Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

A&M belongs in the SEC

45,315 Views | 244 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ColoradoMooseHerd
BigAG98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
thisisnick,

don't be an idiot. go look at some US News & World Report ratings.

Academically we are superior to everyone in the SEC but Vanderbilt.
citagg83
Why would we want to watch mediocroty turn to sheet? Just wondering.
BullSprig07
AG
both the horns and ourselves are head and shoulders above the rest of the Big 12 academically. Only Baylor and maybe Colorado are even close. With the exception of Vanderbilt it would be the same in the SEC. From memory we would be neck and neck with Georgia as the second best institution (could be wrong, I would guess Florida is pretty good). It's a pretty dumb argument, we're pretty much ahead of everybody here and we'd be at the top of the pack there, whats the difference. KSU and ISU arent exactly academic whales compared to Mississippi St. and Arkansas last time I checked, what difference does it make?

[This message has been edited by bigfinch07 (edited 4/25/2007 2:06p).]
cypresstexas
Compare the number of National Championships between both conferences since the Big 12's founding - Adv. SEC (SEC 4, Big 12 3)

Compare the number of Heisman Trophy Winners since the Big 12's founding - Adv. Big 12 (Big 12 3, SEC 1)

Compare the number of BCS National Title game appearances since the Big 12's founding - Adv. Big 12

Compare the number of Association of American Universities (AAU) in the Big 12 vs. the SEC - Adv. Big 12 (Big 12 has 7, SEC has 2)

Compare the TV contract revenue payouts of the Big 12 vs. the SEC - Adv. SEC (works out to about $850k more per school/annually)

Compare the Head to Head record of Big 12 vs. SEC schools - Even

Here's an interesting study put forth by the US Sports Academy detailing the Case of Big 12 Football:

http://www.thesportjournal.org/2007Journal/Vol10-No2/Perline08.asp

[This message has been edited by cypresstexas (edited 4/25/2007 5:11p).]
tommyjohn
BigAG98-

Check your facts

Florida is higher and Georgia is tied.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/t1natudoc_brief.php
tommyjohn
SEC has 6 in top 100 and Big 12 has 7.
BigAG98
AG
So what's your point tommyjohn, we are behind maybe 2 schools (Vandy and Georgia) academically. So that puts us in the top 3. I would call us leaders in the SEC academically.

If you don't your an idiot.

BigAG98
AG
If you include Vandy, Florida, and us tied with Georgia we are in top 3 academically of the SEC.

That makes us leaders in the SEC academically.
ac
If academics are so important to a conference, then why didn't the Big XII take Rice?
tommyjohn
true but you said

"Academically we are superior to everyone in the SEC but Vanderbilt."

Bascially looking down your nose at the academics of every institution in the SEC.

I never claimed that A&M would not be in the top tier of academics in the SEC as I believe they would be.

[This message has been edited by tommyjohn (edited 4/25/2007 7:22p).]

[This message has been edited by tommyjohn (edited 4/25/2007 7:26p).]
legionfield
That is a great idea. Come on down. We would love to have the Aggies and Longhorns. It would be a true super conference!

[This message has been edited by legionfield (edited 4/25/2007 8:26p).]
Player To Be Named Later
AG
I know it will never happen but I have always wished we were in the SEC instead of the Big 12. Just never have been able to get excited about the Big 12 at all.

Outside of A&M games I'm much more inclined to tune into an SEC football game of any matchup vs a Big 12 game not involving A&M.

Who knows from a financial standpoint but from a pure entertainment angle the SEC would be a LOT more fun than the Big 12.
cypresstexas
We haven't been all that successful in the Big 12, what makes you think we'd be any better in the SEC? (Remember the Cotton Bowl?)

[This message has been edited by cypresstexas (edited 4/25/2007 8:53p).]
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Guess we had better give up plans to play in the ultra competitive Pac-10.

Seriously though, yeah we'd probably get hammered in the SEC right now. But it would still be more fun than the Big 12.

Granted, it's not going to happen.
WestAustinAg
AG
Agreed - let's go to the SEC. Big XII is a promotional black hole. TKC f/k/a/ BCG was right on this btw. The league is slowly decomposing toward the level of the SWC.

I dont know why because we've more than our share of national champions in football, but yet the perception is building that our conference is weaking each year relative to other conferences. I have to assume it is partly leadership and partly demographics.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Good points West. Although it was worlds better than the SWC at the time it never really made all that much sense to me. Yeah, it rescued us from a dying league but the "marriage" always seemed strange.

The combination of the core Texas teams with a bunch of midwestern square states is pretty hard to package and "sell".

Yeah, there are some great programs, but for whatever reasons the league really hasn't created any new rivalries or buzz.
Eyeballs
Those mid-western states just drag this league into nothingness. I have always though that the big-12 is not going to do the things that we thought. You cannot just build it and think they will come, it does not work that way. This pig cannot be sexed up at all.
Duck Blind
AG
I'm digging a move to the SEC. I thought it should have happened decades ago...
WestAustinAg
AG
If we are going to make the Big XII work we really need to expand with at least one more sexy team with an entirly different state fanbase following and a go-go-go set of fans. That is Arkansas or BYU or Iowa. Any others?
TENBOLLS
Thanks for the laugh, guys. This discussion is priceless.

BigAG98
AG
tenbolls,

how is it priceless? you do know we were asked to join the SEC don't you?
William_C_G
AG
I am shocked at the number of Aggies who would like to give up 4 natural and old rivalries (tu, Baylor, Tech, and OU) for 2 dying rivalries (LSU and Ark). I am old enough to remember playing LSU and Ark regularly, and those two schools have as many trashy fans as any in America. I know quite a few decent t-sips, but I know hardly any decent pigs and tiggers. Even the rest of the SEC considers those two schools to be the garbage of the league. Academically we are a much better fit with the Big 12 and athletically the Big 12 will return to prominence. Having said all of that, the name "Big 12" is a stupid name for a conference; the conference should have been named the "Heartland Conference," which not only would have described where it was located, but the values mostly held here.
thisisnick
Would have posted this yesterday but damned my rook status. Apparently I posted too much...

First off
quote:
don't be an idiot. go look at some US News & World Report ratings.

I'm not an idiot so I did.

18. Vanderbilt University(TN)
47. University of Texas—Austin *
47. University of Florida *
60. Texas A&M Univ.—College Station *
60. University of Georgia *
81. Baylor University(TX)
88. University of Alabama *
88. Auburn University(AL) *
88. University of Kansas *
88. Univ. of Missouri—Columbia *
98. Univ. of Nebraska—Lincoln *
112. University of Kentucky *
112. Univ. of South Carolina—Columbia *
112. University of Oklahoma *

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/t1natudoc_brief.php

Secondly, was not trying to argue which conference was better academically. That was not my intention. I just don't like completely ignorant statements like
quote:
Academically SEC schools are zip, nada, zeros, the exception is Vanderbilt. At least in the Big 12 we can say we compete with people who have three digits in their IQs and two eyes facing forward
There are some good schools in the SEC just as there are in the Big XII. Why the ignorance?

And to get back to the original topic, I don't like the Big XII right now b/c we are not the conference I thought we would be. I would rather stay and make it better but at the same time if we had the oppertunity to go right now I hope we wouldn't pass up on the offer twice...
TENBOLLS
quote:
how is it priceless?

Mostly because y'all are barely competitive in the conference you're currently in, and you want to go to one where you will be cellar dwellers. (I address only football, as you guys--at least last year--were pretty good in BB, and the thread has centered primarily on football.) Judging from most of the remarks here, it is because the Big 12 "just isn't good enough for us." LMAO!!! Do you know how ridiculous that sounds to the rest of us???

quote:
you do know we were asked to join the SEC don't you?

Trust me, you guys want no part of the SEC. For however good A&M might have been in a weak SWC during your 10-12 year stretch when the "invitation" happened, it has been a free fall since then by any objective standard. Any *recent* invitations?

Again, laughable. Take off your maroon glasses for just two seconds and you'll see that.

Win the Big 12 consistently, and we'll talk about your leaving for "better competition." You haven't even sniffed the division title in years, let alone the conference title.

The Chicken Ranch
AG
A&M should have been in the SEC a long time ago. First of all, some of y'all are idiots if you think that we would quit playing tu due to us being in different conferences (see UF/FSU, Clemson/USC, UGA/Ga Tech, etc.). Second, please don't compare our ability to be competitive with that of Arkansas - apples to oranges. Thrid, we fit better culturally and geographically with the SEC. Fourth, the SEC would literally "wet" in their pants to have Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston in their tv markets.

As of right now, both us and tu cannot both go to a BCS Bowl or both can't win the conference. This is something that FSU and UF figured out long ago. How many times have both UF and FSU BOTH won their conference and BOTH gone to a BCS bowl?

Think about it.
Midland Aggie
AG
What is the basis of how schools are ranked academically?

Lets be realistic, what does this really mean?

People on this board are constantly knocking tech grads, among others. Today we are knocking the academic standards of the entire SEC, except Vand. of course.
Usually this kind of talk is due to sports rivalries, but sometimes I think you guys are serious.
I live in Midland and we have a large number of tech grads in the oil business. As a group they are very sharp, intelligent and successful. The ones that I know are also first class people as well.
Academic smack talk, when you are being serious is just rediculous!
Mac94
AG
The Chicken Ranch -

The idea of us not playing t.u. again was based on the the 1990's senario in which we went to the SEC (close to happening) and Texas going to the Pac-10 (they flirted with the option. If that had happened Texas would have had to decide it they wanted to lockl in both the A&M and OU series as OOC foes to go along with their Pac-10 slate. They may not have wanted to lock in such a tough schedule and they would have to chose between their two historic rivals. It isn't a reach to think they may have chosen OU. Regardless, the choice would have been theirs, not ours.

thisisnick -

quote:
And to get back to the original topic, I don't like the Big XII right now b/c we are not the conference I thought we would be. I would rather stay and make it better but at the same time if we had the oppertunity to go right now I hope we wouldn't pass up on the offer twice...

the weakness of this conference is fairly new and is directly tied to the fall of the northern powers. This was viewed as a very strong and we usually had 4 or 5 teams finish in the top 25. Here are the final AP rankings for each season for Big-12 teams since 1996:

Nebraska #6
Colorado #8
Kansas St. #17
Texas #23

Nebraska #2 (co-National Champ with Michigan)
Kansas St. #8
A&M #20
Missouri #23
Okla St. #24

Kansas St. #10
A&M #11
Texas #15
Nebraska #19
Missouri #21

Nebraska #3
Kansas St. #6
Texas #21
A&M #23

Oklahoma #1 (National Champions)
Nebraska #8
Kansas St. #9
Texas #12
Iowa St. #25

Texas #5
Oklahoma #6
Nebraska #8
Colorado #9

Oklahoma #5
Texas #6
Kansas St. #7
Colorado #20

Oklahoma #3
Texas #12
Kansas St. #14
Nebraska #19

Oklahoma #3
Texas #5
Texas Tech #18

Texas #1 (National Champion)
Texas Tech #20
Oklahoma #22
Nebraska #24

Oklahoma #11
Texas #13

The problem was the fall of the three big northern schools; Nebraska, Colorado, and Kansas St. The question is, can they regain their form. We need two of them to be strong to combine with OU and Texas to have a marketable conference. That is what we had as a conference in the beginning ... several top 10 teams with good second level teams. That is what we have lost. Nebraska football is marketable for TV purposes from LA to Miami when they are a top 10 team ... they are one of those teams in the sports, but a 7-5 Husker team no one cares about.

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." The words of Jesus; John 16:33
terata
AG
Yo, thisisnick, I've lived in Atlanta, and have spent extensive amounts of time living around the world. Yep, the SEC is low as far as academic excellence goes. Yes, Texas A&M, and most all the BIG 12 schools have better programs. Try not to work as hard at being a jackass, just be yourself.
ac
Yes, if A&M & UT were in seperate conferences, they could still play in football every year. But what about in other sports? Home and home between A&M in UT in basketball generates a lot of excitement. That couldn't happen if the 2 schools went seperate ways.
BigAG98
AG
Tenbolls,

We were what six points away from winning the conference last year? That's pretty competitive in my book. To say we wouldn't win the SEC is a joke. You obviously don't know much. We would win, win big rarely, just like in the Big 12. Look at how the championships in football in the Big 12 have been divided. I would say OU is the only ones that have consistently "won big" but they cheat as we all know so you need to put an * there.

Gig'em Aggies!
BigAG98
AG
thisisnick,

i had no idea that Georgia was that good of an academic school. i found new respect for them.
adairtexas
You guys just amaze me. We are 2-12 against TU, NU, OU, TT in the past 4 years. We would probably be 2-14 had we played NU in 04 and 05. How do you even think we are on par with any of the teams in the SEC? Do you really want to get beat down by UGA, UF, UT, Auburn, LSU, potentially Alabama and even Arkansas every year and in a dog fight with Vandy, UMISS, and Miss St. Yall get pissed when we finish 8-4. How would you like to have a 5-7 or 6-6 record every year because that is what playing in the SEC would do to Texas A&M football? We can't even get better than third or 4th in our own division in the Big 12. If you are all determined to move out of the Big 12, try setting your sights on a conference you can compete in and maybe even dominate like maybe Conference USA.
TENBOLLS
quote:
We were what six points away from winning the conference last year?

And how many points away from having a miserable record?

Didn't y'all struggle against Army?
BamafaninTX
quote:
Any *recent* invitations?

Lack of a "recent" invitation is not for lack of interest. The SEC is not about to expand to 14 schools and is not interested in dropping a school. If Arkansas leaves, and there have been rumours about it for years, the you can bet A&M would be at the top of a short list of schools considered as a replacement.

Personally, I wouldn't mind dropping Mississippi State or South Carolina if it meant we could add Texas A&M.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
quote:
Win the Big 12 consistently, and we'll talk about your leaving for "better competition." You haven't even sniffed the division title in years, let alone the conference title.

For me it has NOTHING to do with the Big 12 not being "tough enough" or going to the SEC for better competition.

In year 10 this league has failed to develop any real new rivalries and on a national stage it's my opinion that the league is weaker than the SEC, Pac-10, Big-10.

It's not a strength of competition issue for me. It has to do with I think we'd fit in better with the SEC and it would be a more fun league than the boring Big 12.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.