino Tables??

13,886 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TowerAg90
pjljr08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My buddy and I have been building dominoes tables much like the ones people play on in the Dixie Chicken (PICS imgur.com/a/A1gU2). We made one just so we'd have a decent surface to play 42 on, but then we ended up making two more for some people that liked the first one. That got me thinking that there may be some other Ags out there looking for tables like these as well.
So, would any of you guys be interested in something like this if it was available? We don't have a business model or anything like that yet, but I was hoping to get an idea of the potential market before we really put a lot of time and energy into it.

Also, what seems like a fair price for one of these? The one pictured is made out of cedar, but we could do them out of any wood. After figuring our time and materials, it seemed like ~$300-350 would be about right, but, again, we haven't put a ton of thought into it yet.

What do y'all think? Any ideas, tips, or questions?

Thanks!!
Aggiemike96
AG
Good looking tables! Would you ship? If not (shipping's probably a pain anyway), where are you located?
pjljr08
AG
Thanks, it was our first attempt. I am in College Station, my buddy is in Houston. I'm sure we could work out some kind of shipping.
agdoc2001
AG
Looks great! I'd buy one.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Deerslayer65
I would be interested...email me:
ccddbb65 at hotmail dot com
KDubAg
AG
I don't play dominoes but that table looks great. Good job.
OnlyForNow
AG
So for the basic table what are you looking at for price?

cedar table?

plain table with laquer?

cedar table with laquer?

Plain table with slate top?

Plain table laquered with slate top?

I've got multiple people that I showed this too that wanted to know all those things.

If you think you could get back to me later this week I'd appreciate it!

email is in profile! Thanks!

Also, do you do the design?
redd38
AG
how much to make it all grimy and covered in carvings of random people's names?
fnsteffen
OnlyForNow,

I'm the other guy involved in these, and we'll work this week to get you the different options. Before that, though, I wanted to make sure I was understanding you correctly.

The plain cedar table is sealed with indoor/outdoor sealer, which works great for protection. Also, it's still slick enough for the dominoes to slide around. When you say "laquer", are you looking for a thick polyurethane layer like you'd see on a bar top?

We hadn't looked into a slate top yet, but that's an interesting idea. Are you thinking a solid top like this http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRw_4whM0-mPrFZzbPwWoV40TvwvVuob2bzNYRB6RtJmlfzUxXMAor something with tiles like this http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEAq-S-orsyBDeh7yzMy9cFBC-VC8EKtmj5FJpNzVVO9MPqGRQ?

Let us know, and we'll work on pricing for you.

Also, I did design the logo in the picture, but we don't plan on putting that on any more tables. The next logos will most likely be a block aTm or something custom that people request.

Thanks for the interest!
fnsteffen
redd38,

We'd be happy to make some that resemble the beat up and weathered tables you see in the Chicken.

We'll just need a few months(and a couple hundred cases of beer) to get that taken care of for you.
originaltexan
You have a good looking product.

Don't be limited to domino tables. You may see other requests, so be open to it. There is a need for desks and work surfaces.

The domino market is kind of like the model train market.

Good luck.
pjljr08
AG
Hey y'all, if you are interested please email us at AggieDominoTables@gmail.com.
Aggie Furniture
AG
email me chris@aggiefurniture.com

I've made these before. There is a (small) market out there for them... but shipping is unrealistic unless you sell them in kits.

I've manufactured production furniture out of College Station and out of Houston and made a decent amount of cash from my hobby. I've also been selling almost exclusively to the Aggie Network for 5 years and worked with lots of organizations around the campus.

I could give yall some sound advice and help yall with getting the carpentry right.
igotworms
AG
Cool product! I would definitely be interested in buying one once I get my house in December/January!
OnlyForNow
AG
As long as their coated and not rough that's good for me. I can add laquer later if I wanted.

I'm in Houston so I could pickup. And I like the non single piece top, obviously the slate excluded.
pjljr08
AG
Well this has been some awesome feedback. We are going to build a couple this weekend and should have more pictures on Monday.
pjljr08
AG
imgur.com/a/Gatv6

Just some new pics.
jmc2000
Are you still building domino tables???
plowboy1065
bonfarr
AG
I am interested in one of these for board games, still available?
TowerAg90
AG
Yeah those are pretty badass...I like the wooden ones and the slate top ain't bad either. How'd I miss this in 2012?? Blue star to you guys
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.