Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

A&M belongs in the SEC

45,393 Views | 244 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ColoradoMooseHerd
Frisco - Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I hate the Big XII.
AlexNguyen
The Big 12 is perfect if you want to win a national title. It's tough enough with some name programs like Texas, OU, Nebraska, Colorado, and A&M, but the slate isn't as tough as the SEC. I like it just fine the way it is, and I don't see the need for any changes.
TXAGBQ76
AG
I find it amusing that everyone thinks we should kick Baylor out of the Big XII. I do not understand why. While I have an huge dislike for Baylor and the hypocrisies they exhibit- and even more so the way they elbowed their way in. But, they are in.

Other than football, they have been very competitive and even good in almost every other sport. In fact, until recently, they beat us regularly in basketball (men and womens), baseball, tennis (men and women), track & field, etc. In fact, there were those in our state/conference that were questioning why WE "deserved" to be in the Big XII- strictly based on our on the field performance.

Thank goodness we finally got a decent AD who has improved our baseball, basketball and track situations- and hopefully sometime in my lifetime we will be a recognized competitor on teh football field again.
chick79
AG
The Big 12 is actually not bad and I think it has exceeded most everyone's expectations from 10 years ago......... in all honesty, Baylor and Tech should not have been a part of it and politics is the only reason they are in. I'm OK with Tech being in it now and Baylor is certainly holding their own in the non-revenue sports........ I would like to see Arkansas in the conference though........... what we really need is a commissioner who is a visionary and a marketing guru who knows what the hell he is doing...........
Artimus Gordon
Arkansas should be in the Big 12 and Texas A&M should take their spot in the SEC.

West: A&M, LSU, Ole Miss, Miss St., Ala. Vandy

East: Fla, Ga, Tenn, S.Caro, Kentucky, Auburn

North: Vandy, Tenn, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Ala, S. Caro.

South: A&M, LSU, Miss St. Auburn, Ga, Fla.
Johnsmith
We would not stand a chance in the SEC. We would be like baylor or mississippi state. They would destory us year after year.
HOLDEN, M. D.
quote:
A&M to the SEC means the end of T+1

You do know they have these things called nonconference games right?

Once again...

Florida-SEC
Florida St.-ACC

12-7

@Kyle Field-West 11/24/06

adairtexas
Why would you want to move to a tougher conference when we cannot even beat the top teams in our current conference with any regularity. When we go 4-0 against OU, NU, TT and TU instead of 1-3 every year, then you can start talking about playing tougher competition. Actually, we might be better moving to Conference USA. Maybe then we will actually compete for and win a conference championship.
West Point Aggie
AG
A&M and tu are INSEPARABLE! That will never change!
AlexNguyen
A&M to the SEC means the end of T+1

You do know they have these things called nonconference games right?
======================================

Holden, yes I have heard of those things. I just attended two exciting games against Ohio State the last two years.

That said, no way UT agrees to continue the A&M series if you aren't conference foes. Sure we'd play from time to time, but it would NOT be an every year occurrence.
MechAG06
I guess I can see why some are down on the Big XII. We don't have as many elite teams as the SEC, but do we really want that. Am I the only one who remembers what our recent combined record against tu, Tech, and OU is?

Also, while the North is definitely "the suck," I think we've got a good thing going on down here in the South. Personally, I like the in-state matchups. I think if we were always playing against Mississippi schools it would lose something. And after the two Oklahoma school got realigned into the South after we joined the Big VIII, I think the Texas schools and the Oklahoma schools have generated a lot of interest because of our close proximity with one another. So really, I'm not too down on where we are.

And yeah...our rivalry against t.u. is way too engrained into who we are to ever be able to separate our two football programs.
Samsill98
AG
yeah, A&M needs a challenge right? I mean they're dominating the Big 12 year in and year out that it's almost a joke for anyone else to compete. They should totally go to another conference and give everyone else a change. [/sarcasm]
kjaneway
AG
quote:

The sec is definitely where a bunch of the aggie fans belong. They would fit right in at bama, lsu, arkie, etc.

Everytime Outrigger posts something like this I die laughing at his blatant hypocrisy. Was there anyone, except maybe Noseguard, who hated RC more and was as loud and vocal?

man, I hate hypocrites.
Gigem314
AG
quote:
We don't need another big program raiding our recruits.

We can't even hang on to our recruits NOW.

If we could get our crap together...we wouldn't have to worry about them raiding our recruits.
ac
If Arkansas had to do it all over again, they would have not joined the SEC and held out for the Big XII. They have to recruit in Texas to be successful and they have more in common w/Big XII schools (OU, OSU, MU) than SEC ones.

No matter who you have in a conference, somebody has to finish last. If you kick out Baylor & ISU, the schools you replace them with won't do any better. Look at Kentucky & Vanderbilt in the SEC.

CU has to be in the Big XII as they bring the Denver TV market into the mix.
Mac94
AG
ac -

If Arkansas hadn't bolted and held out for the Big-12 things would have been interesting. The old Big-8 wasn't gonna kick out any of their 8 ... and they would have wanted Arkansas, Texas, and A&M. The Texas politics that got Tech and Baylor in would have been the same so if would have been interesting to see if a) The Big-8 and old SWC merged to for a Big-14 and who would have been the extra or b) if it had to be 12 teams which political faction between the Baylor backers and the Tech backers would have won in Austin.

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." The words of Jesus; John 16:33
Mac94
AG
quote:
I guess I can see why some are down on the Big XII. We don't have as many elite teams as the SEC, but do we really want that. Am I the only one who remembers what our recent combined record against tu, Tech, and OU is?

Being "down" on the Big-12 right now is more I think an outpooring of frustration with our TV issues and the percieved leagues inability to market itself. It isn't so much the 12 teams in and of themselves.

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." The words of Jesus; John 16:33
AFarmer95
AG
I'd rather go to the Southland. We can't even win in the Big 12 south.

Then we could raise ticket prices again.
TxAginAz
AG
There is a huge advantage for A&M, tu and ou to be in different conferences.

Think of how the state of FLA has dominated College Football. One of the reasons is that their power programs were in 3 different conferences up until the new ACC grouped U of Mia and FSU together. UF is still alone in the SEC.

Instead of knocking two of the three out of a NMC title shot every year, the 3 FLA schools were in three different conferences. That gave all 3 teams a clear unobstructed path to win their respective conference and get to the NMC game. They could even possibly face each other in the NMC and did at times.

It used to be:

UF - SEC
UM - Big East
FSU- ACC

Now on to our screwed up situation:
In the BIG XII, A&M, tu and ou have to compete directly against each other just to get into a conference title game. We have been beating up on each other and canceling each other out while the FLA schools did it the smart way - up until recently.

One can see the obvious advantages that the FLA schools just gave up by grouping two schools into the ACC together.

I should have been:
A&M - SEC
tu - somewhere else. who cares?
ou - Big 8

or lump tu, ou and itt together in a conference, angain, who cares?

We could still play tu in a nonconference game every year but would also have the privilege of never having to deal with classless clown of itt. And the Ag's would be in the premiere conference to boot.

As far a A&M competing in the SEC, our recruiting would be great as the best players want to play in the best conference. That's why you see so many Texas high school blue chip players leaving for the SEC. With A&M in the SEC they could stay instate and still be in the SEC.

It's win-win for the Ag's. And that is why you have a sip on here saying it's a bad idea.

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women."

[This message has been edited by TxAginAz (edited 4/24/2007 3:38p).]
ac
Mac94,

If it had become a "Big 14" then UH would have been the extra school as they would have been another state school and brought Houston directly into the conference. If it would have remained a "Big 12" w/Arkansas then Baylor wouldn't have made the cut as a state school (Tech) would have gotten priority over a private one.
AcoldStArnolds79
AG
This is a joke, right?
Cancelled
AG
Yeah. We can't compete in the Big XII, but we should go into the toughest conference in the NCAA. Nice. Lets take a look:

Georgia - Loss
Florida - Loss
LSU - Loss
Alabama - Loss
Auburn - Loss
Kentucky - Win
Arkansas - Loss
Ole Miss - Maybe Win
Vanderbilt - Win
Mississippi State - Win
South Carolina - Loss
Tennessee - Loss

my $.02
bharris
I also wish we were in the SEC.

Most of you who are against this are looking at our program as we sit today; however, we would be an entirely different program in the SEC. Recruits would rather play against teams in the SEC than against the Big 12 North teams or against the Pac 10 if tu went there. We would dominate the rest of the State of Texas. We'd lose a few more recruits to the SEC schools, but it would be easier to tap into the fertile Louisana recruiting grounds. Some of our greatest players grew up in Louisiana. In my opinion, we would have the best natural recruiting base of all the SEC schools.

I wonder what the average attendence is for the SEC vs. the Big 12? I would bet that they have us beat by 15,000+.

Great baseball programs. Great basketball. Better material for some great "hotties" threads. (not that I read those threads - in case the wife is reading).

It will never happen.

[This message has been edited by bharris (edited 4/24/2007 8:48p).]
TexasAGitator
Another vote for the SEC here. Which would bring more attention to College Station, playing Alabama or Iowa State? Auburn or Kansas State? Florida or Oklahoma State? LSU or Baylor? Tennessee or Kansas? Georgia or Missouri? Please.
TexasAGitator
I am so excited about the SEC I decided to double post.

[This message has been edited by TexasAGitator (edited 4/24/2007 8:52p).]
FTAggies
i think with a number of more years with bill byrne, we should revisit this question. Granted with the way things were going from the sherril-rc years in football a move to the sec may have worked out who knows. But until byrne or another professional AD, got here it probably would have been very bad for us, athletically speaking, and we'd probably be exactly where we are today because there would only be so much that RC had for our program just like it ended up being.

However, as someone else pointed out, look at the last number of championship game appearances, those were mostly teams from the big XII, i think we are where we belong, hopefully the big XII will step it up, i would salivate at the opportunity to either play ark as a nonconference opponent or to have them in the big XII
aggiebear69
AG
Before the SWC was broken up, there was some discussion about forming a super conference with A&M, tu, LSU, the Hogs, OU, Ok State, Nebraska, Colorado and a couple of other schools I don't remember. The SEC is not for Texas schools, never has been never will...as has been noted, look at Arkansas's recruiting problems. The old big 8 south didn't have enough competition from their northern brethern and the LSU rivalry with A&M and Rice (yes Virginia, Rice plyed big time football at one time) was as big as their SEC rivals with the exception of Ol Miss. I'd still like to see it happen...don't have any reason to hate ISU and KState.
maroonblood08
AG
Arkansas should replace Colorado if they replace anyone. Colorado is dropping sports like they are out of date.
HOLDEN, M. D.
queso,

By that line of thinking we should restart the SWC.
BigAG98
AG
I have a posted many times regarding this issue and have always felt A&M should have left for the SEC when we got the invite.

Gov Ann Richards is a punk and so are the rest of the state legislators for strong arming A&M using "state funding" as leverage to make sure we did not bolt.

BigAG98
AG
Johnsmith,

You are truly an idiot. A&M can compete with anyone in any league.

terata
AG
Why would anyone want to be in the SEC? Academically SEC schools are zip, nada, zeros, the exception is Vanderbilt. At least in the Big 12 we can say we compete with people who have three digits in their IQs and two eyes facing forward. Damn, what the hell is wrong with you people?
rain drops
Midland Aggie
AG
If we moved to SEC, that would be the end of TEXAGS.com and A&M Football
*potbangers would scream for a new coach every year and would grow in numbers.
*Riots on campus every year do to football program never getting over 500.
*Good coaches will not come to A&M due to pressure of fan base and previous coaches being replaced on an annual basis, thus never getting a chance to rebuild program.
*Football program collapses due to lack of interest and A&M becomes an Elite Basketball School.

[This message has been edited by Midland Aggie (edited 4/25/2007 9:18a).]
thisisnick
quote:
Why would anyone want to be in the SEC? Academically SEC schools are zip, nada, zeros, the exception is Vanderbilt. At least in the Big 12 we can say we compete with people who have three digits in their IQs and two eyes facing forward. Damn, what the hell is wrong with you people?

seriously? which schools are you talking about? most of the schools in the sec are the big state schools of their state. do you actually believe academically we're that much better than sec schools? examples or is this just ignorant bias since you haven't ever left texas?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.