Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

A&M belongs in the SEC

45,124 Views | 244 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ColoradoMooseHerd
HOLDEN, M. D.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We should have done this a decade ago.

Its where we belong.
RPTS_AG_07
good ol boy
I agree.
TornRip
tu would never join the SEC and I doubt we'd go anywhere without each other.
good ol boy
eff tu.
bullard21k
AG
I think A&M is where they should be. However I think Arkansas should have been in the big XII to begin with.

Baylor/Colorado/Iowa State should not be in the big XII. I think baylor should have been in either the mountain west with TCU or in CUSA with UH and Rice. Colorado and Iowa State while in the big 8 before the merger has just always seemed "out of place" imo.
TorcanoAG2004
AG
we're fine where we are - i would like to see Arkansas in the Big XII though - would be great to see them replace ISU, i would say Baylor but at least they actually compete in all the major sports
squirrelhunter
Why do some of you guys have such a hard on for the SEC?

Do you really want our athletic department to start a ten year slide into oblivion like Arkansas has done? Arkansas days as a major power ended the day they left the SWC because their recruiting grounds in Texas got left behind too.

We already have trouble competing against OU, OSU Tech and tu for the top Texas talent, so why should we open Texas up top SEC schools like Georgia, Florida and Tennessee that do not have a major presence here?

And what would being in the SEC do for us? Better TV contract? Sounds great, we could watch all of our teams get stomped by the SEC East and LSU just like Arkansas does.
TorcanoAG2004
AG
i thought Arkansas won the SEC West this year and lost in the title game to the National Champions, call me crazy, but i dont think that is getting stomped

although i dont think it would be a good idea, at all, for A&M to move to the SEC, i think you can come up with some better arguments
Gigem314
AG
I think we'd have some very marketable and entertaining match-ups if we were in the SEC. Our hated rivalry with LSU, our old rivalry with Arkansas, plus Alabama and Auburn. But wow talk about a tough division. Plus keeping t.u. on our schedule and doing a 'Florida-Florida St' deal where we play at the end of the season but in different conferences.

That probably wouldn't be the best of decisions because given our program's current place I doubt we'd win ANY of those games.

But I do wish we could get a "border war" game going again with Arkansas or LSU. Either of those teams could easily be considered a 2nd rivalry given the history. Could be a very marketable and fun matchup.
TornRip
quote:
But I do wish we could get a "border war" game going again with Arkansas or LSU.
We don't need another big program raiding our recruits.
Windy City Ag
AG
They are doing it already, man.
DanishAggie
AG
To be honest, I dont think we could hand with SEC teams. May be after 2 or 3 dominating season I will reconsider my statement!
CrockerAg98
AG
No desire to be in a situation where we thank Vandy and UK for keeping us out of the cellar. We're fine where we are. SEC has a better tv contract (at least it seems that way. And their game production always seems to kick ass), but the grass is always greener, blah, blah. I might feel different if we had done it when the SWC went away, but certainly not now.
FtBendTxAg
AG
The Big XII was a dumb idea. From a money point it was brilliant, but I'm not a fan of the Big XII.

Would much rather be in the SEC playing Ark and LSU every single season.

I have no interest in traveling to Ames, Iowa or Lubbock, Tx for sporting events

[This message has been edited by FtBendTxAg (edited 4/24/2007 4:15a).]
BQ Mole Man
AG
quote:
I have no interest in traveling to Ames, Iowa or Lubbock, Tx for sporting events

Then, by all means, we should realign.

Your travel plans should be the determining factor.
FtBendTxAg
AG
This thread is about being in the SEC. I was just supporting the arguement with a weak opinion.. I know for a fact my travel plans are not a factor. Thanks, though!
navy57
S
NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

Bring Arkansas INTO the Big 12 South and kick Baylor OUT. That's the way to go!! No more Floyd Casey Stadium(?) would be worth the effort alone.

Fayettville's relatively close to both OK schools as well as to KU. KSU, and MU.

Arkansas has an old and natural rivalry with both tu and A&M. It has NO natural rivalries in the SEC. The SEC campus nearest to Fayettville is Oxford, MS.

Frank Broyles at is going to retire (physically) and set the Razorbacks free from his dictatorial hold. Going to the SEC was his idea. It was a bad one to begin with. It's time to kill it.

Gig 'Em, Aggies !!
Eyeballs
Where ever ut goes ATM goes, that's just a simple fact. SEC will never take us or any major school into the mix. The SEC would probably add a small team in a major market for TV deals and recruits.
TraditionsPD
AG
We have to have a private school in the conference....Either Baylor stays (who brings in revenue in other sports) or we get tcu or smu.
Outrigger
The sec is definitely where a bunch of the aggie fans belong. They would fit right in at bama, lsu, arkie, etc.

Gig'em<BR>Outrigger<BR>
FrontPorchAg
Fact of the matter is LSU already grabs a fair number of Texas recruits. We mine as well reap the benifits of a big game.
Mac94
AG
It isn't going to happen, but it was close to happening in the mid-1990's. The SEC did want us, LSU was going to sponsor us, and we had interest as well. Politcal pressure from the State Legislature kept us from going that route. So much was going around back then, rumors of Texas and Colorado going to the Pac-10 ... the Big-10 showing interest in Nebraska, etc.

If we had gone east, the series with Texas might have ended. If we had gone east Texas most likely would have gone west .... and they would have to have decided to keep the A&M-Texas series as an OOC series, keep the Red River game with OU as an OOC game or do both. Given that they would have games with the likes of UCLA, USC, Washington, Oregon, etc each week, I don't know if they would want two locked in tough OOC games.

But, we would have had natural rivals in LSU and Arkansas, a history with Alabama, and at the time Jackie Sherrill was still at Mississippi St. As to how we would have done ... we probably would have gotten our backsides kicked early just like Arkansas did ... but I do think we could have recruited kids to play SEC football. We would have adapted as Arkansas did and done okay.

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." The words of Jesus; John 16:33
HOLDEN, M. D.
quote:

Florida-SEC
Florida St.-ACC
SwampFox
It's not ever going to happen now, that ship has set sail. However, I agree that we are an SEC team in the Big XII. We're just going to have to deal with the suck that is the Big XII, i.e. besides OU, UT, and us (Baylor doesn't really have a fanbase) all the other teams are either in states that are LOSING population or, in the case of CU, in a granola eating hippie zone that doesn't care about football.
Lekner XII
AG
CU makes a lot more sense in the Big 12 than Iowa State. CU has been a powerhouse in football and they have the money to pour into it, even if they aren't really showing up right now. They'll be resurgent. ISU hasn't and won't.
Mac94
AG
Honestly, for the Big-12 to work we need Nebraska and Colorado back to top 10 form. Part of the draw of out league back in the mid 1990's was that these two teams were powers. Yeah, they may not sit in large TV markets, but their name and ranking had drawing power across the country. People from LA to Miami would watch the Huskers because thye knew they were gonna see a great team ... one of the elite. When Nebraska became a 7-5 team ... no one cared.

This conferecne needs it's name teams strong ... Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, and Colorado. Since we don't have the TV markets in out geographic area ... we have to survive on our tradition and power. To be relevent, these four teams must be good ... esp the two northern teams. Since those two schools slid, the conference has begun having TV issues.

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." The words of Jesus; John 16:33
txagfred04
we need baylor as a private institution. maybe we could swap them for tcu. even arkies aggree they should swap for iowa lite
Tex117
AG
quote:

This is probably the most true statement made about conferences talk.

Holden, not that I know much about Florida anything, but UT/A&M's connection goes way beyond that of football. Perhaps more than the Florida schools. Also, Texans are by nature a firey/loyal bunch who would kick up more of a fuss if Texas and A&M were not in the same conference.

That being said....How sweet would it be not go to Kansas and head on to Alabama? Dear lord, I never would have graduated college.

AlexNguyen
quote:

If we had gone east, the series with Texas might have ended.

Very true. A&M to the SEC means the end of T+1. You'd have to change many of the traditions surround 'tu' to mean Tennessee instead.
rbtexan
S
Not that any of this will ever happen, but my personal realignment choice would be...
lose Baylor, and either Iowa State or Missouri
add Arkansas, TCU

The bashing may now begin...I'd just like to see it for sentimental reasons, my dad was corps commander at A&M and my mother was homecoming queen at TCU...I saw a lot of those games growing up.
SwampFox
quote:
That being said....How sweet would it be not go to Kansas and head on to Alabama? Dear lord, I never would have graduated college.

Ditto. It would have been great!
Nagler
AG
quote:
Not that any of this will ever happen, but my personal realignment choice would be...
lose Baylor, and either Iowa State or Missouri
add Arkansas, TCU

I like it, get it done
Mac94
AG
quote:
Very true. A&M to the SEC means the end of T+1. You'd have to change many of the traditions surround 'tu' to mean Tennessee instead.

Not really ... there were two main traditions ones around the Texas game. First is the War Hymn and that doesn't need to change. We sign the War Hymn for OU and Baylor and evenyone else, it wouldn't need change. The other was Bonfire. Back in the mid 1990's that would have caused quite a stir ... but today it is gone as an official thing. Elephant walk could easily be done with our last game against any opponent and none of our other traditions would need to change ... other than fish spurs, but those changed from SMU back in the day so they could change again.

BullSprig07
AG
quote:
Bring Arkansas INTO the Big 12 South and kick Baylor OUT

ya the Big 12 south needs to be harder. I agree the big 12 could use Arkansas but put them into the north and kick out one of those crappy schools.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.