Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

A&M belongs in the SEC

45,325 Views | 244 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ColoradoMooseHerd
ac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
But what about other sports? A&M/UT home and home each year in basketball draws a lot of fan interest. If the 2 schools go seperate ways, you would lose that.
Davy_Crockett
AG
They have nonconference games in other sports. In fact many more nonconference games in sports other than in football. I am not all that concerned about other sports.
NukeAg10
AG
not this again. please make this thread be gone.

we belong in the big 12. end of story.
hog_fan_08

No desire to be in a situation where we thank Vandy and UK for keeping us out of the cellar. We're fine where we are. SEC has a better tv contract (at least it seems that way. And their game production always seems to kick ass), but the grass is always greener, blah, blah. I might feel different if we had done it when the SWC went away, but certainly not now.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you want, watch Kentucky this year in football. He is very good. They went down to Florida and gave them fits all the way through the 4th Quarter. Their QB is one of the best in the country. Vandy on the other hand, jsut SUCKS!!!
Frisco - Ag
oink#1
I would love to have A&M in the SEC. With that said, not a chance the hogs go to the Big 12. We're having to much fun! Would love to have you join us.
txagfred04
what they think of us:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=135668.0
BigAG98
AG
for the 100th time we should be in the sec. we should have left in the 90's when were asked to join. we should have given bullock and richards the heisman.

END OF STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Frisco - Ag
AG
^
^

It's done wonders for arky. How many coaches rejected their BB program before they finally landed a high school coach.
carney man ar
Yeah, we suck at basketball.

Pelphrey isn't worth crap. He'll probably only take us to the Sweet 16 a few times.

Maybe some day we will be as good as A&M.

Oh, wait. You got to the Sweet 16 and your coach left for the SEC.

My bad.

Hint: Aggies shouldn't post basketball smack. Or football. Or SEC smack. Or any smack, for that matter.

Unless its women's softball. You can have that.
BRP
^

Go get me a corn dog you lil sucker... and tell yer toothferless girlfriend to make me a sammich.
cj774
AG
can we let this topic die?

BigAG98
AG
I'm proud of our football history. We can talk plenty of smack to plenty of schools regarding football.
SwampFox
We do!
Frisco - Ag
AG
Ark tard -

You are an SEC bottom feeder. Truth hurts.
WizardofHawgz
The truth that hurts is that the U of A has dominated Aggie decade after decade after decade stretching back to the 40's. If you consider Arkansas a "bottom feeder" (and we are, by the way, fresh off a very exciting appearance in the SEC Championship game where we gave National Champions Florida a MUCH better game than Ohio State did), just imagine what would happen to the Aggies?

[This message has been edited by WizardofHawgz (edited 5/10/2007 6:31p).]
Frisco - Ag
AG
Just curious. When was your last conference C-Ship? 20 years ago in the SWC.....

A&M
Conference Titles:
Southwest:
1917, 1919, 1921, 1925, 1927,
1939, 1940, 1941, 1956, 1967, 1975,
1985, 1986, 1987, 1991, 1992,
Big Twelve:

arky
Conference Titles:
Southwest:
1933, 1936, 1946, 1954, 1959,
1960, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1968,
1975, 1979, 1988, 1989
SEC:
NONE

Keep living in the 60's hillbilly. TCU has more skins than you do.

nelson muntz
If we were to join the SEC, would we have to trade in our 12th Man towels for pom-poms?
Verne Lundquist
AG
quote:
If we were to join the SEC, would we have to trade in our 12th Man towels for pom-poms?

I hope so

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sl8ZMK8_b8k
RDV-1992
On the original question, the SEC is an awesome conference - typically regarded as the deepest/strongest in the US. But this academic year aside, I don't think there is a huge difference between the SEC and the Big 12. A&M in the SEC would be great, but we're in the Big 12, and minus a huge realignment that's where we're staying, so the question is moot.

On another note, the thread on Hogville.net has a good point that is just as applicable for A&M as for Arkansas. That is that rivalries take time to develop, and in 20 years Arkansas (or in our case A&M) will develop stronger rivalries with the new teams we're competing against. We've already developed stronger rivalries with OK State, OU, & KSU. These will strengthen, and others will come in time.

I also think that the Big 12 missed the boat when they didn't preserve OU vs. Nebraska as an annual game. I think that one permanent rivalry game versus a Big 12 North team would be great for the conference. You could have the following:

A&M - KSU
Baylor - ISU
OU - Nebraska
OSU - KU
t.u. - Colorado
Tech - Missouri

Games versus the other teams would rotate on a two year basis.

[This message has been edited by RDV-1992 (edited 5/13/2007 10:51a).]
Player To Be Named Later
AG
quote:
We've already developed stronger rivalries with OK State, OU, & KSU. These will strengthen, and others will come in time.

Is that so? In 12 years of Big 12 Football I don't see any of the former Big 8 schools as remotely a rival. Just another conference game. They're big games if they happen to be good at the time because they're another conference game. But if the game with OSU, K-State, OU means nothing in the conference race then I don't think many Aggies would get all excited over game day against those teams.

A "rivalry" is big even without things on the line.

Oh, and an annual game against K-State. . . <yawn>

[This message has been edited by Lawdawg95 (edited 5/13/2007 11:14a).]
Davy_Crockett
AG
Kansas State? You have to be kidding.
Yeah, nothing matches the anticipation of the excitement that awaits at another plastic grass field on the plains surrounded by aluminum erector set bleachers. Woo Hoo!

I have had enough of this plastic grass league. All of our big conference rivalry games should be played on Tifton Bermuda home or away. If they can’t grow it there then we don’t need to go there.

Texas97
Texas is not in the Southeast my friends. We are in the SOUTHWEST. Hell, I consider Oklahoma more similar to us than SEC. Head out to SW Oklahoma and you can't tell a difference between that and north Texas. Head out to East Oklahoma and you can't tell much difference between East Texas.

In football, Texas, Nebraska and OU are #3, 4, and 8 (respectively) in # of all-time wins. SEC has only 2 in the top 10, only 1 in the top 8.

As for the fans, I have actually been to a football or basketball game at every Big 12 campus (basketball-only at KU and OU, football for the rest). I have had a blast at all. OSU reminds me a ton of A&M (campus-wise and alums). ISU doesn't offer much, I'll grant that. Neither does KSU likely as well. But I feel like values-wise, I have more in common with Big 12 fans/alums than SEC.

Personally I wish they named the conference the Big Southwest Conference (like I said OU and OSU are in the Southwest and their citizens consider themselves SW). Maybe at least rename the divisons the "Southwest Divison" and "Midwest Division".

Another point, I went to the UT/Arkansas game in 2004 and by and large their fans (especially fans my age ~30 and older) did miss the rivalries on the SWC. Being the new kid on the block in the SEC, they haven't had a rival stick like they did with UT. And Arkansas is ~3 hours from OSU and OU. Imagine the possibilities there -- Arkansas vs OU/OSU/Texas/Tech/A&M. They, not us, missed the boat.
Texas97
The best article I have read on the formation of the Big 12 conference was in a DCTF 2-3 years ago. And Ann Richards was not a part of the formation per the article.
maroonmadness06
no
Texas97
Another thing, I like the Big 12 (as a UT alum) but by no means is it perfect. The OU/Nebraska rivarly needs to be maintained. They needed to come up with better names than Big 12 South/North. How about Southwest and Midwest Divisions?

Also they need to market that UT/Nebraska rivalry as well.

But more than anything they need to market the conference as a whole better and it sounds like from recent negotiations they might be doing that (solidifying Big 12 as the anchor of the Big Monday on ESPN basketball, and getting some football on ESPN). Honestly, I don't know how Weiberg still has a job.
RDV-1992
Texas97 - agreed on Weiberg & the OU-Nebraska rivalry. When they cancelled that game on an annual basis, they threw out the baby with the bathwater IMO.
Texas97
Oklahoma City is alot more like Dallas than most want to admit.
Jim Hogg is angry
AG

hunter2012
AG
TampaBayAg said:

TexasAggiesWin
S
West Point Aggie said:

A&M and tu are INSEPARABLE! That will never change!
HowdyTAMU
AG
Texas97 said:

The best article I have read on the formation of the Big 12 conference was in a DCTF 2-3 years ago. And Ann Richards was not a part of the formation per the article.
Revisionist history...but that's never stopped a Longhorn from passionately ignoring the reality of history.
redd38
AG
*quickly scans thread for stupid stuff I might have said 9 years ago*
phatbeast
AG
What a great thread. Glad I wasn't on TA back then. I'm sure I would have said something unbelievably stupid.
Capt. America
AG
Nice little bump here.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.